Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Rise of the Powers of X #1 - Preview and Gillen Interview

Last edited by JB; 01-05-2024 at 05:45 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-forever-ri...len-interview/

It's a longish interview so def worth reading for some nuggets and tidbits.

CBR: Your Immortal X-Men series comes to a close with Issue #18, but do elements from that book carry over into what you and Gerry Duggan are doing in Fall and Rise and what you're doing with X-Men: Forever?

Gillen: It's really tricky to talk about because I see this all as one motion. Not in a "you can't jump in at any point" way, but more of, "This is a story I've been building for over two years, and the X-office has been building for five." We'll hit a conclusion, and it will be big. It's the Endgame if we want to talk about a Cinematic Universe parallel, which is not a bad comparison to make.

In Immortal #18, we show more of Mother Righteous' cards, and, of course, we've been doing this dovetailing structure with the Xavier side of the story and the White Hot Room side. We reach this big denouement where the two collide and cut away. Then we don't see them for a while because X-Men Forever doesn't kick back in until March.

That's one of the fun things about my side. There's a time gap. So, when we pick up with Xavier in Fall and Rise, there's a question of, "What's been going on with the Sinister Dominion?" That question will get answered, and it's kind of the big plot we've been building toward. We explore that in X-Men: Forever, and it explodes into Rise of the Powers of X.

CBR:You said Rise of the Powers of X is set 10 years in the future. So, I can't help but compare it to the +10 era of the Sins of Sinister event. Is that a valid comparison?

Gillen:No. [Laughs] The thing about Rise is we start there, but it's more complicated than that. The original Powers of X was about the complexity of time and space, and this is as well.

You'll get to see exactly what Orchis is doing. However, since Inferno, we've known that Orchis is a mutant-fearing, human supremacist organization whose inner circle, Nimrod and Omega Sentinel, is in fact an A.I. supremacist movement. So, this +10 story starts after the A.I. have shown their cards and what they're actually trying to do. In Issue #1, it will be, "OH NO! That's what the A.I. are up to?"

"Another fun thing we're doing is trying to gather together things we haven't touched on and asking, "What can we do to give closure in places?""

"Moira is quite big in this story because the end of the X-Men Krakoan era had to come back to her. It had to come back to Xavier as well. Because we basically started with those two people on a bench. For all the big ideas Jonathan Hickman started, it was a very powerful, personal story about these people trapped and wanting to be free. That's the thing that Moira gave everyone; a chance to try things a different way. Of course, in the end, Moira is not reliable or good, but she had a point."
    Last edited by JB; 01-05-2024 at 05:47 PM.

The part where he was like, “Al should be writing this,” had me shaking! X-Office done messed up not offering Ewing half of the finale of this era. Duggan would have still had X-Men.

On a more positive note I’m excited for the first issue of this and it’s nice to hear that Gillen is thinking about all the previous voices who have contributed to this era as he wraps things up.

Only in a dark timeline would Mystique be willing to accept and appreciate Gambit as a son-in-law .

i hate how hard this is to read, but from the interview as an Emma stan my interest definitely piqued when I saw the Emma Frost Corps. This is def an interesting concept and I wonder who's apart of this group

Also Gambit basically self-detonating was such a sick display of power and guts, like if he had to go out I guess its good that he went with a blaze of glory

I spot Jon Ironfire too, looks like he may be dead, which sucks a little I would have loved to see him interact with some krakoan mutants
    Last edited by Diammandis; 01-05-2024 at 10:38 AM.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

"Of course, in the end, Moira is not reliable or good." That hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Of course, in the end, Moira is not reliable or good." That hurt.
    Her character assassination was the worst of all. I wish they had just let remain human and on the run and come back to make amends.

My guess is Forge or Cypher is in the Iron Armor. My hope is it is Emma tho.

So it seems like X-Men Forever is technically the finale????
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Whoops I missed some B&W pages towards the end from X-Men Forever.

I hope all the Sinister's are killed at once.

Many things said in the interview are intriguing but these two things jumped out at me:

"So, we are discussing the things we want to make sure are wrapped with a bow, but the funny thing is, I've said this is a story about dimensions and time travel, which means it's really a story about stories. It's storytelling structure -- the idea that all these things happened in these separate timelines, and we're going to bring them all together and make a statement. That's our intention."

This gives me the impression that perhaps the timelines will merge in some way, which eventually leads to the new status quo under Brevoort.

"I've mentioned Moira and Xavier, and the human stuff is what really matters. For all the dominions, timelines, fighting across time and space, trips through moments in X-history, and then setting fire to it all -- it's really about some people making decisions, deciding when to compromise, and deciding who they are."

Sounds to me like Moira could be restored, or at least Moira X the robot will get the boot to make room for another.

We've got Kamala Khan as Captain Krakoa. She's an X-Man now, so it's like, "Let's give her a dark future." Everyone gets a dark future when they join the X-Men. That's how it works.[Laughs]

What's it like writing her in this role as Captain Krakoa?

When you have a character who's beloved by so many people, including me, taking them and putting them in this different position means you want to do good by them. When you're showing a little older version of a teenage hero, you want to show they're a great person. Because people really like that "hero they can be" aspect.
    I’m sorry, but for such a large and important story, I really wish they would have relied on more established X-men characters. Is that really too much to ask????

That part about Moira makes me hope SO MUCH. Don't disappoin Kieron.

Also if the next page with the Essexes would be just them exploding I would be happy.

Extraordinary Member

I am just going to try to enjoy this as some elseworlds story, or "cinematic universe" story, and forget that Hickman had some big story we will never truly know. My only take away from this interview (other than hoping we do get some character moments that Gillen can write well) is that I have to pick up another title I was hoping to avoid otherwise I will be missing some important part of this.

I missed RB Silva art. He does something differnt with his colors or backgrounds. IDK what it is.

And who is the artist for X-Men Forever?

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    I’m sorry, but for such a large and important story, I really wish they would have relied on more established X-men characters. Is that really too much to ask????
    100%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

co-signed
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Now I want to know who the Iron Man is SO BAD

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I missed RB Silva art. He does something differnt with his colors or backgrounds. IDK what it is.

And who is the artist for X-Men Forever?
    Luca Maresca who did Children of the Vault and Photon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Now I want to know who the Iron Man is SO BAD
    Yeah me too!