Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I don't see why. DC isn't changing Supes or Bats origins for going into public domain
    For Superman they don’t need to: his origin has changed pretty radically over time. The guy going PD was raised in an orphanage, no Smallville, no Ma or Pa for quite a while. And even then there’s a big difference between the PD Superman and the mainline Superman: the Kents have to be dead to use the PD stuff. Ma and Pa surviving into adulthood is a Byrne thing so DC still has quite a while before they have to shake things up from the Post Crisis template.

Batman though has pretty much had the same origin since the beginning, it was just expanded and fleshed out. Early Batman killed people and then got quite campy, so the PD version of him won’t be recognizable for a while either.

Really despite the characters early stuff going PD, people won’t be able to use the recognizable versions until the 1980s stuff starts going PD. That’s when you get Byrne Superman, Miller Batman, and Perez WW. That’s when DC is really screwed lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

That reminds me, Diana never had a consistent, recognizable term like "Man of Steel" or "Dark Knight". DC should pick one soon, before someone else defines and trademarks it

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    That reminds me, Diana never had a consistent, recognizable term like "Man of Steel" or "Dark Knight". DC should pick one soon, before someone else defines and trademarks it
    Or....Don't, so that people can use it freely without interference

U know DC really shoot themselves on the foot with their management of Wonder Woman and how they have missreated their artists when you know how ****ed will they be when she goes into public domain and fans start making their thing. Hell, I myself am expecting so patiently for this...

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    U know DC really shoot themselves on the foot with their management of Wonder Woman and how they have missreated their artists when you know how ****ed will they be when she goes into public domain and fans start making their thing. Hell, I myself am expecting so patiently for this...
    I t will be a treat, if ans actually create better and morer successful WW content than her own label. That will be payback time for decades of dc treating her like trash.

Odd question: at what point did "the Magic Lasso" become "the Lasso of Truth"? Because the latter might still be under copyright even after Diana enters public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Odd question: at what point did "the Magic Lasso" become "the Lasso of Truth"? Because the latter might still be under copyright even after Diana enters public domain.
    I think Perez era? Before that it was called the magic lasso and the golden lasso as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It wasn't called the Lasso of Truth under Marston, or for the rest of the pre-Crisis era as far as most are able to tell. Perez's second issue of WW is when ''Lasso of Truth'' seems to be first coined.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-376/

So one couldn't call it ''the Lasso of Truth'' for a long time even after early WW enters PD. In fact you'd have to wait a year after WW before you could even use it. So calling it something Marston used or your own name like ''the rope of anti-lying'' would be the route to take.
    Last edited by Gaius; 02-05-2024 at 06:34 AM.