Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    As if people dont act like if she doesnt have flight then she is underpowered. So who is interested in an underpowered WW?
    .....Because if you wanted to you could make the Wonder Woman you imagine to be the ideal, publish it, sell, and have it be accepted by the general public as being just as valid as DCs interpretation assuming you stick to classic content such as her dragging along a submarine thats going full power trying to escape her grasp.

Honestly im legit looking forward to this. By her third issue Wonder Woman had Doctor Poison and Etta Candy. (though those came out the following year so a bit of a wait.)
    That same year also gives us
    Baroness
    Duke of Deception
    Earl of Greed
    Lord Conquest
    A depiction of Ares as the ruler of the planet Mars.
    Queen Desira and the fairies of Venus.

And the first year gives us a handful of amazing Amazons on top of Steve, and Darnell.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    JSA's problem was that it had a thoroughly dull Warrior Woman interpretation in just a pseudo-Golden Age outfit rather than the modern battle skirt.

Not sure why to turn this into another power levels whinge fest.
    Powers are going to be part of public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    .....Because if you wanted to you could make the Wonder Woman you imagine to be the ideal, publish it, sell, and have it be accepted by the general public as being just as valid as DCs interpretation assuming you stick to classic content such as her dragging along a submarine thats going full power trying to escape her grasp.

Honestly im legit looking forward to this. By her third issue Wonder Woman had Doctor Poison and Etta Candy. (though those came out the following year so a bit of a wait.)
    That same year also gives us
    Baroness
    Duke of Deception
    Earl of Greed
    Lord Conquest
    A depiction of Ares as the ruler of the planet Mars.
    Queen Desira and the fairies of Venus.

And the first year gives us a handful of amazing Amazons on top of Steve, and Darnell.
    Yeah, realized over the course of last year how much of WW's stuff will actually be fairly quickly in the PD versus Bats and Supes. Only major stuff missing would for a long while would be later villains like the legacy Cheetah characters. Artemis and the Bana, and the Wonder Girl concept.
    Powers are going to be part of public domain.
    And? Golden Age WW varied from pulling the sun to getting knocked out with regular sleeping gas.

Power level stuff is like the least interesting thing to focus on.

Yeah, realized over the course of last year how much of WW's stuff will actually be fairly quickly in the PD versus Bats and Supes. Only major stuff missing would for a long while would be later villains like the legacy Cheetah characters. Artemis and the Bana, and the Wonder Girl concept.

And? Golden Age WW varied from pulling the sun to getting knocked out with regular sleeping gas.

Power level stuff is like the least interesting thing to focus on.
    Powers is something CONSTANTLY talked about. Esp flight as something highly important to WW. So I was putting it out there that flight wont be involved.

JSA's problem was that it had a thoroughly dull Warrior Woman interpretation in just a pseudo-Golden Age outfit rather than the modern battle skirt.

Not sure why to turn this into another power levels whinge fest.
    I think we're thinking of two different Warrior Woman Wonder Woman's. I thought the one we hated was the one that lived for battle, slicing off peoples' heads, and jumping straight into battle while the JSA film had...a seasoned and experienced leader who fights Nazi's and isn't frothing at the mouth to stab stuff.

Like the least of that film's problems was Diana's characterization though speaking of power levels people complained about her not overpowering Aquaman .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we're thinking of two different Warrior Woman Wonder Woman's. I thought the one we hated was the one that lived for battle, slicing off peoples' heads, and jumping straight into battle while the JSA film had...a seasoned and experienced leader who fights Nazi's and isn't frothing at the mouth to stab stuff.

Like the least of that film's problems was Diana's characterization though speaking of power levels people complained about her not overpowering Aquaman .
    I usually associate Warrior Woman with also being on the dull side of Diana's personality which is how I found most of her scenes in JSA.

The fight with Aquaman was stupid but frankly I found Aquaman being an easily mind control Nazi puppet far more egregious than anything to do with WW.

I usually associate Warrior Woman with also being on the dull side of Diana's personality which is how I found most of her scenes in JSA.

The fight with Aquaman was stupid but frankly I found Aquaman being an easily mind control Nazi puppet far more egregious than anything to do with WW.
    I thought she was surprisingly charming and had plenty of personality, but to each their own .

I mean, they always have to make an established hero turn evil in these movies .

Wonder Woman going public domain will raise some interesting questions in regard to how Warner/DC defines her. Arguably more interesting than Superman or Batman, because WW as defined by Marston offers enough info to work with, but is still broad enough to be open to interpretation.

It's important to look at this in comparison to stuff like Dracula or Sherlock Holmes than the recent Mickey Mouse (more accurately, the "Steamboat Willie" short) and Winnie the Pooh. The Mickey and Winnie stuff is just guys capitalizing on the easy hook of: "childhood thing is now a horror killer" because horror movies are cheap to make and usually therefore turn an easy profit. It's called "exploitation" for a reason.

Anyway...take Dracula...there have been dozens of re-imaginings of Dracula and not all of them have been confined to the framework of "ancient vampire leaves Transylvania to kill people in 1800s London and Abraham Van Helsing stops him."
    Dracula's been reinterpreted in modern day, as a supervillain, as a superhero, as a government agent...or they just re-do the original Stoker novel with a unique spin.

It's just a matter of whether one interpretation of Dracula steps on the toes of another. Obviously, when working off the same foundation, there's going to be overlap, but you cnn't have your Dracula--for instance--look or act like Bela Legosi's Dracula because that version of him is owned by Universal Studios.
    The Monster Squad had to dance around this when it was made (particularly with the Creature from the Black Lagoon). Sherlock Holmes has also run into similar issues with differing adaptations/updates running at the same time.

Marston's Wonder Woman going public domain doesn't necessarily mean she needs to be confined to World War II or wear culottes or other assorted specifics.
    As said, he gave a lot to work with that is open to wide interpretation. The thing with the indie versions of WW will be whether they will clash with Warner/DC's version, and...this is where is gets interesting...that means they will need to define what their version of Wonder Woman is and isn't.

Take the flying issue.
    True, Marston's Wonder Woman didn't fly. But his Diana got her powers from Amazon training their mental power to make themselves as strong as they needed to be.

Now...a valid interpretation of that is--and I've seen some users here on this board do this--it's not too dissimilar to Ki (or Chi) from things like Dragon Ball.
    Sticking with the Dragon Ball comparison...Goku couldn't fly at first. But he eventually trained himself and learned to harness his Ki enough so that he could fly. Eventually, other characters could as well, and now pretty much everyone flies in Dragon Ball.

Suppose, when WW goes public, I make my own version of Diana that leans into the Ki training aspect. And my Wonder Woman eventually learns to fly because of it.
    Warner/DC could send a cease & desist or outright sue. But in doing so, they would essentially declare their Wonder Woman does fly and must therefore always fly.

So, in a roundabout way, we may see an end to "Well, Wonder Woman won't fly in this show because reasons."
    This extends to what costumes she wears, the extent of her powers, and other assorted details.

Wonder Woman going public is going to lead to some interesting results.

I think flying is definitely a grey area, especially since it's such a common power for superheroes. She also can't fly in a lot of modern adaptations, so DC can't even claim that this is a core aspect of the current incarnation.

Fantastic Member

Wonder Woman's first archenemy Paula von Gunther will get a lot of use (along with Dr. Poison and Dr. Psycho)

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I think flying is definitely a grey area, especially since it's such a common power for superheroes. She also can't fly in a lot of modern adaptations, so DC can't even claim that this is a core aspect of the current incarnation.
    She flies in majority of her comic appearances for the past 30 years so i think they can make sure no one touches it.

Of course I'm no expert in public domain but you don't have to use every aspect of a character in every appearance or adaption you use of a character. Just have to use it enough.

They will be fighting every little thing. Try to give her longer, silver bracers? They going after you.

She flies in majority of her comic appearances for the past 30 years so i think they can make sure no one touches it.

Of course I'm no expert in public domain but you don't have to use every aspect of a character in every appearance or adaption you use of a character. Just have to use it enough.

They will be fighting every little thing. Try to give her longer, silver bracers? They going after you.
    And she flew in the second movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Wonder Woman going public domain will raise some interesting questions in regard to how Warner/DC defines her. Arguably more interesting than Superman or Batman, because WW as defined by Marston offers enough info to work with, but is still broad enough to be open to interpretation.

It's important to look at this in comparison to stuff like Dracula or Sherlock Holmes than the recent Mickey Mouse (more accurately, the "Steamboat Willie" short) and Winnie the Pooh. The Mickey and Winnie stuff is just guys capitalizing on the easy hook of: "childhood thing is now a horror killer" because horror movies are cheap to make and usually therefore turn an easy profit. It's called "exploitation" for a reason.

Anyway...take Dracula...there have been dozens of re-imaginings of Dracula and not all of them have been confined to the framework of "ancient vampire leaves Transylvania to kill people in 1800s London and Abraham Van Helsing stops him."
    Dracula's been reinterpreted in modern day, as a supervillain, as a superhero, as a government agent...or they just re-do the original Stoker novel with a unique spin.

It's just a matter of whether one interpretation of Dracula steps on the toes of another. Obviously, when working off the same foundation, there's going to be overlap, but you cnn't have your Dracula--for instance--look or act like Bela Legosi's Dracula because that version of him is owned by Universal Studios.
    The Monster Squad had to dance around this when it was made (particularly with the Creature from the Black Lagoon). Sherlock Holmes has also run into similar issues with differing adaptations/updates running at the same time.

Marston's Wonder Woman going public domain doesn't necessarily mean she needs to be confined to World War II or wear culottes or other assorted specifics.
    As said, he gave a lot to work with that is open to wide interpretation. The thing with the indie versions of WW will be whether they will clash with Warner/DC's version, and...this is where is gets interesting...that means they will need to define what their version of Wonder Woman is and isn't.

Take the flying issue.
    True, Marston's Wonder Woman didn't fly. But his Diana got her powers from Amazon training their mental power to make themselves as strong as they needed to be.

Now...a valid interpretation of that is--and I've seen some users here on this board do this--it's not too dissimilar to Ki (or Chi) from things like Dragon Ball.
    Sticking with the Dragon Ball comparison...Goku couldn't fly at first. But he eventually trained himself and learned to harness his Ki enough so that he could fly. Eventually, other characters could as well, and now pretty much everyone flies in Dragon Ball.

Suppose, when WW goes public, I make my own version of Diana that leans into the Ki training aspect. And my Wonder Woman eventually learns to fly because of it.
    Warner/DC could send a cease & desist or outright sue. But in doing so, they would essentially declare their Wonder Woman does fly and must therefore always fly.

So, in a roundabout way, we may see an end to "Well, Wonder Woman won't fly in this show because reasons."
    This extends to what costumes she wears, the extent of her powers, and other assorted details.

Wonder Woman going public is going to lead to some interesting results.
    Yeah, that's another thing of interest; DC/WB will have to actually make a lot more use of WW to make it clear what "their' version of the character is like how Disney's been pretty consistent for decades on what Mickey Mouse looks and acts like.

Which in some fairness, they've been pretty consistent on WW's appearance for the past few years (pretty much the movie costume) but a PD version that does it's own version of the GA outfit, or at least something unique from whatever the current WW is, could probably get away with a lot.

The battle skirt worked out fairly well...

They will, but there's no guarantee the courts will side with them. It didn't work out for the Conan Doyle Estate.