Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

If Machine Man appeared in the movie in some form or another, sure. But since he did not, this must be a joke. Original IP first introduced in adaptations belong to the company that published said content. Warner must really like paying lawyers tens of millions of dollars to lose cases or something.

As for the name, there's nothing really stopping DC from using it. It just has to be used on a character that has absolutely zero resemblance to Marvel's Machine Man. There are, after all, several character names that are used by both DC and Marvel. "Enchantress" comes most immediately to mind, but there are several others.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If Machine Man appeared in the movie in some form or another, sure. But since he did not, this must be a joke. Original IP first introduced in adaptations belong to the company that published said content. Warner must really like paying lawyers tens of millions of dollars to lose cases or something.

As for the name, there's nothing really stopping DC from using it. It just has to be used on a character that has absolutely zero resemblance to Marvel's Machine Man. There are, after all, several character names that are used by both DC and Marvel. "Enchantress" comes most immediately to mind, but there are several others.
    The names thing can be tricky. Think about the trademark of Bumblebee or the Captain Marvel case. We don't know the specifics of the contract, so who knows what the lawyers found there?
    ANyway, I suppose than if this case have no basis will be soon dissmissed. If not, well, we will see.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The names thing can be tricky. Think about the trademark of Bumblebee or the Captain Marvel case. We don't know the specifics of the contract, so who knows what the lawyers found there?
    Anyway, I suppose than if this case have no basis will be soon dismissed. If not, well, we will see.
    I always thought that the Captain Marvel thing was really interesting, because Mar-Vell and Superman are really similar in a number of ways, right down to both being solar-powered extraterrestrials in red and blue suits (as of Captain Marvel 17 waaay back in 1969). DC sued Fawcett because their Captain Marvel was too similar to Superman, yet Marvel seemed to double-down on it and glare, "I'm your Huckleberry" with Mar-Vell. But as far as I know, no lawsuit came of it.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel has a lot of characters that originated in licensed comics. Does not mean the they are owned by the property owner.

As @James Cameron said there is Doctor Demonicus from Godzilla as well as the Red Ronin robot.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Think its up to what contract the book has. Marvel had to put circuit breaker and death's head in another non transformers book first to keep rights and lost red sonja for having her in a conan book first but they keep half the micronouts, captain universe, psycho man and the microverse all in the ip book first.

At the same time marvels owns bad guys and side cast from tarzan, fu munchu, shadow, team america, us 1, shogun warriors, kiss, doc savage, john carter of mars, and even neo-knights from transformers.

All were in that ip book first.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Think its up to what contract the book has. Marvel had to put circuit breaker and death's head in another non transformers book first to keep rights and lost red sonja for having her in a conan book first but they keep half the micronouts, captain universe, psycho man and the microverse all in the ip book first.

At the same time marvels owns bad guys and side cast from tarzan, fu munchu, shadow, team america, us 1, shogun warriors, kiss, doc savage, john carter of mars, and even neo-knights from transformers.

All were in that ip book first.
    It doesn't make sense to me. How was Marvel able to keep Kulan Gath but not Red Sonja?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    It doesn't make sense to me. How was Marvel able to keep Kulan Gath but not Red Sonja?
    I had to look it up but apparently the Roy Thomas Red Sonja and the Robert Howard version are treated as two different characters. I haven't yet seen how the comics left Marvel and went to Dynamite tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Red Sonja had proved at least popular enough for the Howard Estate to spin her off into Red Sonja LLC (presumably to make licensing easier if someone wanted to license just her or just Conan). While the character is technically an original creation she was heavily based off Red Sonya who Howard did create and was featured within his Conan universe. Marvel stopped licensing her after a while. Red Sonja LLC was sold off eventually and separated Conan and Sonja, with Dynamite Entertainment picking up the rights and producing comics featuring Red Sonja.

So the whole issue is that Red Sonja the whole time was held by the Howard Estate and not Marvel, and they kinda hosed themselves by discontinuing their licensing agreement for a time.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQue...red_sonja_llc/

Heard from another site it was she was still seen as the same red from the books even with the name a little different and had marvel just gave her a new name would have been fine.