Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't wait for the Superman team-up .
    Jamal Campbell drawing her is a dream come true.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Variants for BDH #2

Am I the only one who doesn't like that big yellow corset belt? It screws up the color combination. Black white and yellow?
    The hat on Diaz's cover is too small.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 04-24-2024 at 08:53 AM.

Someone said that they'd like to see Zatanna in the main Justice league but she's too OP. I don't completely agree with that but I see the problem.

My solution is very simple- Give her a power that she uses more frequently than others. Don't make that power too op. Just make it visually appealing and versatile.

Leave the backward talking spell casting to be used in special circumstances.

They did this with Doctor Strange in his first movie. Most of the time all he did was open and close portals despite learning all kinds of magics. And the audience was satisfied with it.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 04-24-2024 at 09:34 AM.

Zatanna is gonna be in both Superman and Wonder woman books this july. I hope Zatanna has a bigger role to play in this Absolute DC thing.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 04-24-2024 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Someone said that they'd like to see Zatanna in the main Justice league but she's too OP. I don't completely agree with that but I see the problem.

My solution is very simple- Give her a power that she uses more frequently than others. Don't make that power too op. Just make it visually appealing and versatile.

Leave the backward talking spell casting to be used in special circumstances.

They did this with Doctor Strange in his first movie. Most of the time all he did was open and close portals despite learning all kinds of magics. And the audience was satisfied with it.
    Eh I thought You said something about Zatanna gloves and I really agree with it. Like it so obvious and handy

Also after reading Witch Hat Atelier, there are tons cool stuff that perhaps Zatanna writer could learn and adapt it to Zatanna. Like this floating shoes with magic glyph drawn

Reading this manga definitely feel similiar as Zatanna fan

Mindwipe aside, I wonder if Homo Magi of the Hidden City could form similiar magic council as Zatanna antagonist

But ultimately I wish we could explore Zatanna actively trying to spread good things with magic. The dark and tragic stuff that happened to Zee could be used to highlighting Zee's tenacity of her personal goal

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Eh I thought You said something about Zatanna gloves and I really agree with it. Like it so obvious and handy

[/IMG]
    Yeah I said how cool it would be if two giant gloved hands assisted Zee in battle. They could punch, grab, shield and do all kinds of things. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a street magician? Thier hands. with which they do sleight of hand tricks. So this power could very well be Zee's go-to signature trick/power.

I deleted what I said because I thought it would look too goofy. It's her main problem. Readers don't take her seriously if she leans too hard on stage magician tricks.

To make it serious, I think the hands should be real and gigantic. Not floating gloves with air inside. Real hands attached to arms made of flesh and bone that bleed when hurt. Kinda like the Two fingers in Elden ring. It gives off a sense of mystery and creepiness.

Here's an image I found on Impulse comic. I was impressed that Impulse lasted for 89 issues.

BTW, I hate Paul Dini's dialogs for Zee on the page you posted. Zatanna was very humble when Gerry Conway wrote her. She wouldn't complain that she's getting paid less than a famous singer.
    I mean, why would she? The singer became famous because of his talent and hard work. Zatanna may have done the same, but what has been shown so far? She got her powers from her father, uses said powers by simply speaking backwards, and is probably a fraud who uses real magic and poses as a stage magician.

Complaining that she's getting paid less than the talent next door shows her in a negative light. Why does Dini write her like that? She's not a villain like Harley where her bad behavior is excused as being cute. Nor is she a hateable hero like Guy Gardner or Captain Atom.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 04-26-2024 at 08:54 AM.

Yeah I said how cool it would be if two giant gloved hands assisted Zee in battle. They could punch, grab, shield and do all kinds of things. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a street magician? Thier hands. with which they do sleight of hand tricks. So this power could very well be Zee's go-to signature trick/power.

I deleted what I said because I thought it would look too goofy. It's her main problem. Readers don't take her seriously if she leans too hard on stage magician tricks.

To make it serious, I think the hands should be real and gigantic. Not floating gloves with air inside. Real hands attached to arms made of flesh and bone that bleed when hurt. Kinda like the Two fingers in Elden ring. It gives off a sense of mystery and creepiness.

Here's an image I found on Impulse comic. I was impressed that Impulse lasted for 89 issues.

BTW, I hate Paul Dini's dialogs for Zee on the page you posted. Zatanna was very humble when Gerry Conway wrote her. She wouldn't complain that she's getting paid less than a famous singer.
    I mean, why would she? The singer became famous because of his talent and hard work. Zatanna may have done the same, but what has been shown so far? She got her powers from her father, uses said powers by simply speaking backwards, and is probably a fraud who uses real magic and poses as a stage magician.

Complaining that she's getting paid less than the talent next door shows her in a negative light. Why does Dini write her like that? She's not a villain like Harley where her bad behavior is excused as being cute. Nor is she a hateable hero like Guy Gardner or Captain Atom.
    Readers don't take her seriously if she leans too hard on stage magician tricks.
    > I fail to see it. It's honestly just similar to Batman utility items, ninja stuff, etc. I mean Gambit is very cool with 52 cards as weapons. Also, Dai Li from Avatar is pretty menacing with their flying gloves. Perhaps just don't make it hovering in a goofy manner in battle, which would fall on the execution rather than the idea.

Well I do agree with Gerry Conway take tho. So no argument about that

The Harley Quinn annual with Zee comes out next week though she's not featured in the preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Harley Quinn annual with Zee comes out next week though she's not featured in the preview.
    It's out next week? Almost forgot about that

Giving Zatanna a black label is a waste if it's not gonna affect her in-universe story. She needs some supporting characters and main continuity stories to make people care. She probably has more out of continuity alternate universe books now.

Giving Zatanna a black label is a waste if it's not gonna affect her in-universe story. She needs some supporting characters and main continuity stories to make people care. She probably has more out of continuity alternate universe books now.
    What does it matter if it's in-universe or not? If it's a good story than it's someone can go enjoy or recommend to people who are interested in Zatanna regardless of it's "canon" or not.

What's with the obsession with "taking Zatanna seriously"? She's a fun, light-hearted character. Why does anybody want to gut her of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    What's with the obsession with "taking Zatanna seriously"? She's a fun, light-hearted character. Why does anybody want to gut her of that?
    I remember John Venus said that Zee is a flexible character. She can have lighthearted or hopeful stories even though she is among DC's magical community that is filled with dark, grumpy, sad characters. Zatanna has her tragic stories or dark enemies to face but if anything, it's highlighting her resolve to spread light and happiness with her magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    If being fun and light-hearted has worked out so well then why are we still here? Why aren't we getting regular content? Where's volume 6 of her solo ongoing?