Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Green Lantern #7 Preview

Green Lantern #7 Preview
    Writer: Jeremy Adams
    Artist: Amancay Nahuelpan
    Backup Writer: Peter Tomasi
    Backup Artist: David LaFuente

It's great to see the gang all together again even if the UP is already screwing everything up and basically telling them they can't go home again.

Although it kind of funny how they just think Earth is too much trouble and they have the "Kryptonian" so they don't need a GL.

Where are the Guardians now? I forget what happened to them in Thorne's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's great to see the gang all together again even if the UP is already screwing everything up and basically telling them they can't go home again.

Although it kind of funny how they just think Earth is too much trouble and they have the "Kryptonian" so they don't need a GL.

I feel like they either exploded with the battery or got absorbed by the giant evil Guardian who was the villain.

I know Thorne himself has mentioned in these threads what happened but I just genuinely can’t remember
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It was nice to see the Earth GL's all together again even if mostly in cameos and to get reassigned. It makes you wonder what most of them have been getting up to. I hope Jessica and Simon got reassigned together.

I like Hal mentioning John's mom. It ties into PKJ's John run and shows Hal being a considerate friend.

I love the idea that the UP thinks there are enough Superheroes on Earth that they don't need GL's...though granted I'm not sure Superman patrols the entire sector like he does Earth.

Of course the one thing they could use to convince Guy was the idea of bringing in Lobo. I can imagine they've been fighting/dogging each other for months.

Why you would bring Hal to a meeting with Sinestro and not expect him to want to throw hands is beyond me. Though Thaaros seemed genuine in his intentions to broker peace.

I feel like Kilowog could've more easily taken those three.

Was Sinestro in on it? He seemed surprised by the attack but Hal thinks it was too convenient, especially for someone with such control as Sinestro. He probably didn't want his Power Battery blown up though.

So now all the Power Batteries are blowing up? Seems like some Emotional Spectrum shenanigans are going on. And acknowledging Razer's Blue Lantern history.

Weren't all batteries blown up in Thorne's GL finale?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Weren't all batteries blown up in Thorne's GL finale?
    I think that was more the green power battery became like a rainbow color thing where it just randomly distributes different corps rings.

The status of the other power batteries until now is unclear I believe.

All-New Member

After reading what happened in green arrow with Hal/Parallax and being in the Legion of superheroes time period, they probably are the Legion of superhero’s ( who else would kiss supermans ass)

BANNED

I am just not feeling this series, unfortunately. I loved Adams on Flash and I loved the animated series, but this run feels so lackluster to me. I'm only still picking it up because I love the character, but it's on the bubble right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I am just not feeling this series, unfortunately. I loved Adams on Flash and I loved the animated series, but this run feels so lackluster to me. I'm only still picking it up because I love the character, but it's on the bubble right now.
    I know you expressed some issues with Hal's behavior in past issues but what else don't you like about it, if you don't mind me asking?

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

For me it feels like there's just a whole lot of nothing going on in this book. It doesn't feel big, it doesn't feel important to Hal - he's bumming around again on Earth but not so much in choosing to drift but because he's lost, immediately at odds with how he was portrayed in his last solo book; he's going after Carol again and quite aggressively too; he's just going through the motions, falling back on something familiar but it's a regression from his last run; so why should we care. This isn't hypercompetent, beyond trauma, drifter as a life choice, beatnik space cop Hal. It's Geoff Johns redux vol 4. I'm of the mind that main continuity Hal's character has taken a dip into caricature since Rebirth in 2004 with Tom King and Grant Morrison being the only ones who actually had something new, something bold to say about Hal and work with him as a proper character. It's noticeable how pervasive nostalgia is enveloping the book, Adams doing Johns-esque and superficially Silver Age writing but without the actual creativity of Silver Age GL, Tomasi doing Super Sons but they're bad in the first backups, Marz writing Kyle again in upcoming backups, Humphries writing Jess again in upcoming backups... stuck in cycles, nothing new... at least the art is phenomenal. I hope I'm proven wrong and the book finds purpose in upcoming issues.

On the other hand you have PKJ writing John Stewart and is exploring new grounds, actually reconciling John as a builder as well as a soldier. It's great to see John's family and him have a supporting cast of that isn't just other GLs, and also a mythos and rogues gallery built around him. PKJ is doing something new with John who he describes as someone who might see being GL as just a stage in his life and something he might move on from, but he's having a difficult time readjusting to regular life. And maybe he can't move on because everything John does he does out of duty. He's an active participant in the world, he wants to shape it into something better, something greater for everyone. He is the consummate superhero who actually wants to break the status quo and make a real difference. So yeah, in contrast to Hal's book, John's book feels big and important for him. And the art is also phenomenal.

BANNED

I know you expressed some issues with Hal's behavior in past issues but what else don't you like about it, if you don't mind me asking?
    Hal's characterization is decent in this so far for the most part, but I just find this run kind of dull, honestly. There's nothing really bad or objectionable about it, but I just don't find myself especially invested in anything that's going on, either. I can't even put my finger on it, exactly. It just feels a bit rote to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    For me it feels like there's just a whole lot of nothing going on in this book. It doesn't feel big, it doesn't feel important to Hal - he's bumming around again on Earth but not so much in choosing to drift but because he's lost, immediately at odds with how he was portrayed in his last solo book; he's going after Carol again and quite aggressively too; he's just going through the motions, falling back on something familiar but it's a regression from his last run; so why should we care. This isn't hypercompetent, beyond trauma, drifter as a life choice, beatnik space cop Hal. It's Geoff Johns redux vol 4. I'm of the mind that main continuity Hal's character has taken a dip into caricature since Rebirth in 2004 with Tom King and Grant Morrison being the only ones who actually had something new, something bold to say about Hal and work with him as a proper character. It's noticeable how pervasive nostalgia is enveloping the book, Adams doing Johns-esque and superficially Silver Age writing but without the actual creativity of Silver Age GL, Tomasi doing Super Sons but they're bad in the first backups, Marz writing Kyle again in upcoming backups, Humphries writing Jess again in upcoming backups... stuck in cycles, nothing new... at least the art is phenomenal. I hope I'm proven wrong and the book finds purpose in upcoming issues.

On the other hand you have PKJ writing John Stewart and is exploring new grounds, actually reconciling John as a builder as well as a soldier. It's great to see John's family and him have a supporting cast of that isn't just other GLs, and also a mythos and rogues gallery built around him. PKJ is doing something new with John who he describes as someone who might see being GL as just a stage in his life and something he might move on from, but he's having a difficult time readjusting to regular life. And maybe he can't move on because everything John does he does out of duty. He's an active participant in the world, he wants to shape it into something better, something greater for everyone. He is the consummate superhero who actually wants to break the status quo and make a real difference. So yeah, in contrast to Hal's book, John's book feels big and important for him. And the art is also phenomenal.
    Yeah, John's new book has been high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Hal's characterization is decent in this so far for the most part, but I just find this run kind of dull, honestly. There's nothing really bad or objectionable about it, but I just don't find myself especially invested in anything that's going on, either. I can't even put my finger on it, exactly. It just feels a bit rote to me.
    I agree. Aside from amazing art, the stories aren't really advancing Hal in any way. And I knew Adams was leading up to the flashback with Kil's death, but that was so lackluster it didn't justify all the time spent leading up to it. How was this event really so traumatic to Hal? And if it was, Hal's way of dealing with it doesn't say a lot about his character: "Maybe I'll go home and have babies with Carol" isn't the most inspired take on his character. Morrison's take was a ton more intriguing and he set that up in one issue.

That said, this run has been fine but it's a bit like treading water, and considering Hal getting a solo isn't something we can take for granted anymore, it needs to be a significant run.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post

At least I feel like we have better context for why Hal was acting that way in the initial issues because he was reeling from a big loss (of both his GL status, Kilowog, and all his other friends) and being stuck on Earth so I think it makes sense why he felt more aimless and committed to pursuing stuff with some familiarity to him and I feel like we see him get back into the swing of things by the issues where he's contending with Sinestro.

For me I'm fine with the slower burn (even if that doesn't really have a place in modern comics at times when you never know how long a run is going to be) and I think the characterization is solid and the fights have been pretty great.

To be fair not much has been done with John so it is easier to do new things with him than with Hal.

On the other hand I dropped this title couple of months ago due to reasons already mentioned in previous posts.