Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Yeah and give him a red overcoat and he's good to go.

He could take a few cues from the Son of Zod.
    I was think something like cyborg 009 or luffy/whitebeard
    https://youtu.be/yNjKNh4bhms?si=o-v5b786h5eDyfM9

And i love lor zod.the guy had the most cathartic scenes this franchise has managed to produce(brainiac scene)
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I was think something like cyborg 009 or luffy/whitebeard
    https://youtu.be/yNjKNh4bhms?si=o-v5b786h5eDyfM9

And i love lor zod.the guy had the most cathartic scenes this franchise has managed to produce(brainiac scene)
    That works too but I always saw Clark as a muscular adult. So Clark as Superboy might be more slender.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-29-2024 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    PKJ loves Superman as a character, loved writing him, and is one of the best writers currently. His passion for Supes and what he created makes his departure sting even more. Credit where credit is due.
    Is this the same guy that took Clark out of his role as Superman, took him off Earth, had him fight in a redundant and contrived "gladiator"/War World story, and gave us two entirely unnecessary "Super Twins" that are obvious attempts at regaining what was lost with Jon Kent?

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Is this the same guy that took Clark out of his role as Superman, took him off Earth, had him fight in a redundant and contrived "gladiator"/War World story, and gave us two entirely unnecessary "Super Twins" that are obvious attempts at regaining what was lost with Jon Kent?
    I highly doubt PKJ was the person responsible for Clark leaving the Superman codename to Jon. That’s 100% an editorial decision inspired by the 5G initiative. Plus I don’t think he ever truly stopped calling himself Superman. He was just busy on an off-world mission. I’m not the biggest fan of the twins, but they were obviously an attempt to capture the charm of Jon’s days as a kid since it became clear editorial wouldn’t let him age-down Jon.

Clark as Superboy is essential to the mythos, even if he's not publicly known like in Johns' Secret Origins. I also love the Superboy series.
    I disagree insofar as my preference is that Clark makes his appearance in the suit while away at Shuster University (shout out to the Superboy TV series) and is publicly known as Superboy. Before graduating and moving to Metropolis to become Superman. Additionally, I want Clark to not be married and certainly not have kids. Keep Superman forever 30. Maybe a bromance with Jimmy?

BTW, for anyone who hasn't seen it the Superboy TV series is available for free on Tubi. The first season was a bit choppy while seasons 3 and 4 soared. Check out Roads Not Taken and Mine Games. Both are incredible eps.

GCMetalo.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 01-29-2024 at 01:29 PM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Yes. Frankly I don’t see Superman being off Earth for a while as a problem. Of course, not everyone likes every story (to each their own) but a lot of fans loved Warworld Saga and what PKJ brought to the title, including his self admitted love and passion for the character. While I think Warworld is an instant classic and an all time fave, there are some things about his run I didn’t necessarily love (the Super fam being a bit too crowded overall for example). However, his love for the character is not really in question and he genuinely seemed to love and appreciate each page he wrote.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

PKJ took the status quo given to him at the start that Superman was weaker than usual and made it a part of the story. By the end Superman went in the other direction of being more powerful than ever. An Uber powerful Superman was his preference but he respected continuity (something you guys keep complaining writers don’t do). He then wrote a year of stories set in Metropolis and featured Clark doing “classic” Superman stuff like being an investigative reporter.

If you’re claiming it’s “redundant” because Exile did something similar, the focus was totally different. Exile was about Superman’s no kill rule and him dealing with his execution of the Pocket Zone Kryptonians. Warworld Saga was about Superman trying to convince the Phaelosians that the Warzoon culture they had been indoctrinated in was toxic and there were better ways of life. Exile was about Superman’s internal conflict, WS was about his struggle to inspire a group he wanted to save that didn’t want his help at first.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    That works too but I always saw Clark as a muscular adult. So Clark as Superboy might be more slender.
    I wasn't talking about the physique.just the how the cape is worn.

You do know that Superman is the title itself is gladiatorial.The character was ripped of from old gladiator toaes and a novel.The only thing i found stupid about pkj's story is the "hum drum savior" narrative.Fixing jon has nothing to do with clark.Superman and gladiator tales are inseparable as batman and tales of knights.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-29-2024 at 09:20 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I wasn't talking about the physique.just the how the cape is worn.
    Oh ok but I'd probably keep the physique. It allows you to tell them apart easily.

For Ultimate DC, I'd probably go with an Earth One approach. Give me a few graphic novels and let me explore the beginning/middle/end of a Superman and I'm golden.

1. Who would you want the writer to be? Ram V
    2. Who would you want the artist to be? Matias Bergara
    3. What should be different from the current Earth 0 incarnation of Superman? nearly everything
    4. What should be the same? he left krypton as a baby
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-30-2024 at 05:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Here's two "opposing" ideas that could lead to very different but interesting takes on Superman:

Clark Kent, Obsessed Investigator- Basically, take the MAWS idea that Clark can't even understand the language of Krypton, much less contextualize his peoples' history, and aggravate and strengthen it even more: there's no hologram or any clue beyond the pod he was in, which he can't even say for certain comes from space. This drives him to become an investigative reporter in a very film noir type way and also means that when other Kryptonians and aliens show up, they can try to confuse or frustrate him with different tales of Krypton.

Superman, Child of Two Worlds - The inverse of the above, and an almost obnoxious use of the Kents as living parents: Kal-El's Kryptonian pod comes with interactive, high-functioning and personality carrying AIs and holograms of both his birth parents (and Lara is reconfigured into a social science expert to contrast with Jor-El and give her a bigger role), and the Kents are still alive well-into his adulthood, resulting in a Clark who is sort of the product of "joint custody" with both parents, and fully enculturated in both his home-worlds. Kryptonians also become a bigger part of the story, with the "lost city" of Argo hidden somewhere in the stars, Kandor being retaken earlier and still shrink but able to interact with the rest of Earth through technology, and lots of Phantom zone criminals. Really play up the immigrant angle.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Here's two "opposing" ideas that could lead to very different but interesting takes on Superman:

Clark Kent, Obsessed Investigator- Basically, take the MAWS idea that Clark can't even understand the language of Krypton, much less contextualize his peoples' history, and aggravate and strengthen it even more: there's no hologram or any clue beyond the pod he was in, which he can't even say for certain comes from space. This drives him to become an investigative reporter in a very film noir type way and also means that when other Kryptonians and aliens show up, they can try to confuse or frustrate him with different tales of Krypton.

Superman, Child of Two Worlds - The inverse of the above, and an almost obnoxious use of the Kents as living parents: Kal-El's Kryptonian pod comes with interactive, high-functioning and personality carrying AIs and holograms of both his birth parents (and Lara is reconfigured into a social science expert to contrast with Jor-El and give her a bigger role), and the Kents are still alive well-into his adulthood, resulting in a Clark who is sort of the product of "joint custody" with both parents, and fully enculturated in both his home-worlds. Kryptonians also become a bigger part of the story, with the "lost city" of Argo hidden somewhere in the stars, Kandor being retaken earlier and still shrink but able to interact with the rest of Earth through technology, and lots of Phantom zone criminals. Really play up the immigrant angle.
    The first feels like an Earth two version while the latter feels Earth One.

You got a Superman of Two Earths on your hands. They should have a crossover.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Add a third where Superman has Power Girl's origen. He is sent to Earth with the ship providing him with a simulated life on the Silver Age Krypton (the real one being less "clean and sunny"). He lands and views Earth from a totally alien perspective. Still has the impulse to do what is right, but has none of the Kent or Smallville upbringing. .

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Add a third where Superman has Power Girl's origen. He is sent to Earth with the ship providing him with a simulated life on the Silver Age Krypton (the real one being less "clean and sunny"). He lands and views Earth from a totally alien perspective. Still has the impulse to do what is right, but has none of the Kent or Smallville upbringing. .
    Would he still be a child/teenager when he lands in your take?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The current continuity needs to be abandoned. It's been a disaster of epic proportions since Infinite Crisis. I'd actually prefer an Ultimate DC if it was a more faithful version of DC Comics than whatever we've seen in the last twenty years, especially after Snyder and DiDio's abysmal treatment of the Multiverse and "Earth-Zero."
    I haven't read the books in years but is there a single continuity now? The Superman/Batman book looks like a thing of its own and actually interesting. Superman 78 though definitely a thing of its own also is appealing. The Action stuff seems a mess with Superman's kids. I'm opposed to Superman having children and prefer a scenario where he can have relations with human women but can't biologically reproduce with them. Adding additional meaning to "last son".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Would he still be a child/teenager when he lands in your take?
    If I was doing it, I'd go with late teens/early twenties. The simulation would have him as a full adult- but his actual physical body might be a bit younger. The personality of a grad student but the body of a high school senior/college freshman.