Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Some of the ideas in this thread do seem more like Stan Lee Imagines ... or Tangent.

Ultimate Batman wouldn't be a homeless mutant with bat=wings. Ultimate Flash wouldn't be based off the character having flashes of insight or being a human flashlight. The idea is supposed to be boiling down the essence of the familiar character. tweaking things to remove the outdated stuff (newspaper reporter) and telling stories that don't rely on decades of prior history for the character.
    It’s wild to me that people don’t get this. You’re always going to need new jumping on points, and Superman really needs it. His continuity is ****ed beyond repair at this point, so stop trying and just make a new version who exists on another Earth and can be an entry point.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I thought ultimate batman was a punk kid in a cyber punk world like terry or a vampire..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s wild to me that people don’t get this. You’re always going to need new jumping on points, and Superman really needs it. His continuity is ****ed beyond repair at this point, so stop trying and just make a new version who exists on another Earth and can be an entry point.
    This sounds like the attitude I fear DC would have to an Ultimate line - if it's successful they'll drop the main continuity in favor of the Ultimate.

I think you are taking this thread too seriously. Just relax and have fun pitching.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-28-2024 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    This sounds like the attitude I fear DC would have to an Ultimate line - if it's successful they'll drop the main continuity in favor of the Ultimate.
    Even at the height of interest in Ultimate Marvel, they never seriously considered abandoning 616. DC wouldn’t be any different. Given how little interaction the threads about the current main books get however, I don’t know why some of you even care. You don’t seem to be engaging with Earth 0 Superman anyway, long as he exists somewhere in the Multiverse why does it matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think you are taking this thread too seriously. Just relax and have fun pitching.
    Feels like you should be telling this to the people who are opposed to an Ultimate DC even happening.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Even at the height of interest in Ultimate Marvel, they never seriously considered abandoning 616. DC wouldn’t be any different. Given how little interaction the threads about the current main books get however, I don’t know why some of you even care. You don’t seem to be engaging with Earth 0 Superman anyway, long as he exists somewhere in the Multiverse why does it matter?

Feels like you should be telling this to the people who are opposed to an Ultimate DC even happening.
    The current continuity needs to be abandoned. It's been a disaster of epic proportions since Infinite Crisis. I'd actually prefer an Ultimate DC if it was a more faithful version of DC Comics than whatever we've seen in the last twenty years, especially after Snyder and DiDio's abysmal treatment of the Multiverse and "Earth-Zero."

Here's a radical idea for an "Ultimate Superman:"

Superman is the first and greatest superhero in his universe.

There's a "love triangle" between Superman, Clark Kent, and Lois Lane.

There's a rich supporting cast of characters, including a Lex Luthor who is both brilliant inventor and scientist and CEO of Lexcorp.

Superman and Batman are friends from the start.

This Superman's adventures are delivered by creators who love and understand the character's core identity and importance both in and out of comics.

Essentially, give Superman the treatment he has not had since the 2000s began.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post

There's a rich supporting cast of characters, including a Lex Luthor who is both brilliant inventor and scientist and CEO of Lexcorp.

This Superman's adventures are delivered by creators who love and understand the character's core identity and importance both in and out of comics.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. I stopped reading the books about a decade ago as, it seemed to me, DC and the creators didn't really care for Superman. Without that passion it's hard to sustain books. One thing I'd add is bring back Superboy. Clark Kent Superboy and not a son of Superman Superboy. I discovered the Superboy TV series about the time MOS came out. To this day it remains, overall. my favorite TV adaption. Ironically Superboy was erased from the mythology about the time of the TV series. I'd retcon it a bit to have Clark first don the suit and go public in college with the focus of Superboy being his college years and a strong Clark/Lana romance free from the presence of Lois. Clark and Lex would meet at college. A few Superman villains would first meet Clark at college. Like Toyman who'd be an eccentric student engrossed in his gadgets.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 01-28-2024 at 04:35 PM.

Spectacular Member

Wouldn't mind ditching the cape. At the risk of sounding like Edna Mode, it really does get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
    Wouldn't mind ditching the cape. At the risk of sounding like Edna Mode, it really does get in the way.

They could always do the armored look from Future's end.

Another poster suggested it a few pages back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to that. I stopped reading the books about a decade ago as, it seemed to me, DC and the creators didn't really care for Superman. Without that passion it's hard to sustain books. One thing I'd add is bring back Superboy. Clark Kent Superboy and not a son of Superman Superboy. I discovered the Superboy TV series about the time MOS came out. To this day it remains, overall. my favorite TV adaption. Ironically Superboy was erased from the mythology about the time of the TV series. I'd retcon it a bit to have Clark first don the suit and go public in college with the focus of Superboy being his college years and a strong Clark/Lana romance free from the presence of Lois. Clark and Lex would meet at college. A few Superman villains would first meet Clark at college. Like Toyman who'd be an eccentric student engrossed in his gadgets.
    Clark as Superboy is essential to the mythos, even if he's not publicly known like in Johns' Secret Origins. I also love the Superboy series.

Quote Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
    No offense, but that's ridiculous. The cape is part of the iconography of superheroes, of which Superman is the first and greatest. The cape is essential to his appearance.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I like capes.I support changing how it's worn though.The guy is invulnerable.That said "iconic" shouldn't be a factor in maing ultimate superman

I tend to think ultimate superman has already been created.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-29-2024 at 12:22 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I like capes.I support changing how it's worn though.The guy is invulnerable.That said "iconic" shouldn't be a factor in maing ultimate superman

I tend to think ultimate superman has already been created.

Yeah and give him a red overcoat and he's good to go.

He could take a few cues from the Son of Zod.

Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-29-2024 at 03:34 AM.

The current continuity needs to be abandoned. It's been a disaster of epic proportions since Infinite Crisis. I'd actually prefer an Ultimate DC if it was a more faithful version of DC Comics than whatever we've seen in the last twenty years, especially after Snyder and DiDio's abysmal treatment of the Multiverse and "Earth-Zero."
    If they are using Snyder’s Elseworld, which is apparently the other center of the multiverse, they could slowly transition to that being the only center of the DCU. The current earth could become like the Silver Age Earth 2. Superman Batman have aged and had kids and the new generation is taking over.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

PKJ loves Superman as a character, loved writing him, and is one of the best writers currently. His passion for Supes and what he created makes his departure sting even more. Credit where credit is due.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog