Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Oh, that,s silly. TLJ destroyed Star Wars and ended it in that sense.

I am joking. Yes, I didn't care for the new trilogy but there's good new SW stuff and I also hate it when people give the impression that it's an objective fact, not their opinion. It's along the lines of " REAL" Superman fans..." or whatever character followed by the idea that the "real" character ended in1986 or whichever year as if that is an inarguable fact.
    We really need a "like" button here

- Terminator
    Like others, my opinion is this ended with the second one. Terminator 2 was a perfect ending, and for the third one to just go "Nope. Judgment Day can't be stopped. Oh, well," felt so cheap. And maybe even that could've been forgiven if they did something interesting with franchise, but...John Connor's not an interesting protagonist, they've never topped the T-1000 even though they keep trying, and their attempts to elaborate on the bad future have been bland as hell. One and two; the end.

- Alien
    Like Terminator, as far as I'm concerned, this ended with the second one. I don't hate the third one, but it's such a bringdown after the first two. And ever since we've had another bad Alien, two bad Predator crossovers, and two prequels that revealed the origin of the Xenomorphs is actually quite dumb. I'll stick with the first two and leave it at that.

- Highlander
    Every attempt to continue or expand this story beyond the first one has actively undermined it and/or made a total mess. There should've been only one.

- The Simpsons
    I hung in there longer than others, but for me 'That 90's Show' was the moment I thought "It's over." I'm not deep into Simpsons fandom, but apparently this is a particularly infamous episode, so I guess I'm not alone on this. Shockingly bad episode, and from what I've heard, the series hasn't really improved since.

- Batman
    I think pretty much around The Dark Knight Rises was when I realized I was done with Batman. I got two Tim Burton movies, the first two Christopher Nolan movies, an animated series that ran through the 90s, and I've collected my share of Bat titles & runs. I've seen all I need to see of Batman. And honestly, nothing since has really captured my attention.
    Wouldn't be a issue if DC didn't insist on shoving him down my throat, but that's another subject.

- Mortal Kombat
    Not a movie or TV show, but as far as I'm concerned, the Mortal Kombat story ended with Armageddon. The MK9 reboot was awful, and it's just been digging itself deeper ever since. An occasional bright spot here or there, but overall, not great.
    I choose to believe Kitana's MKX ending is canon: she survived Armageddon, united the realms, and defeated Shao Kahn; the end. As far as I'm concerned, that's the ending of the original MK storyline.

Man...

There is a whole other side to this coin.

Take once I finally read Carpenter say that the initial "Halloween..." film was the only one he cared about as a filmmaker. Kinda hard to make a case for that anything else actually matters after that. That's accounting for that I felt that Jamie LLoyd was a pretty interesting direction to go in.

The second "Halloween..." film Rob Zombie did is along the same line. Once you know the "Why?..." behind him taking the job?

Almost doesn't matter if the film in question is brilliant or not.

Past that?

There is the entire "Completely Different Production Outfit 'Saves...' A Given Show..." phenomenon.

Take Netflix picking up The Killing for a fourth season after it had been cancelled twice at AMC.

The final scene of the AMC run is so brilliant and such an unbelievable place to end a series that I just decided that it was where the show ended. Still haven't seen any of the "Netflix..." season years later.

Astonishing Member

The Walking Dead ended for me with its last season. I wanted to watch Darryls show and Negans and so on, but I have to subscribe to another streaming service for it in my country, one that I don't want. And I already pay too much for streaming, so its over and out.

Some games haven't really made the leap to 3D as well, so kind of ended, or are best at, their 2D versions.

Castlevania and Contra never really solidly evolved into 3D unlike Konami's Metal Gear Solid. Sonic has been extremely hit and miss. Donkey Kong Country 64 might have done well when it first came out, but now is considered kind of dated and poor (Whereas Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time still mostly hold up) and is mainly kind of remembered for the rap becoming a meme I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

I know that I'm probably going to be alone in this opinion:

Rick and Morty should have ended when he went to jail. sure, they had some amusing stuff afterwards, but it all felt weirdly unsatisfying and self-indulgent. season 2 actually gave him something like a character arc.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Think it kind of lost a bit when Kate and Pete left, although Mikey day is still good at playing "straight man", James Austin Johnson is a great impressionist, but the rest are a bit of an acquired taste, especially Sarah Sherman who gets a lot of the "gross out" sketches and Please Don't Destroy.

Wonder if Keenan is ever going to leave, he's pretty much been there forever.
    I miss the old cast, especially Kate and Cecily Strong. But I've said that MANY times through the years! And I rarely watched the show from 2002-2010, so missed much of Hader/Wiig/Armisen, who I can see in reruns are brilliant. This season reminds me of 1980 and 1985 when there were wholesale cast changes and it was just too weird. (I started with Eddie, but had familiarity with Murray/Radner/Belushi/etc.) The only time a wholesale change immediately worked for me was 1995, when Sandler/Farley/etc. were replaced by Oteri/Hammond/Farrrell/etc. I didn't like the "Bad Boys" so was glad they were gone. I fell in love with the new cast right away.

Keenan is amazing. I'm glad he's having a great time.

The Titanic hitting the iceberg pretty took care of that movie.

Extraordinary Member

Stranger Things
    The first season was the perfect ending. Yes, it was a cliffhanger, but I liked how it ended. I've never watched an episode since.

The Waltons
    Ended for me at the end of season 6. Grandma came home from the hospital and Grandpa was still alive. Plus, no faux John Boy.

Dallas
    Ended for me right before Pam plowed into that oil tanker.

Happy Days
    Before Richie left

The Walking Dead
    Ended for me when they left Atlanta before Alexandria.

The Fast And The Furious
    It ended for me with the death of Paul Walker. That last shot in Fast 7 was where it should have ended.
    Last edited by caj; 01-11-2024 at 04:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    I fast forward to that and then switched off. Great movie

Indiana Jones ended with Last Crusade. With a small coda in Young Indiana Jones of Harrison Ford playing the sax in a "later" scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8OTdQBtdi4&t=448s

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Spoilers!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Indiana Jones ended with Last Crusade. With a small coda in Young Indiana Jones of Harrison Ford playing the sax in a "later" scene.
    I largely agree on this one. Though perhaps in my head canon, some better version of Crystal Skull maybe possibly happened.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I have preferred movies/shows in a franchise for sure but I never write off new entries. Even if I don't see said entry immediately or shortly after its debut.

I agree on an already mentioned gross offender, Terminator, BUT my preference goes further than what has been said currently.
    Terminator 1-4(Salvation) + TSCC tv show + 3D theme park ride are one Terminator Universe. The other entries with Genisys and Dark Fate are each their own alt universe take on the saga.

Alien Resurrection(4) is pretty bad and while Alien 3 does some damage I've rewatched it half a dozen times the past 15yrs and not once bothered with Resurrection. I've not rewatched any of Ridley Scotts prequel movies

Predator 1-3 are all great->good. The fourth entry THE Predator is pretty bad. I love the first AvP by the way, hate the second.

Highlander 1 & 3 I like the others are pretty bad and the 5th entry, The Source is so bad it makes The Quickening tolerable.

Halloween for me has one fairly reasonable universe for the first 9 films through Resurrection, with Resurrection being the weakest entry. The "reboots" are just a cash grab done poorly imo.

Ghostbusters(2016) is a disaster, thankfully Afterlife righted that ship and I'm looking forward to the proper 4th entry later this year, Frozen Empire.

Transformers only has one great entry, the first in '07. Dark of the Moon(the 3rd) is strong. The others in the Bay saga, directed by Bay are degrees of bad/horrible. The solo Bumblebee is good and the last one Rise of the Beasts(not directed by Bay) is tolerable.

I feel if they don't let John Wick rest at #4 it is about to jump the shark. It ended well enough, let it be.

Fast and Furious has gotten ridiculous, especially the last outing but I have enjoyed them this far in(kind of like Halloween).

That means by and large I like with degrees the other franchises as they are: Rocky, Rambo, Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, BHC(pending Axel's 4th upcoming entry), Jurassic Park, LOTR/Hobbit, Expendables, Fast/Furious, Star Trek, Star Wars , Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. My modern horror(21st c) viewing is grossly behind(other than Halloween) so I have no opinion on things like Saw, Final Destination, Purge etc.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I largely agree on this one. Though perhaps in my head canon, some better version of Crystal Skull maybe possibly happened.
    The old man bits in YIC had Indy as an old man with a forty-something daughter which kind of was contradicted by the sequels, although I suppose they can still find some explanation such as have her from another relationship Indy had when on a break from Marion during the late 30s-50s, or have her be adopted....

Also missing an eye but that hasn't happened either.

ALIEN 3 had some good moments such as Dutton's speeches, some of the atmosphere. A lot of what happened is that pretty much the plot changed from the interesting concept of a wooden planet of space monks to a prison planet (although with the religious aspect still kept).

Also a lot of scenes dealing with the prisoners trapping the Alien and how it got out again were cut, making it make a lot less sense in the finished film. Although I kind of prefer that the Dog was the burster instead of an already dead cow, kind of makes more sense that way and how the Alien moves. That the Alien inherits some features of it's host body has been a pretty big part of Alien lore since.

Part of the reason it didn't do so great, is that I can get that they wanted to bring back the more claustrophobic "One Alien" feel of the original although I think audiences pretty much wanted an action film with fun characters like the second one.

Of course ALIEN 4 tried that and fell on it's face.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-11-2024 at 03:23 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth