Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default For me this movie/show ended with...

So annoying. I've read comments from all over such as "FOR ME THE MCU ENDED WITH ENDGAME AND EVERYTHING ELSE AFTER SUCKED" and "FOR ME STAR WARS ENDED AFTER THE LAST JEDI AND THINGS AFTER THAT SUCKED". It's fine to dislike that but then for those that have enjoyed all of the shows/movies since then I feel their opinion gets shot down with "well, because I said so my word is gospel and you're wrong". For me things the MCU didn't end after Endgame. I finished wanting to know what happened next with the MCU and I've enjoyed it despite the flaws. As with Star Wars, things like the character of Ahoska and her relationship with Anakin, The Bad Batch, Andor and so on have been enjoyable. Purists be purists, I guess.

Going to be honest I've been done with the Terminator franchise since T3 came out for the most part to me T2 was the perfect ending. While I don't hate Aliens 3 like many, I do feel for the most part the franchises ended for me with Aliens.

I wrote Star Trek off after DISCO and PIC season 1 and 2 but they rebounded with a Fantastic Season 3 of PIC and with new shows like SNW, Prodigy, and Lower Decks but to this day still dislike DISCO.

While I don't subscribe to the "This Ruined the Franchise and all past movies and shows in it" mentality I do understand being like I'm out occasionally.

Arrow ended for me in season 3 when Oliver worked with Slade and shook his hand at the end of the episode, letting him run free. I mean seriously? You shake the hand of the man who killed your mom in front of you and your sister? I was like **** this.
    Last edited by James Cameron; 01-16-2024 at 10:21 AM.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

For a lot of Simpsons fans, seems that the show generally "jumped the shark" around season 11 or 12.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So annoying. I've read comments from all over such as "FOR ME THE MCU ENDED WITH ENDGAME AND EVERYTHING ELSE AFTER SUCKED" and "FOR ME STAR WARS ENDED AFTER THE LAST JEDI AND THINGS AFTER THAT SUCKED". It's fine to dislike that but then for those that have enjoyed all of the shows/movies since then I feel their opinion gets shot down with "well, because I said so my word is gospel and you're wrong". For me things the MCU didn't end after Endgame. I finished wanting to know what happened next with the MCU and I've enjoyed it despite the flaws. As with Star Wars, things like the character of Ahoska and her relationship with Anakin, The Bad Batch, Andor and so on have been enjoyable. Purists be purists, I guess.
    I felt the same way about Highlander. That second movie was just trash and I was ready to write the franchise off. But then the TV series was pretty good, so it all came back around.

Similarly, I might be tempted to say that Buffy ended with the end of season 3, or her death at the end of season 4. But then I never would have seen Once More, With Feeling, which was fun, even the rest of seasons five, six and seven were... not to my taste.

Video Game-wise there was generally highly mixed reactions to the first SUPER MARIO BROS (Although it wasn't really a sequel per se but a re-skinned version of another game-the real SM2 wasn't realeased until over a decade later) ZELDA and CASTLEVANIA sequels, that the third games were generally sort of "course corrections" with a style more similar to the original (although still with some innovations such as SM3's map, the branching levels and multiple characters of Castlevania 3 etc).

Kind of happened recently with Assassins Creed. Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla, which incorporated more action RPG elements, to the combat, 30+ hour storylines and game-length DLCS were generally well-received by critics but fans felt they drifted too far from the simple stealth action of the older games (With UNITY generally considered the last 'traditional' one) and also stretched the definition of an Assassin by having proto versions with Bayek and Alexios/Kassandra & a Viking (Eivor) who was affiliated with the brotherhood and used their techniques but otherwise not a member.

There's a smaller opinion that Metal Gear Solid dropped some of it's stealth focused with Peace Walker and Phantom Pain where you can call in helicopter support, have a companion character help out, and sends troops on missions, but it kind of fits the character of Big Boss who is known as a leader of men rather than Solid Snake who was a lone wolf.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-08-2024 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I felt the same way about Highlander. That second movie was just trash and I was ready to write the franchise off. But then the TV series was pretty good, so it all came back around.

Similarly, I might be tempted to say that Buffy ended with the end of season 3, or her death at the end of season 4. But then I never would have seen Once More, With Feeling, which was fun, even the rest of seasons five, six and seven were... not to my taste.
    I was gonna say exactly that, although somewhat jokingly. The high school seasons are my favourite, but I do think the remaining seasons have nuggets of greatness contained in them, even seasons 6 and 7. And of course, we got Angel after Buffy season 3, which was a different flavour of awesome. But Buffy seasons 1-3 are rthe only ones I own on DVD.

Small nitpick: Buffy died at the end of season 5. Season 4 was the first college season, with Adam as the Big Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    For a lot of Simpsons fans, seems that the show generally "jumped the shark" around season 11 or 12.
    'Tennis the Menace' for me. I watched that episode, I was like 'Okay, I'm done with The Simpsons'.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Boisterously Confused

Stars Wars ended for me with RoJ. Gets a really complicated from there as I thought I-III were really weak, but I've become more accepting of them as I've enjoyed most of the recent Disney+ shows, which depend on their history, and it also allows Rogue 1 into the room. I head-canon VII-IX away as a potential alternate future; I didn't hate it, but didn't enjoy it either.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 01-08-2024 at 12:04 PM.

Fantastic Member

I can be like that too. Things like Saturday Night Live (I started with Eddie Murphy and while I've been in and out through the years, it was only this current season that I've found completely unenjoyable); Spider-Man comics (started with Gwen Stacy dying; when she came back and got pregnant by Norman Osborn, I was out); The Simpsons (stopped watching sometime around 2002); Star Wars (original trilogy and I refuse to say 'A New Hope'), I've loved for years if not decades. But I also recognize there are people who come after me and all these things are shiny and new. I'm sure plenty of teens love the current SNL cast, and maybe they'll enjoy it as long as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I was gonna say exactly that, although somewhat jokingly. The high school seasons are my favourite, but I do think the remaining seasons have nuggets of greatness contained in them, even seasons 6 and 7. And of course, we got Angel after Buffy season 3, which was a different flavour of awesome. But Buffy seasons 1-3 are rthe only ones I own on DVD.

Small nitpick: Buffy died at the end of season 5. Season 4 was the first college season, with Adam as the Big Bad.

'Tennis the Menace' for me. I watched that episode, I was like 'Okay, I'm done with The Simpsons'.
    Tennis the Menace isn't even a bad episode...

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Going to be honest I've been done with the Terminator franchise since T3 came out for the most part to me T2 was the perfect ending. While I don't hate Aliens 3 like many, I do feel for the most part the franchises ended for me with Aliens.
    Pretty much the same for me. Didn't feel like I was interested in seeing anymore of either franchise after the third entries (neither of which I've watched a second time).

I have 2.

Regarding the Terminator franchise, it ended with this in my mind.

And then sometimes, Buffy The Vampire Slayer ended when Buffy jumped into that portal to save the world. They really could never top Season Five.

Ed
    Once Ed got with Carol, the whole premise of the show was off. The best part of the show was the tension between the two and how fate was keeping them apart.
    Last edited by krazijoe; 01-09-2024 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    I can be like that too. Things like Saturday Night Live (I started with Eddie Murphy and while I've been in and out through the years, it was only this current season that I've found completely unenjoyable); Spider-Man comics (started with Gwen Stacy dying; when she came back and got pregnant by Norman Osborn, I was out); The Simpsons (stopped watching sometime around 2002); Star Wars (original trilogy and I refuse to say 'A New Hope'), I've loved for years if not decades. But I also recognize there are people who come after me and all these things are shiny and new. I'm sure plenty of teens love the current SNL cast, and maybe they'll enjoy it as long as I did.
    Think it kind of lost a bit when Kate and Pete left, although Mikey day is still good at playing "straight man", James Austin Johnson is a great impressionist, but the rest are a bit of an acquired taste, especially Sarah Sherman who gets a lot of the "gross out" sketches and Please Don't Destroy.

Wonder if Keenan is ever going to leave, he's pretty much been there forever.

Oh, that,s silly. TLJ destroyed Star Wars and ended it in that sense.

I am joking. Yes, I didn't care for the new trilogy but there's good new SW stuff and I also hate it when people give the impression that it's an objective fact, not their opinion. It's along the lines of " REAL" Superman fans..." or whatever character followed by the idea that the "real" character ended in1986 or whichever year as if that is an inarguable fact.
    Power with Girl is better.