Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Men Unlimited #121 - Review/Spoilers

The issue opens with a Fall of X recap and roster page. We're reminded that "no longer simply hated and feared, every mutant remaining on planet Earth is a fugitive, living underground, on the lam or in one of an extremely small number of tentative safe havens.

We're at Camp Gozhoo, Arizona where John Proudstar is doing some work while mutant children are hanging out and playing. We learn that he and Jimmy have been rescuing mutants and bringing them back to the Reservation. John says they should be "out there" rather than hiding but Jimmy says they're not hiding, that Orchis doesn't want mutants in "their America" so by them standing firm on their land, they're living. As they talk and share a beer with their grandmother, we see Orchis agents entering the camp moving to take mutants as prisoners including Somnus and Cerebra.

His heightened senses pick up what's happening and he breaks his beer bottle on John's rock solid shoulder then throws the broken piece through the eye gap of one of the Orchis agents' helmet. Oof! Jimmy says they must be lost because they're on their land and John tells them to leave on foot or their asses. One of the agents says the sovereignty of their land doesn't mean anything when they're harboring fugitives. Grandma says if they want to take the mutants then they'll have to take all the residents starting with her. One of the goons points his gun right at her face and she smirks as John and Jimmy start pummeling them. The brothers are showing them no mercy.

Most of the agents are now dead but three remain, one telling them to freeze as they have Somnus and a couple of other mutants at gunpoint.

Somnus looks up while cradling the crying child and compliments the shot, asking if they've ever met.

Jimmy runs at her, relieved and joyous to see her. He says he thought the gates got her and that he was barely able to wrestle John away from one. She says that she did go through a gate but it's a long story, that newly activated mutants are being abducted and they've been watching. (I'm assuming she means she and the Realm of X group have been watching.) She tells them that opening their land to refugees was always going to get Orchis' attention. John is like "No #&@&" and that's the reason why he wants to send them a message such as Devo's head on a plate. Dani is like chill, that will only do so much and that's why she left some of the agents alive.

Dani: "Although something feels wrong about these troops. They're crossing borders. Escalating fast. We need to know why..."

The ground starts shaking but it's not an earthquake as Jimmy says there hasn't been one in years. John turns to see what's causing it...
    Last edited by JB; 01-08-2024 at 03:13 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Next: Crule Intentions!

Crule?! He was one of the Externals sacrificed in the spell to create the External Gate way back in Excalibur. We saw preview art of Rictor so perhaps he's linked to all of this. Now I wonder if the other three sacrificed Externals are free and how!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Next: Crule Intentions!

Crule?! He was one of the Externals sacrificed in the spell to create the External Gate way back in Excalibur. We saw preview art of Rictor so perhaps he's linked to all of this. Now I wonder if the other three sacrificed Externals are free and how!
    Didn't Selene got her gate back in Immortal ? Maybe Coven Akkaba undid that spell.

Also they're really bein kill happy in the x-books now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Didn't Selene got her gate back in Immortal ? Maybe Coven Akkaba undid that spell.

Also they're really bein kill happy in the x-books now.
    She hasn’t been able to secure it just yet as Sinister/Xavier killed the Orchis goons guarding it. Although maybe we’ll learn she got it while Charles was on Muir Island.

Yeah I was surprised with how brutally the goons were killed here. When Betsy enters the story I guess I should expect some heads to come off.

I was tempted to just post emojis, but the board probably wouldn't like that.

She says that she did go through a gate but it's a long story, that newly activated mutants are being abducted and they've been watching. (I'm assuming she means she and the Realm of X group have been watching.)
    Maybe, but I can't see that group sticking together. I'm thinking she's already teamed up with Sunspot. (Well, hoping, anyway.)

Ultimate Member

I was thinking that Warpath didn't have any living relatives before John got brought back...

Yeah, I that surprised me, too. Maybe she didn't live on the reservation that got wiped out?

Their grandma was revealed to be alive in GS Thunderbird a couple of years back. She separated from their grandfather so didn't live with the rest of the family.

She hasn’t been able to secure it just yet as Sinister/Xavier killed the Orchis goons guarding it. Although maybe we’ll learn she got it while Charles was on Muir Island.

Yeah I was surprised with how brutally the goons were killed here. When Betsy enters the story I guess I should expect some heads to come off.
    Ah I just finished the Immortal issue where Xavier fights Shaw and Selene and Shaw says something like "Selene gets the Gate anyways so she's quieted." So I assume she took it off panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Ah I just finished the Immortal issue where Xavier fights Shaw and Selene and Shaw says something like "Selene gets the Gate anyways so she's quieted." So I assume she took it off panel.
    Oh that's right! I forgot about that. Hmm so yeah maybe she undid the spell and released the Externals.

Loved it. Now it's clearer how the Knights will jump into the mix with the Externals making a comeback.

Astonishing Member

Got to say. It's weard xmen unlimited having constant quality stories. We've come so far from what ever green was

The Steves on Unlimited have been pretty great. How did Realm of X end?
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Badly.

Seriously, everything went back to normal and they all went home, although we didn't actually see them arrive home.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Loved it. Now it's clearer how the Knights will jump into the mix with the Externals making a comeback.
    Krule appearing was a nice surprise. I love that the gate thread is being picked up now that Selene got her hands on it as Nicoclaws reminded. Like you said this opens the door for Betsy and the Knights (great band name) to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Got to say. It's weard xmen unlimited having constant quality stories. We've come so far from what ever green was
    It was smart of the X-office to decide to tie Unlimited to current continuity and fill in the gaps. It gives the stories that much more impact and assigning the Steve's was perfect.

Also I believe this is the first time an issue had a Fall of X title page?

That makes it very connected to everything going on. I liked how it stated that there are very few safe havens which makes me think the Knights have been doing something similar to the Proudstar's.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    The team was sent back to Earth by Thor and his people, though we don't know if they have stayed together or split up since.