Boisterously Confused

Default Favorite Superhero Weakness

Weaknesses are kind of a lost art in superhero comics. That thing that could short circuit even the mightiest champions and lay them prey to a beatdown by the lowliest of pickpockets. Kryptonite, casting more than three hexes, man-chained braclets, being careless with where you put the hammer for more than one minute, the list was long in the old days.

For sure, in rushed or lesser authorial hands, weaknesses turned into cheap ways to make drama out of weak plots. In greater hands they made compelling stories of courage and ingenuity.

I'm not asking about stupid notions (like Hal Jordon's penchant for bonking his head, or Kent Nelson being a chump for a choke hold). What were good, character building weaknesses?

My personal fave was Snowbird. She didn't just assume a form, she mentally became that creature, and the longer she stayed in a form, the harder it was to shake off.

One of the things I loved about it never (to my knowledge) got explored: Snowbird had a human form, Anne McKenzie, Corporal, Canadian Royal Mounted Police. How much of Snowbird's attachment to our world was governed by her human form's personality?

Your fav?

Aqua man's need to be in water, when done wrong, made him a joke. But, when done well, emphasized his affinity for the sea and kept him in the environment where he belonged, rather than being forced into Justice League stories where he shouldn't have been.

But my favorite weakness was Tony Stark's heart condition. When done by good writers, it had real pathos, reminding us this is a guy who shouldn't be doing this stuff at all but constantly risks a major heart attack to get out there and help people.
    Power with Girl is better.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Aqua man's need to be in water, when done wrong, made him a joke. But, when done well, emphasized his affinity for the sea and kept him in the environment where he belonged, rather than being forced into Justice League stories where he shouldn't have been.

But my favorite weakness was Tony Stark's heart condition. When done by good writers, it had real pathos, reminding us this is a guy who shouldn't be doing this stuff at all but constantly risks a major heart attack to get out there and help people.
    That was my number two. Tony should always chained by two factors, his karmic debts, and the heart wound tied to his karmic debts.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 01-08-2024 at 06:11 PM.

Hopefully this counts, but a personal favorite would be Yamcha & his fear of women

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hopefully this counts, but a personal favorite would be Yamcha & his fear of women

I'm unfamiliar with the character. What was the story advantage lent by the weakness?

Always thought this was morbidly funny…:

Mister Mxyzptlk not being able to handle saying his name backwards. (I know, not a hero, but still it’s a good one.)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Mister Mxyzptlk not being able to handle saying his name backwards. (I know, not a hero, but still it’s a good one.)
    Yeah, that is a great one, regardless.

Favorite weakness? Guess it's kryptonite and all its variations. It's certainly the first weakness I can recall.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I always enjoyed that Superman was weak to magic but they never used it enough.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Storm being claustrophobic was always interesting to me.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Always thought this was morbidly funny…:

Damn Logans a dick here. Even I didn't think Logan could be this much of a jerk.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I always enjoyed that Superman was weak to magic but they never used it enough.
    They used it a ton. It was like every third Silver Age Justice League issue curbed Supes with magic

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Damn Logans a dick here. Even I didn't think Logan could be this much of a jerk.
    ^^^Totally out of character for him, but darkly funny.

Green Arrow’s Kryptonite is women. And man has it been used to maximum effect!