Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Achillies murders his way through soldiers on the beach, taking them on two and three at a time, casually and effortlessly.

Hector is a guy who fights his way through pitched battles, killing all before him - he's the best fighter Troy has to offer and it shows, not just in presentation. He gets into a fight with Patroclus, Patroclus being a guy who is also good enough to kill his way through pitched battles. Hector rather cleanly beats Patroclus.

This also shows how good Hector is.

Achilles toys with Hector, completely overwhelming him at times and not killing him because - as noted in the movie - he's creating a spectacle. He then decides he's finished and pretty much insta-murders Hector (with his own weapon, after yoinking it from him).

Other feats? He beheads a bronze statue with a single swing of his Xiphos - this is not exactly a big, heavy sword. It's a short one.

He also throws that same sword at someone standing about 8' from him. The thrown sword cuts through a metal helmet and cleaves partway through his target's skull. But it doesn't land point-first, spearing in, which would be BS but at least vaguely believable. No, it hits the guy's head edge-on, sideways, and still cuts through the helmet into his skull. <-- this is absolutely nutso, don't know why they went with it other than 'horrific visual', but that's the feat.

Another post by myself going into things about the beach and the Hector fight, for further detail.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-25-2024 at 06:47 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Hector also beat Ajax, a guy who can hit horses (with their riders on them) of their feet with his hammer.
    The movie was good at showing impressive fighters who got killed by other, even more impressive fighters, and Achilles was at the top, as sharp says, pretty casually in fact.

Beatrix and John wick are beasts, but during their movies they get beat up quite alot, though generally they are the biggest badass in their movies. But nothing hit Achilles, no wound no anything, aside from the (maybe fated by the gods) arrow in his heels.

He had no problem easily doing a no-look shieldflip to his back to block arrows when fighting an army.

He is not in the "i can solo an army by myself" bracket, but you can put him easily in the vanguard (i think he was with like 20 mirmidon's?) and watch him kill any group of soldiers that are dumb enough to try their luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j08D4hNFb5U

shows alot of the feats and other things we talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    But nothing hit Achilles, no wound no anything, aside from the (maybe fated by the gods) arrow in his heels.
    Getting shot in the leg from behind while he's focusing completely on picking up and carrying someone, not really aware he's in any danger and with his arms full to boot, I can totally see that happening.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-25-2024 at 06:48 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Yeah, Troy was really putting the notion Achilles was one hell of a warrior among all of them. The reaction Hector gave as well as a later scene of him telling his wife he has never seen a spear thrown that far just adds more to the whole thing that Achilles is ridiculous but he's there and you don't really want to make him your enemy...Which poor Hector ultimately ends up having to do.

Nice one, Iron.

The spear throw happens waaaay outside of normal range for such things. Even with that, it's perfectly placed, just above the guy's armor. Not that the armour would have done much - it was thrown with enough speed/force to rip the guy off the horse and send him flying backward (and his momentum was forward, to boot).

Another ridiculous feat for Achilles.
    Why are we here?

I appreciate how in that scene even the cavalry stops dead for a second in shock at the throw lol
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I appreciate how in that scene even the cavalry stops dead for a second in shock at the throw lol
    It would certainly give me pause!

'I have to fight someone who can do that?'
    Why are we here?