Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jadis the Witch Queen of Narnia vs Achilles

Jadis from the 2005 movie vs Brad Pitt Achilles

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Um wasn't Achilles just a regular guy in that? Good fighter but still a guy? Jadis just turns him to stone.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Um wasn't Achilles just a regular guy in that? Good fighter but still a guy? Jadis just turns him to stone.
    The people said he was immortal, He said he didn't THINK he was, and then he died in exactly the way he was Fated to. So whether he was immortal except for the weakpoint, or whether it was just a Fate thing, was left deliberately unexplored.

IIRC anyway.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    The people said he was immortal, He said he didn't THINK he was, and then he died in exactly the way he was Fated to. So whether he was immortal except for the weakpoint, or whether it was just a Fate thing, was left deliberately unexplored.

IIRC anyway.
    I'm pretty sure it was more like he was so damn good at killing it gave the illusion to many that he's immortal or at least superhuman compared to the other named warriors in that film. Hell, his first fight scene was him being so irritated having to be asked to fight and he straight up killed his opponent with barely any effort on his part. He's just that good....Though it's also similar to Captain America of being supposedly just a human at absolute physical peak yet capable of some flat out superhuman feats kind of deal that Hollywood tends to do (he beheaded that bronze statue with a single sword swing or killed a guy so far away with one spear throw? Totally a thing humans can do at their very best in that setting!).

Like Paris was just lucky as hell to even hit Achilles at his heel where the myths tend to say was the only vulnerable place on his body...But the film points out Paris added more arrows on Achilles chest and that definitely killed him.
    Last edited by Iron_Twister; 01-12-2024 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Have never seen the Brad Pitt movie. Glad its that version, not the original Homeric version. I think, in the original, he does things like toss chariots- with the horses still attached?
    Power with Girl is better.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Have never seen the Brad Pitt movie. Glad its that version, not the original Homeric version. I think, in the original, he does things like toss chariots- with the horses still attached?
    He also gets somewhat explicitly helped out by Athena in Homer's version.

Even discounting that, when he's angry he kills so many soldiers that it fully dams a river. He's the best fighter in a mileu where the less-good named heroes basically solo armies (looking at you, Diogenes) or are so respected that armies just run scared (Great Ajax, Hector). And those guys know that they have zero chance whatsoever against Achilles. He's a murder machine.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Even discounting that, when he's angry he kills so many soldiers that it fully dams a river.
    Which...did not turn out so well for him. ^_^

rage-of-achilles-harkavant.jpg

Ended up needing to get himself saved by a couple of the gods.

Image credit: Kate Beaton, Hark A Vagrant
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

I've read somewhere that the arrow that killed Achilles was poisoned. If he were the mythological superhuman - arrows in the chest wouldn't kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I've read somewhere that the arrow that killed Achilles was poisoned. If he were the mythological superhuman - arrows in the chest wouldn't kill him.
    Arrows back in the day were frequently poisoned, from what I've been led to believe by historians. It's also consistent with a number of myths and legends - Heracles getting killed by a poisoned shirt, Achilles fatal shot, Hera using poison snakes in her earliest attempt on baby Herc's life - all of the proto Greeks loved some poison. Sort of at odds with the concept of aristesia, IMO, but what can you do?
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Which...did not turn out so well for him. ^_^

rage-of-achilles-harkavant.jpg

Ended up needing to get himself saved by a couple of the gods.

Image credit: Kate Beaton, Hark A Vagrant
    Great image, though I don't remember it that way in the Illiad - granted I don't read ancient Greek and I read the translated version 30-some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Great image, though I don't remember it that way in the Illiad - granted I don't read ancient Greek and I read the translated version 30-some years ago.
    I myself distinctly recall 'Oh sh!t' in Homer's classic, so I question your memories. ^_^

Edit: Also, I hate trying to get around the new censor, here.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I myself distinctly recall 'Oh sh!t' in Homer's classic, so I question your memories. ^_^

Edit: Also, I hate trying to get around the new censor, here.
    The HAVE been known to be questionable from time to time.

And censoring sucks a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Please change good fighter to Friggin amazing fighter that is still held in very high regard in the rumbles forum. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    Please change good fighter to Friggin amazing fighter that is still held in very high regard in the rumbles forum. thank you
    Pretty much, yeah. Well-put.

Didn't much like the movie, nor the character, but his capabilities are pretty solid. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    amazing? I don't remember anything amazing he was a good fighter but not amazing somebody like John Wick or Beatrix Kiddo or Mad Dog they are amazing.