Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

I think they'd have to go back to her first or second life for depowering to work. As JB said, Moira should remember her last lives even if she's depowered. She remembers everything as soon as she gains consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I wasn’t going to pick this up, but seeing people reacting positively I decided to try it. It’s a finely written book very reminiscent of PoX and what Gillen was doing in Immortal up to the SoS. Silva’s art is lovely as usual. Unfortunately, I just don’t care about any of the story being told and the over reliance on time travel is pretty much killing any investment I might have had.
    This is exactly how I feel after reading this issue. The comic itself was very well done, but I just no longer care about the story or outcome of this era. Hopefully this feeling will change and I will finish reading since we are so close to the end so there's still time for them to draw me back in.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    She 'switched sides' because she was betrayed and became determined to wipe out every mutant. Beyond that there is not enough consistency to make an educated guess as to what she would actually do given the chance. However, I will point out that the fact that OS is here and has stopped that future could be seen by Moira as a loss anyway.
    I disagree that she was betrayed, Xavier and Magneto did everything they could to get her back when she was abducted, what happened with Mystique and Destiny was the consequences of her own actions catching up to her. The point is she had options after Inferno but chose to join with AI because, as she said in this issue she wanted to be on the winning side, but when she made that decision she didn't have all the information she has now and that should be explored in the text.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What could be interesting is if they go back to young Moira of life 10. This would be a Moira that knows of the previous 9 lives and would be dead set on creating Krakoa, right? Even a conversation with her, telling her what happens in life 10, could change the trajectory of things without having to kill her maybe?
    I think they can only access the past of Life 10, the current timeline, the realities of other lives were destroyed when Moira died, no?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think the problem you are having is needing the death to matter. They arent done to garner emotional resonance with the reader and thats definitely not expected the first issue in.
    It is not simply that deaths don't matter - character development doesn't matter.

Mystique acknowledging Gambit as a good son-in-law is meaningless outside of fan service, as it only happens (1) moments before a contrived death scene, and (2) Current day Gambit/Mystique will go on carrying on as if that never happened.

Moira failing to acknowledge that Omega Sentinel came from the future (which is a pretty big failure to acknowledge considering Moira's whole thing is that mutants never win) is meaningless because that gets washed away by whatever Xavier is doing.

The problem is that everything that happens in a time-reset story is that the writers usually get carried away on the flashy nature of being able to go wild in the Future, and letting what happens to characters become meaningless.

I do think the Gillen's choice in centering the story around Xavier-Moira will ultimately pay off in the end, since these are the only characters where there will be lasting effects.

Extraordinary Member

I disagree that she was betrayed, Xavier and Magneto did everything they could to get her back when she was abducted, what happened with Mystique and Destiny was the consequences of her own actions catching up to her. The point is she had options after Inferno but chose to join with AI because, as she said in this issue she wanted to be on the winning side, but when she made that decision she didn't have all the information she has now and that should be explored in the text.
    The issues where she went on an alternate future mutant killing spree explained why she did it (and it is not that I support her claims that she was betrayed, that is just how the story shows she felt). It was not some plot hole that was waiting to be filled in. Do you think Gillen had her say that to retcon the story? Maybe that will be the case, but for now we actually do know why she did it and I am not about to throw out an entire event for a random panel.

With Moira the simplest narrative option might be to deponer her before her mutant gift manifest and then have everything that happened originally still happened except for Krakoa. The thing is though, I don't think that's necessarily the direction they are going, especially as it would erase/take away some of the characters that were brought into play because of Krakoa (Thunderbird, Synch, Banshee). I really think there will be twist/curveball before this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    With Moira the simplest narrative option might be to deponer her before her mutant gift manifest and then have everything that happened originally still happened except for Krakoa. The thing is though, I don't think that's necessarily the direction they are going, especially as it would erase/take away some of the characters that were brought into play because of Krakoa (Thunderbird, Synch, Banshee). I really think there will be twist/curveball before this is over.
    I dont think its as complicated as people are making it out to be. Gillen has already been setting up the Phoenix Force to fix it all. I think th question is more about how it does so and the last reprecussions of that for Jean and the X-men going forward. I dont think these theories about Krakoa being erased/retconned out of existence will pan out.

Mighty Member

So Gambit gets taken out running in for a self bomb twice and dies twice in as many years. I think it's time we acknowledge its time to close Marvel's doors. You couldn't even try to create something interesting? Literally Marvel needs a total clean up. Fire Kevin Feige who is head or Marvel. Fire CB Cebulski the editor. Fire every single writer that has even a hint of love in the xoffice.

I've routinely said I'm not really a Marvel fan per se, Gambit is the reason I even pay attention to these comics. But at this point it's clear there's not a single good writer working at Marvel. Even those with support are not actually good writers. All they can do is create good concepts. None of them can bring a story home. And with executives telling them who to push and who to push down you can see why Mark Waid said the industry is struggling.

And if I seem too hyperbolic right now I probably am. But I keep seeing the writing on the wall that Gambit is in the process of being removed from the main Xmen and replaced soon. While a lot of people don't see that as a problem well i said I'm here cause of Gambit. When I was struggling through pandemic stuff I decided to really go through Gambits comics and have fun. And after rediscovering my love for him I realize I came in as Kevin Feige is attempting to replace all the legacy characters in order to bring replacement mantle characters to the MCU I've learned there's no reason to invest my emotions into Marvel. Because it's clear the people who run marvel do not care. They want to exploit the existing fan base for money, but don't actually care if the readers and fans come away happy.

Tl:dr fire literally everyone at marvel right now from Kevin Feige to the execs to the editors down to the writers. None of them care

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking we're going to see an attempt by Orbis. His timeline is redacted on the data page so there seems to be some important reveal connected to it.
    You are right, the fact that it is redacted means they are saving some reveal then. I wonder if we will see Charles sending Rasputin IV there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    I hope they don't retcon away the Krakoa era.

Who do we think are the other characters with Xavier? Rachel and who else?
    I just saw someone guess Manifold. I would love that.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The issues where she went on an alternate future mutant killing spree explained why she did it (and it is not that I support her claims that she was betrayed, that is just how the story shows she felt). It was not some plot hole that was waiting to be filled in. Do you think Gillen had her say that to retcon the story? Maybe that will be the case, but for now we actually do know why she did it and I am not about to throw out an entire event for a random panel.
    When Inferno ended there were two bits of information that Moira was unaware of. The first is that Xavier and Magneto did attempt to rescue her, the second is that OS came from a future where the mutants won. Throughout Percy's garbage event, he explains why Moira made the choice she did, but I don't believe he ever had either of those bits of information revealed to her. I'm not saying that the decision she made needs to be retconned, but we should have seen when Moira found out that information and how she reacted to it. That's all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont think its as complicated as people are making it out to be. Gillen has already been setting up the Phoenix Force to fix it all. I think th question is more about how it does so and the last reprecussions of that for Jean and the X-men going forward. I dont think these theories about Krakoa being erased/retconned out of existence will pan out.
    I think there will be attempts to do something to Moira but agree it will come down to the PF doing something (which could have something to do with Moira, I still feel they might try to restore pre-Hickman Moira).
    Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    You are right, the fact that it is redacted means they are saving some reveal then. I wonder if we will see Charles sending Rasputin IV there as well.
    Given how many issues we have I would not be surprised to see one of the stories reveal that. On the other hand I think we have had redacted stuff in the past that was never revealed and it would serve such a purpose (making something a mystery) and now they do not have to come up with some idea of how that one happened and try to explain it in a few lines. This issue makes it sound like the Xavier crew has been through those scenarios so I might actually lean more towards it not being something that gets revealed or shown at all.

Extraordinary Member

When Inferno ended there were two bits of information that Moira was unaware of. The first is that Xavier and Magneto did attempt to rescue her, the second is that OS came from a future where the mutants won. Throughout Percy's garbage event, he explains why Moira made the choice she did, but I don't believe he ever had either of those bits of information revealed to her. I'm not saying that the decision she made needs to be retconned, but we should have seen when Moira found out that information and how she reacted to it. That's all.
    With all of the minis coming out, and I feel like Marvel thinks there are not enough, this could have been the time to finally do that Moira X mini and try to salvage the character before it is all over.

With all of the minis coming out, and I feel like Marvel thinks there are not enough, this could have been the time to finally do that Moira X mini and try to salvage the character before it is all over.
    I’m hoping that this will act as a stealth Moira X mini as the focus returns to her. But really I hate turning her from a morally grey character to someone who doesn’t bat an eye at the fact that mutants had a chance to win. She devoted several lifetimes to mutantkind and that doesn’t mean a thing?

Moira deserves a one-shot for the end of this series. Hickman focused so much on his boys Eric and Xavier that she was just kind of left hanging.

Not Moira X. The one that started this all.