Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Solias View Post
    Gaaah, that's my fear too, Jonah is almost seemed more Uncle Ben than Uncle Ben based on the tie interaction. Will be interesting to see if it's built on more.
    I think it be a great twist for Jonah to be the one to get killed. But he needs to give Peter the great power comes great responsibility speech before he dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    I suspect Gwen will be working at NYPD, either as an officer like her father or as a forensic scientist at the morgue.

If Felicia's around, the immediate guess would be that she's up to her usual shenanigans- but then again, this issue definitely indicates that there'll be pivots and swerves to the typical roadmap that a lot of the cast typically follow. So maybe she's a professional thief who Ben and Jonah recruit at some point to get dirt on Fisk as they start to piece together the broader conspiracy behind the NYC attack?

I could maybe see Jonah or Ben smearing Spider-Man in their new paper, but my gut is leaning towards that happening over at the Bugle at the behest of Fisk as the company owner. I do think Jonah is probably going to get killed though and that the impact that will have on Ben's character and his role in the narrative will be rather drastic. Maybe it'll wind up building up to something of an emotional test of character for Ben and demonstrating that even a morally just and well-intended individual like him can feel temptation to give into selfish desires like revenge as the Council's acts take more and more people close to him away.

Oh I definitely think it's likely that Jonah is going to get caught in the crossfires and die at some point in this run. He's far too immediately lovable and kind to Peter and Ben for his own good.
    Gwen could be placed as a great ally to Peter or something. What would you do with her? Or she could be Peter’s ex. Felicia I kinda find her hard to place in the story since Peter is married. Maybe Peter tries to fight temptation or something?

I think Jonah getting killed instead of Ben would be a great twist.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Gwen could be placed as a great ally to Peter or something. What would you do with her? Or she could be Peter’s ex. Felicia I kinda find her hard to place in the story since Peter is married. Maybe Peter tries to fight temptation or something?

I think Jonah getting killed instead of Ben would be a great twist.
    I don't think Peter ever had a relationship with Gwen in this timeline. Peter and MJ are 35 years old here and Richard is clearly around 12 or 13 years old, so that would mean they started having kids when they were around 22 or 23 years old at most. I think Kevinroc's theory is correct and that Peter wound up hooking up with MJ way earlier on in life due to him never getting his powers meaning he couldn't dodge Aunt May's blind date set-ups, so they probably married right after graduating college together.

I doubt Peter will have a romantic tease with Felicia either. That doesn't seem like the sort of character drama that Hickman's interested in tackling, going off of his work in the Fantastic Four run and what I've heard about his Avengers and X-Men runs too. If I had to guess, maybe Felicia will have a girlfriend here like we're seeing in other appearances these days?

Admittedly I'm a tad biased, because I actively prefer the idea of Ben surviving this whole run and being a very prominent and fleshed out character for a change, but I do think it makes more sense overall to kill Jonah here than it would for Ben. Uncle Ben's whole deal in the Spider-Man mythology typically is to be the dead guy. His death is a literal meme, on par with that of Red Shirts in OG Star Trek. It's too obvious and safe to kill Uncle Ben here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    I suspect Gwen will be working at NYPD, either as an officer like her father or as a forensic scientist at the morgue.
    Honestly I don't know what to expect after that Ben twist. I would have predicted that Gwen would have married Harry and perhaps done some work at Oscorp as a nod to both her 616 counterpart and the movies. And given that Peter pursued journalism as opposed to a career in science, he'd likely know Gwen about as well as he knew Harry.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 01-10-2024 at 10:25 PM.

The dialogue felt fairly stilted overall, same issue with the Ultimate Invasion but I am exited for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Honestly I don't know what to expect after that Ben twist. I would have predicted that Gwen would have married Harry and perhaps done some work at Oscorp as a nod to both her 616 counterpart and the movies. And given that Peter pursued journalism as opposed to a career in science, he'd likely know Gwen about as well as he knew Harry.
    And this is assuming we even see Gwen at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Giving Ben the job that Robbie usually has at the Bugle is a super interesting idea. Robbie is usually presented as a father figure in Peter's life. What if Peter's (adoptive) dad had that job?

It should also be noted that this comic outright states that Peter didn't come to live with Uncle Ben and Aunt May until he was 15 years old. That is VERY different from the usual Spider-Man narrative.

But Ben Parker brings out the best in people. And we see that in his relationship with Jonah.

This comic says more about Uncle Ben than any Spider-Man comic has in a long time.

(I do hope Robbie gets to do something in the future. Kinda feels like he got the short end of the stick here.)
    I was about to say Ben got bumped up at Robbie's expense, which is a bummer. Especially knowing how great a duo Jonah and Robbie are and we barely see any of that.

Though I do feel like this is a very Hickman Uncle Ben.

I can't praise this issue enough. Really looking forward to the next.

Fantastic Member

I thought the focus on Ben and JJJ was one of the highlights of the books. I don't mind at all Ben and JJJ having a friendship and comradrie. But it's also far too soon to be writing off Robbie. He's always been more practical and pragmatic. I can absolutely see him having a moment where staying with the Bugle affords him the opportunity to make a big impact on the story of USM.

JJJ does seem like a candidate for a death but I am hoping Hickman doesn't go for it. It's so obvious and imo boring and very reminicisent of killing Ben Urich in Netflix Daredevil, a great moment that unfortunately deprived the show of a character whose absence was sorely felt (and not in the oh we're sad he's dead way).

I don't think the series at all needs a Ben-esque death. It's all in the execution but I would prefer if this Peter has been imparted these lessons because he's spent a lifetime with Uncle Ben and not only has been raised by him as a child to a man but mentored and guided by both Ben and May as a man. He doesn't need a big dramatic death or moment to learn about responsibility because he's had a lifetime of guidance and parentage. He's had the situation explained to him clearly, it's not a joyride. It's not a chance at celebrity. He doesn't need to find a way to cash in on being Spider-Man. He's seemingly accepted this fate knowing the circumstances and knowing that he will be called upon by Tony in the near future. I think there's more than enough storytelling meat there that having someone get killed so Peter can learn a lesson doesn't sound particularly interesting on paper.

We'll see how it plays out but I hope Hickman doesn't go the obvious route here. This is a new world with plenty of new opportunities to have Peter come to terms with the cost of being a hero in ways more original and interesting than killing off a main cast member for the drama.

And frankly the last thing Spider-Man needs is another book where it's Peter Parker having trauma after trauma heaped on him to the point where you just want to tell the guy to quit because it's not worth it. The real interesting and original thing to do is not just kill a different character but find a way to tell the story without that moment.
    Last edited by Coop; 01-10-2024 at 11:32 PM.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I thought the focus on Ben and JJJ was one of the highlights of the books. I don't mind at all Ben and JJJ having a friendship and comradrie. But it's also far too soon to be writing off Robbie. He's always been more practical and pragmatic. I can absolutely see him having a moment where staying with the Bugle affords him the opportunity to make a big impact on the story of USM.

JJJ does seem like a candidate for a death but I am hoping Hickman doesn't go for it. It's so obvious and imo boring and very reminicisent of killing Ben Urich in Netflix Daredevil, a great moment that unfortunately deprived the show of a character whose absence was sorely felt (and not in the oh we're sad he's dead way).

I don't think the series at all needs a Ben-esque death. It's all in the execution but I would prefer if this Peter has been imparted these lessons because he's spent a lifetime with Uncle Ben and not only has been raised by him as a child to a man but mentored and guided by both Ben and May as a man. He doesn't need a big dramatic death or moment to learn about responsibility because he's had a lifetime of guidance and parentage. He's had the situation explained to him clearly, it's not a joyride. It's not a chance at celebrity. He doesn't need to find a way to cash in on being Spider-Man. He's seemingly accepted this fate knowing the circumstances and knowing that he will be called upon by Tony in the near future. I think there's more than enough storytelling meat there that having someone get killed so Peter can learn a lesson doesn't sound particularly interesting on paper.

We'll see how it plays out but I hope Hickman doesn't go the obvious route here. This is a new world with plenty of new opportunities to have Peter come to terms with the cost of being a hero in ways more original and interesting than killing off a main cast member for the drama.

And frankly the last thing Spider-Man needs is another book where it's Peter Parker having trauma after trauma heaped on him to the point where you just want to tell the guy to quit because it's not worth it. The real interesting and original thing to do is not just kill a different character but find a way to tell the story without that moment.
    Funny enough, the reason I think Jonah's possibly going to die isn't because I think it needs to happen in order to serve as some sort of lesson for Peter in how to be a better Spider-Man a la the typical Uncle Ben origin story.

If Jonah gets killed, I actually think it'll be something that results in a character arc for Uncle Ben. Instead, I think Peter will end up having to work hard to help save his uncle from making terrible mistakes in the wake of losing his best friend and longtime work partner shortly after having also lost his wife of many years. I think it's telling that Ben noted in this issue that a flaw of his has always been his struggles in coming clean with his emotions and opening up to discuss them properly with family and friends, instead preferring to internalize all of that. In addition, Jonah and Ben's talk about journalism and the truth at the Bar with No Name suggests to me that Ben has something of a slightly more idealistic view of the world compared to Jonah. If Jonah dies, I would imagine this would set Ben down a bit of a dangerous path.

I'm disappointed about Robbie being a weak willed loser, but then I remember that this is Hickman.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Absolutely loved this issue, can’t wait to see how this new version of Peter progresses to become Spidey spoilers:
    love all the changes that were made such as Ben still being alive, Peter seemed a lot more timid and mild-mannered than his mainstream counterpart at this point so I’m curious to see how he grows more confident, also loved JJJ, feels like the first adaptation in a while true to his character and not just a flanderized parody. Also cool to see how Harry has no prior history with Peter much how like 616 Pete didn’t meet Harry until college.
    end of spoilers So excited for this book

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Part 2:

Some of the best scenes are between Ben, Jonah and Pete, establishing their close relationship...this time round Ben‘s presence is not just as a memory, he's brought Peter up, with and more recently without May following her death...so, this time we have a stronger masculine care perspective it seems..

MJ is still the beautiful, understanding woman in Peter's life though, she knows he's going to do what he does at end of issue ("get ‘em tiger")...

Tony Stark appears ( in holographic form) after the "sphere" is activated, Tells Pete he should have powers and gives him the radioactive spider (looks like a black widow, ouch!)....note: what happens to that spider afterwards....hmm

3 things stick out to me:

Need more on why Tony is powering up Pete, and others, unknown yet..

I don‘t "buy" this Pete having a feeling he was meant for something else, and the answer is spider powers, that's going to take some explaining...he's 35 already, he has a lovely family, a job...why isn't that enough for him? What's his motivation to be a Spider-Man hero..?

One disappointment was, with Pete having a lovely family, with two lovely kids..it seems he‘s not the best of loving fathers, to me..he's unnaturally depressed or too busy with work..all his interactions with the kids in this issue were "gotta go, bye kids"! We're yet to see him engage lovingly with the kids, with MJ yes, but not the kids, who clearly love him though..
    I believe the reason Peter has this cloud over him for most of the issue is because he’s thinking over the orb Tony gave him in the flashback, he’s thinking if it’s truly the decision he wants to make that will change his life forever, Tony is probably putting together all the heroes of 6160 who had their destinies stolen from them to either help defeat The Maker once he is free again, and take down the corrupt government that runs the world.Its so interesting thinking in another world we would have gotten Donny Cates supposed continuation of the original Ultimate Universe, but I’m also really loving where this is going so far

Also just realized this but when Ben tells Peter to wake up which is shown twice along with MJ saying go get em tiger, I think it might be a reference to the beginning of Amazing Fantasy 15 where Ben tells Peter to wake up, the page is maybe like flashing these new versions of iconic moments from 616 before Peter makes the choice to become who he was meant to be. Ben’s first ever line was telling Peter to wake up, and MJs first line (in her first real appearance) was her jackpot/tiger line. Idk may be a bit of a reach lol

So... why is Peter still working at the Bugle?

This issue was... fine. Nothing too bad nothing too good.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    So... why is Peter still working at the Bugle?

This issue was... fine. Nothing too bad nothing too good.
    Most likely since Ben still works there, he’s most likely a journalist or maybe part of the science section like 616 Pete was for a while, side note because also there seems to be this conception that since Peter is a genius he should automatically be rich and successful which is not how it works in real life, there are tons of undiscovered geniuses among us that will never be known because they weren’t wealthy or come from a rich family. For example Elon Musk presents himself as a real life Tony Stark, but in reality he’s a big baby dumbass manchild, he doesn’t invent anything, he just takes credit for it and strokes his ego on social media.