Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Ultimate Spider-Man #1 talk.

Thought the first issue of Ultimate Spider-Man deserved a thread of its own at least. If not, apologies to the staff here. This was my most anticipated comic book in a long time. Had to keep my expectations in check and this delivered. Thank you, Jonathan Hickman and Marco Checchetto. It's so good to have a current day Spider-Man book to look forward to as I hate Zeb Wells run on TASM. Can't wait till Ultimate Spider-Man #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Thought the first issue of Ultimate Spider-Man deserved a thread of its own at least. If not, apologies to the staff here. This was my most anticipated comic book in a long time. Had to keep my expectations in check and this delivered. Thank you, Jonathan Hickman and Marco Checchetto. It's so good to have a current day Spider-Man book to look forward to as I hate Zeb Wells run on TASM. Can't wait till Ultimate Spider-Man #2.
    Quite a start. Really enjoyable. The next issue cannot come out quick enough. Truly a fresh, interesting start for the character, but more importantly, it felt like the first time in years I was reading a Spider-Man book.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

It's 4pm here in London, so I've lapped it up!

No spoilers, but just to say, it's fkg brilliant!

You will love it!

What an interesting, different world playing out...

Plenty to talk about, but let's all catch up yet..

Just one small thing, I want to see more interaction of Peter and his children...more later..

Enjoy...

Ultimate Member

I thought this was ok.

It was mostly set-up and it's already clear this Spider-man is going to be very, very different from what we are used to.

This being said, I had my fears around a Hickman written Spider-man book and some of the fears were justified. Hickman is generally concerned with the high-concept and sometimes (not always) characters and characterization falls by the wayside.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next issue and see where all this goes.

Incredible Member

The most enjoyable Spider-man comic I have read in years.

Hickman really knows how to write. He foresees the question of "Why is Peter working there" that a reader has, and then immediately provides the unexpected but still logical answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I thought this was ok.

It was mostly set-up and it's already clear this Spider-man is going to be very, very different from what we are used to.

This being said, I had my fears around a Hickman written Spider-man book and some of the fears were justified. Hickman is generally concerned with the high-concept and sometimes (not always) characters and characterization falls by the wayside.

Echoing what I wrote in the preview thread.

His MJ was fine. She behaves like I expected her to, she just lacks something in her dialogue. When it veers from big speeches and we get the smaller moments, where just one word in the right place makes all the difference, there it falters. It’s stilted. In a sense a little hollow even.

The others are, well male to start with, but more full of big ideals or big ideas. Hickman writes these types really good, we know that. In that sense a more emotionally open Ben would have been interesting. More of a challenge for Hickman.

Still good. Mostly what I expected. Hope issue 2 gives us more Peter&Family and some Spider-man action.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Quite a start. Really enjoyable. The next issue cannot come out quick enough. Truly a fresh, interesting start for the character, but more importantly, it felt like the first time in years I was reading a Spider-Man book.
    In full agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    It's 4pm here in London, so I've lapped it up!

No spoilers, but just to say, it's fkg brilliant!

You will love it!

What an interesting, different world playing out...

Plenty to talk about, but let's all catch up yet..

Just one small thing, I want to see more interaction of Peter and his children...more later..

Enjoy...
    Hey fellow poster from England. Yorkshire lad here. Agree with you too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    The most enjoyable Spider-man comic I have read in years.

Hickman really knows how to write. He foresees the question of "Why is Peter working there" that a reader has, and then immediately provides the unexpected but still logical answer.
    First I've felt that way since Nick Spencer when his TASM run was at it's best. Jonathan Hickman is a great writer, Secret Wars (2015) is one of the best events ever and Marco Checchetto is a great artist.

In full agreement.

Hey fellow poster from England. Yorkshire lad here. Agree with you too.
    Hey "BB", hello mate, just curious, which bit of Yorks u at/from?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I thought this was ok.

Hey "Username", mentioning issue is set up suggests you're waiting for something to happen, but, it is what it is..it's a different world happening right there in issue 1...watch it unfold, and just go with the flow mate..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Hey "BB", hello mate, just curious, which bit of Yorks u at/from?
    West Yorkshire, pal.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So I liken this to being a more affectionate take on a midlife crisis allegory. Peter being a family man with a loving family and a stable job but still finding himself restless in his current situation. Kind of weird seeing Uncle Ben straight up usurping Robbie's role in the Bugle and friendship with Jonah.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

West Yorkshire, pal.
    Nice..cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    So I liken this to being a more affectionate take on a midlife crisis allegory. Peter being a family man with a loving family and a stable job but still finding himself restless in his current situation. Kind of weird seeing Uncle Ben straight up usurping Robbie's role in the Bugle and friendship with Jonah.
    Ben's not usurping Robbie's role/friendship with Jonah, 'cause it's not clear what his role/ relationship is, it's just different here...I do feel sorry for Robbie, the position he ended up with, what he's been landed with...something to play out yet...

Reposting my thoughts here

spoilers:
    I loved this first issue, and I found it funny how it avoids putting Peter in the costume just like the original USM did. Speaking of the costume it looks like it can morph appearance which explains the variant covers. But more than that I love the status quo Hickman has Peter in with Ben being alive (called it!) and May being dead this time around. Ben’s characterization here is great, he’s principled but kinda prickly, you can see now where a “normal” Peter gets his attitude. Jonah and Ben being friends is perfect, love that bit, Peter working at the Bugle as a journalist is interesting. Hickman wastes no time in setting up Peter’s first two foes, Kingpin and the Green Goblin. I’m surprised Hickman went with Peter and Harry not having a history here, but I think the intent is that they will begin as heroic partners and over the course of the run their partnership will devolve.

MJ + the kids are cute, we don’t get too much of them yet but it’s definitely reminiscent of Franklin and Val. MJ is running her own business which explains why they can afford that apartment at least. I really wanna dig into this Peter’s history because it intrigues me, but one thing that really interested me: they don’t say the iconic mantra once. Is Hickman saving it for another big moment or will this Peter have a different mantra? Good first issue, glad to be reading Spidey again.
    end of spoilers
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/