Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Even though I have 4 variants coming in the mail I ran out and bought three more this afternoon when the closest store opened.

The art was so good. It really brought the characters and vibe of this new universe to life. Everything is so detailed and lived in. The characters are expressive. Home run.

I thought this was tremendous and the most exciting and interesting and emotional issue of a Spider-Man comic I have read in years.

I loved all the attention on the Bugle and the characters working there. I thought the ending speech was fantastic. I loved the peak at who this Peter is and how he feels.

This was a fantastic laying of the groundwork for what looks to be an extremely enjoyable ride.

I have long contended that Hickman would be the ideal person to ride Spider-Man. And this first is you has me even more set in that opinion. I think he does incredible work with characters despite his reputation for high concept and I can't wait to learn more and see these new iterations of the characters grow. While he's definitely a concept person across all of his runs I have felt that those concepts are held up by the skeleton of incredibly rich and interesting and complicated characters whose arcs are a joy to follow.

Everything about this issue felt additive to the mythos of Spider-Man to the characterization and to comic books in general. This doesn't feel destructive, petty, or spiteful.

I'm sure there will be more twists and drama to come but this foundational issue was fantastic and I think a great mission statement
    Last edited by Coop; 01-10-2024 at 10:38 AM.

As far as setup issues go, this was one of the best I've ever read. One thing confuses me though. Was MJ totally aware of the change Peter was talking about? If so I wonder how Peter explained it to her.

P: MJ you can't believe what just happened! You remember that terrorist Tony Stark who killed a lot of people? Apparently he was framed by this super secret group whose leader traveled through time to erase superheroes from existence. He captured this spider here which was supposed to bite me and give me superpowers years ago.

MJ: ....... that's great Tiger. Now please come to bed, it's 2 am.

Honestly it just does the heart good to see Peter Parker not only married with MJ but written as a fully-fledged adult. Not trying too hard to write him as a "young and hip" 20-something but an honest to goodness man with a life.

Though Chechetto MJ makes it even more worth it. And Hickman seems to have a surprisingly good handle on her voice. I wonder what business she's running is?

That's one distinction from 616 that Peter's parents died when he was 15 so he was with them longer and May and Ben didn't raise him as early as they usually do. I mean, it doesn't change much but I guess it explains why Peter's son is named after his dad.

It's surreal seeing Peter working at the Bugle (however long that lasts). Most adaptions or takes these days eschew him being at the Bugle in favor of a science job or teaching, but now he's a reporter. It's actually kind of nice. Though now that I think about it, I wonder if this Peter is less of an outright scientist? He's obviously smart and worldly, and passed that on to Richard, but I wonder if he's not the science wiz he would've been had he not gone on with Liz and gotten bit by the Spider.

It's funny how there are now two continuities with Father Matt Murdock.

Redhead Harry without cornrows looks weird to me. Also I guess he's going Punisher-like as the Goblin to kill the people he feels were involved in his parents' death or to clean up the city. It makes me wonder whether he's hiding what his dad (Norman) really did to him. You can never know a rich industrialist...

Ben being alive and being at the Bugle is interesting. It made me think of "nice" Dexter Bennett from Brand New Day, and he seems to be also playing a Captain Stacy like role in Peter's life.

Jonah has become Robbie and Robbie has become...a board member. And Kingpin is also on the DB board. I wonder if Peter will stick around there to keep an eye on things or join up with Jonah and Ben. They make a fun duo.

That's an interesting rendition of the "Great Power" phrase.

I still can't believe Hickman is doing Teen Tony.

So Peter has always felt something was missing in his life or did it all click when Tony told him the truth? Maybe he's having a mid-life crisis and thinks being a Superhero will resolve it? Like he needs that fulfillment? Is there something he's unsatisfied with about the world? It'll be interesting to see what's driving him as Spider-Man. But at least MJ knows from the get-go "Go Get 'Em Tiger" indeed.

This was so damn good.

So. Damn. Good.

Extraordinary Member

I won’t get my copy until Saturday, but I’m hearing great reviews.

Fantastic Member

Also, totally called it that the contents of the sphere were from Tony

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Can't wait to tell all, and give thoughts....but holding off a few hours yet...

This issue was great and for the first time in a very long day I felt excited after reading a Spider-Man comic.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly it just does the heart good to see Peter Parker not only married with MJ but written as a fully-fledged adult. Not trying too hard to write him as a "young and hip" 20-something but an honest to goodness man with a life.

Though Chechetto MJ makes it even more worth it. And Hickman seems to have a surprisingly good handle on her voice. I wonder what business she's running is?

That's one distinction from 616 that Peter's parents died when he was 15 so he was with them longer and May and Ben didn't raise him as early as they usually do. I mean, it doesn't change much but I guess it explains why Peter's son is named after his dad.

It's surreal seeing Peter working at the Bugle (however long that lasts). Most adaptions or takes these days eschew him being at the Bugle in favor of a science job or teaching, but now he's a reporter. It's actually kind of nice. Though now that I think about it, I wonder if this Peter is less of an outright scientist? He's obviously smart and worldly, and passed that on to Richard, but I wonder if he's not the science wiz he would've been had he not gone on with Liz and gotten bit by the Spider.

It's funny how there are now two continuities with Father Matt Murdock.

Redhead Harry without cornrows looks weird to me. Also I guess he's going Punisher-like as the Goblin to kill the people he feels were involved in his parents' death or to clean up the city. It makes me wonder whether he's hiding what his dad (Norman) really did to him. You can never know a rich industrialist...

Ben being alive and being at the Bugle is interesting. It made me think of "nice" Dexter Bennett from Brand New Day, and he seems to be also playing a Captain Stacy like role in Peter's life.

Jonah has become Robbie and Robbie has become...a board member. And Kingpin is also on the DB board. I wonder if Peter will stick around there to keep an eye on things or join up with Jonah and Ben. They make a fun duo.

That's an interesting rendition of the "Great Power" phrase.

I still can't believe Hickman is doing Teen Tony.

So Peter has always felt something was missing in his life or did it all click when Tony told him the truth? Maybe he's having a mid-life crisis and thinks being a Superhero will resolve it? Like he needs that fulfillment? Is there something he's unsatisfied with about the world? It'll be interesting to see what's driving him as Spider-Man. But at least MJ knows from the get-go "Go Get 'Em Tiger" indeed.
    He said he'd always felt like something was wrong with his life and with himself and MJ commented that he'd always had a cloud over him and had never been satisfied with who he was, so I guess he always felt that way.

One of the most stunning things in this issue...was Jonah actually being nice to Peter!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Every now and again there’s a comic I pick up and it’s just…special. You know there’s something to it that’s different from the others.

I got this feeling from the first issue of The Immortal Hulk. House of X. Hawkeye.

This is one of those issues.

It’s nice reading Hickman with a smaller-scale story. It’s full of heart. I really loved this issue. If it continues with this, I see it being on “best of decade” lists.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Every now and again there’s a comic I pick up and it’s just…special. You know there’s something to it that’s different from the others.

I got this feeling from the first issue of The Immortal Hulk. House of X. Hawkeye.

This is one of those issues.

It’s nice reading Hickman with a smaller-scale story. It’s full of heart. I really loved this issue. If it continues with this, I see it being on “best of decade” lists.
    Completely agreed. I don't read as many comics as often as most folks here probably do, but it's been years since I read a comic issue that I loved and was so impressed by right off the cuff as I am with this issue.

It's almost entirely just "a day in the life of Peter Parker" with very little in the way of your typical superhero shenanigans or action, but I did not care in the slightest. Hickman won me over fast with this book and these new incarnations of the broader cast of the Spider-Man world that we'll be following from here on out in the book. And despite all of the drastic and significant changes to the typical Spidey status quo and lore, this issue feels a lot like coming home to see an old friend.

The voices all read right to me. Peter and Mary Jane feel like Peter and Mary Jane to me. Harry Osborn feels like Harry Osborn. Kingpin is spot on and I love that Hickman's fleshing out You-Know-Who in the way that he is and how instantly he feels more three dimensional a character for it. And above all else, this is immediately my new favorite version of J Jonah Jameson ever. That man has my tie and sword for life.

A really well-done first issue. A really well-done introduction to this Spider-Man. This book could end up being just as special as people were hoping it would be.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I haven't been feeling this kind of emotions about Spider-Man comics for a long time. Amazing start.

Excited to see where this goes.