Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    Most likely since Ben still works there, he’s most likely a journalist or maybe part of the science section like 616 Pete was for a while, side note because also there seems to be this conception that since Peter is a genius he should automatically be rich and successful which is not how it works in real life, there are tons of undiscovered geniuses among us that will never be known because they weren’t wealthy or come from a rich family. For example Elon Musk presents himself as a real life Tony Stark, but in reality he’s a big baby dumbass manchild, he doesn’t invent anything, he just takes credit for it and strokes his ego on social media.
    I hate this argument. That isn't the only kind of realism.

Also, what the hell is up with this assumption that whoever asks for Peter not working at the Bugle wants him to be rich?! No, we just want him to be successful in the science field. This apparent "there are genius people working as janitors" missis the point that they are just as much of exceptions as "the kid who was millionaire at 21".

Most people who are as much academically brilliant as Peter would have above average decent earning jobs.

For an establishing issue, it's not good if it can't even tell us why Peter is still working at Bugle or even his designation. We shouldn't have to make assumptions.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

Also, what the hell is up with this assumption that whoever asks for Peter not working at the Bugle wants him to be rich?! No, we just want him to be successful in the science field. This apparent "there are genius people working as janitors" missis the point that they are just as much of exceptions as "the kid who was millionaire at 21".

Most people who are as much academically brilliant as Peter would have above average decent earning jobs.

For an establishing issue, it's not good if it can't even tell us why Peter is still working at Bugle or even his designation. We shouldn't have to make assumptions.
    That is also true, maybe the Bugle setting is just to set up some familiarity before Peter may leave for a new job, because of the new management. We might be building to what his main job will actually be, he may also keep working at the bugle so he can keep an eye on what’s happening.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

As I posted in the other topic : loved this first issue way too much.

I wonder if Harry is The Green Goblin, or if it’s Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    That is also true, maybe the Bugle setting is just to set up some familiarity before Peter may leave for a new job, because of the new management. We might be building to what his main job will actually be, he may also keep working at the bugle so he can keep an eye on what’s happening.
    That still doesn't explain why did he work for Bugle all this time.

Astonishing Member

Read this issue yesterday and again today. Love it.

I wonder if they will pull a plot twist regarding Green Goblin's identity and won't have him be Harry Osborn.

It was said that this Peter is partially based on Peter B Parker. So far, 6160 Peter does not have much similarities with that version of the character besides both being middle aged family men.

So... why is Peter still working at the Bugle?

This issue was... fine. Nothing too bad nothing too good.
    Because it's our introduction to J. Jonah Jameson in the narrative and his friendship with Uncle Ben before they go off and start their own business. To give Peter a goal of some kind in his personal life (to leave the Bugle and work for whatever Ben and Jonah establish). And to give Peter quick access to information so he can go out there and be Spider-Man when people need him instead of just happening upon disasters as they occur. The Daily Bugle is an iconic part of Spider-Man so it's easy enough to justify it being around.

As for how Peter ended up there? Look at how old Richard is. He looks to be around 10-12 or so. Meaning Peter and MJ more than likely married young and needed money. Since Ben had such a high-ranking position in the Bugle, he probably got Peter a job so he could support his growing family.

Someone pointed out that this version of Peter might not be as much of a scientific genius as his regular counterpart, since he couldn't understand a word from Tony Stark's technobabble.

This reality was still not the exact same as the 616 universe prior to Maker's intervention. This Peter lost his parents at 15 instead of much younger, for example.

It was always a bit incongruent that Peter is supposed to be an everyman while at the same time being one of the smartest people on Earth.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 01-11-2024 at 05:21 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Because it's our introduction to J. Jonah Jameson in the narrative and his friendship with Uncle Ben before they go off and start their own business. To give Peter a goal of some kind in his personal life (to leave the Bugle and work for whatever Ben and Jonah establish). And to give Peter quick access to information so he can go out there and be Spider-Man when people need him instead of just happening upon disasters as they occur. The Daily Bugle is an iconic part of Spider-Man so it's easy enough to justify it being around.

As for how Peter ended up there? Look at how old Richard is. He looks to be around 10-12 or so. Meaning Peter and MJ more than likely married young and needed money. Since Ben had such a high-ranking position in the Bugle, he probably got Peter a job so he could support his growing family.
    Something I also feel is important here is that Peter could just be more interested in journalism because someone he idolized was prominently in the news business. The timeline also lines up a bit. Peter joined the bugle in 616 when he was 15-16. In this universe, his parents died when he was 15. It's altogether possible that Uncle Ben had Peter doing grunt work around the Bugle in that first year or so in order to pull him out of his shell. And Peter enjoyed it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this new Ultimate Spider-Man. It was certainly well written, and Peter Parker with a family is an interesting take...but as someone who really enjoyed the Ultimate Universe I just can't really shake the meaning of that word as it pertains to comics. Ultimate was meant to be a fresh start for new readers to jump on without having to know about or care about the continuity baggage that had built up since the character's inception, it was meant to be a distillation of everything that made the character great but put into a new direction...and this book isn't that.

For this book to really hit you have to know just how different it is from what came before, and on top of that the whole Maker plot is a direct continuation of the continuity that was spawned by the old Ultimate Universe. So it's not really new reader friendly and despite a serious change in the status quo of continuity it isn't actually free from previous continuity.

At the end of the day it's an interesting coda to the Ultimate Universe for someone who loved that continuity, but it's not something that lives up to the Ultimate name in my eyes. I plan on reading at least the next issue to see how things shake out as this was a lot of set up, but for me it doesn't really capture the magic of the old Ultimate Universe.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Couple of things..

Ben is no longer at the Bugle, he and Jonah walked out and are cooking up a new venture...cue more to be seen of Robbie, and his interactions with Peter...Peter is still at Bugle coz he needs the money/job, he's got a family to support..

About Jonah being killed..no thanks, I'm with Coop, no one needs to die, that's an old Spidey trope and we have totally different Spidey...he's learned to live already with his aunt being dead.....we need plenty of supporting cast/characters (and alive), that's what's been missing over at ASM....

I get now, from comments that Peter's sleeplessness etc was because of the sphere/spider powers decision...he's been under some pressure right now, so I was perhaps a bit harsh earlier talking about his father/kids relationship...

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    As I posted in the other topic : loved this first issue way too much.

I wonder if Harry is The Green Goblin, or if it’s Ben.
    Holy cow I hadn’t considered that. Would be a cool twist.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

What's great about this Ultimate is we have a clean Spidey slate, it can all be so different...we have a 35 year gap already:

We don't know how Peter's parents died...mystery..?

How will he adjust, he's chosen to be bitten, no accident to have to just live with..

How will this affect his family, their relationship..or being Spidey issues if protecting his family?

Is the spider dead, or will he share the bite "powers" with the family...?

So many possibilities, so much to unfold yet...we need to not expect, just hopefully enjoy it as it comes, each revelation..

I really sort of feel this is like a new beginning, a feeling like I/we had all those years ago when we first picked up Spidey...

We don't know the detail of Peter's life growing up, what was school/education like? Was he brainy, a "nerd"...unpopular/popular..was he a "jock"..

How did he meet MJ, what brought them together?

What makes the 35 Yr old man?

Why has he decided to take the spider bite?

What will his powers be/ the effect of the bite, any powers don't have to be like we know of 616 Spidey...what if he's a monster, has fangs (like Bailey)..?

Fantastic Member

I honestly prefer Peter at the Bugle or as a high school teacher than having a lab job.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moxxi517 View Post
    Something I also feel is important here is that Peter could just be more interested in journalism because someone he idolized was prominently in the news business. The timeline also lines up a bit. Peter joined the bugle in 616 when he was 15-16. In this universe, his parents died when he was 15. It's altogether possible that Uncle Ben had Peter doing grunt work around the Bugle in that first year or so in order to pull him out of his shell. And Peter enjoyed it.
    This is my theory as well. It's believable to me that Peter wanted to emulate Uncle Ben and began working there as a teenager. Unlike his experience in 616 where taking photos of Spidey was just a job to help cover the bills, perhaps he was actually given more meaningful work to do in a far more nurturing environment with two father figures between Ben and JJJ.

That and perhaps he also isn't as brilliant as he's been depicted in the 616-verse. I'm hoping future issues flesh out this Peter's past.