Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

My last comment is a bit mixed up, paragraphs out of place, don't know why..hope it still make some reading sense..

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    At the end of the day it's an interesting coda to the Ultimate Universe for someone who loved that continuity, but it's not something that lives up to the Ultimate name in my eyes. I plan on reading at least the next issue to see how things shake out as this was a lot of set up, but for me it doesn't really capture the magic of the old Ultimate Universe.
    I would at least stick around for the 1st arc, which will probably be told in 4, 5 or 6 issues, to see how things progress.

Interesting that the second issue release is Feb 21 and the third issue is Mar 27. Feels like they may already be falling behind production-wise.

I remember several Ultimate titles where you had to wait several months between issues!

If that happens here, it will not be good.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I would at least stick around for the 1st arc, which will probably be told in 4, 5 or 6 issues, to see how things progress.

Interesting that the second issue release is Feb 21 and the third issue is Mar 27. Feels like they may already be falling behind production-wise.

I remember several Ultimate titles where you had to wait several months between issues!

If that happens here, it will not be good.
    Fourth issue is April 24, but I don't think it's a matter of them falling behind on production. I think the idea is that each new launch issue of the new Ultimate books come out early into the month and then shift over to a different week of the month every issue after that, considering that Ultimate Black Panther comes out February 7 and Ultimate X-Men comes out March 6.

Spectacular Member

I just can't get over how much I enjoyed this book. How it presents a radically different setting and still feels 100% Spider-Man. Everything is different but Peter reads like THE Peter Parker and MJ reads like THE Mary Jane Watson in a way they haven't on 616 continuity since what feels like forever. My only concern is that writing grown women is Hickman's weak spot, so I really hope he understands how utterly fundamental MJ is for a good Spidey book.

Also, I do wonder if I had enjoyed this book as much as I did if ASM hadn't been the Chernobyl of misery, rage bait and creative callousness it has been for about two years now. But I have read enough comics to properly identify top-notch when I see it, and this is 100% Hickman top-notch so far. A certain editor should REALLY be taking notes here.
    Last edited by fjmac; 01-11-2024 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fjmac View Post
    I just can't get over how much I enjoyed this book. How it presents a radically different setting and still feels 100% Spider-Man. Everything is different but Peter reads like THE Peter Parker and MJ reads like THE Mary Jane Watson in a way they haven't on 616 continuity since what feels like forever. My only concern is that writing grown women is Hickman's weak spot, so I really hope he understands how utterly fundamental MJ is for a good Spidey book.

Also, I do wonder if I had enjoyed this book as much as I did if ASM hadn't been the Chernobyl of misery, rage bait and creative callousness it has been for about two years now. But I have read enough comics to properly identify top-notch when I see it, and this is 100% Hickman top-notch so far. A certain editor should REALLY be taking notes here.
    I’m sure there are a lot of people who love this book because it’s not ASM. It’s definitely intentional from Marvel from the marketing to what we have here. I hope it does gangbusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If Peter wins his first fight as Spidey (without help) I will call it the best Spider-Man book we've had in years .
    Peter winning his first fight with a bad guy doesn't feel very Spider-Man to me. Same as a Peter with no around him dying (that's a hint for those wishing this a Peter without the grief).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, board member Robbie and separating him from Jonah will always feel wrong.
    I felt a very visceral reaction initially when reading it, as I'm sure we were meant to but its a new universe and definitely feels different right.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    This is my theory as well. It's believable to me that Peter wanted to emulate Uncle Ben and began working there as a teenager. Unlike his experience in 616 where taking photos of Spidey was just a job to help cover the bills, perhaps he was actually given more meaningful work to do in a far more nurturing environment with two father figures between Ben and JJJ.

That and perhaps he also isn't as brilliant as he's been depicted in the 616-verse. I'm hoping future issues flesh out this Peter's past.
    Wasn't the crux of the change in this universe was Peter going out with Liz instead of going to the lab and getting bit by the spider? That might've been a turning point of him eschewing science.
    Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Peter winning his first fight with a bad guy doesn't feel very Spider-Man to me. Same as a Peter with no around him dying (that's a hint for those wishing this a Peter without the grief).
    Peter not winning fights at all doesn't feel very Spider-Man to me either, so I hope that's not what we're getting here.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this new Ultimate Spider-Man. It was certainly well written, and Peter Parker with a family is an interesting take...but as someone who really enjoyed the Ultimate Universe I just can't really shake the meaning of that word as it pertains to comics. Ultimate was meant to be a fresh start for new readers to jump on without having to know about or care about the continuity baggage that had built up since the character's inception, it was meant to be a distillation of everything that made the character great but put into a new direction...and this book isn't that.

For this book to really hit you have to know just how different it is from what came before, and on top of that the whole Maker plot is a direct continuation of the continuity that was spawned by the old Ultimate Universe. So it's not really new reader friendly and despite a serious change in the status quo of continuity it isn't actually free from previous continuity.

At the end of the day it's an interesting coda to the Ultimate Universe for someone who loved that continuity, but it's not something that lives up to the Ultimate name in my eyes. I plan on reading at least the next issue to see how things shake out as this was a lot of set up, but for me it doesn't really capture the magic of the old Ultimate Universe.
    I had an issue with the bolded as well.

The story flowed directly out of Ultimate Invasion (particularly the origin), it didn't feel like the fresh start I expected.

spoilers:
    Peter's suit and irradiated spider were literally handed to him by Teen Tony and given the inscription on the Goblin suit that read something like "Osborn/Stark", I won't be surprised if the story still ties into whatever larger Ultimate story Hickman wants to tell here. I don't want sound too down on Hickman but my experience with his Marvel work is the "concept" trumps everything and said concept almost always leads to a larger event and then conclusion. Also, since Peter is a genius, I would have expected him to be better employed, not necessarily a rich inventor but more like a successful non-douche tech bro.
    end of spoilers

I'm definitely going to stick with this because the set-up is truly interesting but I'm still a little on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

The story flowed directly out of Ultimate Invasion (particularly the origin), it didn't feel like the fresh start I expected.

spoilers:
    Peter's suit and irradiated spider were literally handed to him by Teen Tony and given the inscription on the Goblin suit that read something like "Osborn/Stark", I won't be surprised if the story still ties into whatever larger Ultimate story Hickman wants to tell here. I don't want sound too down on Hickman but my experience with his Marvel work is the "concept" trumps everything and said concept almost always leads to a larger event and then conclusion. Also, since Peter is a genius, I would have expected him to be better employed, not necessarily a rich inventor but more like a successful non-douche tech bro.
    end of spoilers

I'm definitely going to stick with this because the set-up is truly interesting but I'm still a little on the fence.
    Personally I have no interest in the larger plot of Hickman's Ultimate Universe. I'd rather this just be as standalone as it possibly can.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I think this is a bit of an unfair expectation. Peter is a scientific genius in 616 but we don't know if he's a scientific genius here. People are more positive towards changes like a living Uncle Ben, Peter and Harry being total strangers, a less douchy JJJ so why is this a problem? By the way I'd love Peter to be a genius in a more Sherlock Holmes-ey way. A guy with an uncanny ability of observation and reasoning. It would go well with investigative journalism.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

I never really cared for super genius Peter so I'm cool with him being a reporter. I do agree with the size of Hickman's stories though, especially as I don't think I've really seen him stick the landing.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I really REALLY enjoyed this issue. It sets up a really interesting beginning for a new take on Peter. I'm not sure if spoiler tags are needed (as this is a discussion thread and they are annoying to use/read on mobile) but no one pointed out Fisk's #2 is Bullseye (I believe).

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I was surprised the end page got me the way it did - something largely credited to Chechetto's art, I'd wager. I liked the rest of the issue just fine, though, and it seemed like a very interesting AU to begin with.
    However, and people with much larger followings than "NotJudasTraveller" have already attested to, Hickman seems to excel at setups and beginnings but things kind of go off track somewhat early on the runs, so we'll see. Even before Hickman was off the X-books, people were already feeling like the arc was "just spinning its wheels" and I often felt the same way when I tried reading his other stuff.
    I'd definitely call it a strong beginning no less.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I was surprised the end page got me the way it did - something largely credited to Chechetto's art, I'd wager. I liked the rest of the issue just fine, though, and it seemed like a very interesting AU to begin with.
    However, and people with much larger followings than "NotJudasTraveller" have already attested to, Hickman seems to excel at setups and beginnings but things kind of go off track somewhat early on the runs, so we'll see. Even before Hickman was off the X-books, people were already feeling like the arc was "just spinning its wheels" and I often felt the same way when I tried reading his other stuff.
    I'd definitely call it a strong beginning no less.
    Is this a recent thing that people point out with Hickman? Cause other than his X-Men stuff which got extended due to editorial not Hickman I don't remember him going off track early in any of his other works. Secret Warriors was consistently good throughout, Fantastic Four and Future Foundation were incredible, his Avengers Epics into Secret Wars also hold up (could've used an arc or two less). Just curious to know what run of his people feel like he went off track. His Ultimate stuff?

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Think we've got to manage expectations here. The Ultimates line hasn't been about fresh new takes without the continuity since before the original UU ended. We shouldn't really treat this like Ultimate Spider-Man 2.0. It not and was never marketed as such. And really this should apply to whatever we feel about Peter. Outside of knowing he's a good person we shouldn't assume he's going to be just the like the Peter we know when this world is sooooo different from not just the regular MU, but the previous UU.