Default Richard B. Riddick (Chronicles of Riddick) vs River Tam (Firefly/Serenity)

Riddick has his Ulak blades. River is armed with a machete and an axe. Who wins?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

This is JUST from the Chronicles movie, right?

River's two big feats are fighting no-name normals in a bar-brawl, and killing a ton of Reavers who, while being savage and brutal, aren't superhuman (or Riddick). Now in fairness, during the bar-brawl, she one and two-shots normals, so she hits decently hard. She eats all of one punch in the face from a guy, so it's hard to judge her soak (at another time, Jayne one-shots her).

Riddick is a chunk more dangerous than anything River actually fought in Firefly/Serenity, and has a whole lot more combat feats.

As well, his feats place him as stronger and tougher than River.

I'm pretty okay with Riddick killing River after a fight, probably one where he gets cut up somewhat.

Mileage may vary, and I'm hoping for further information from people more familiar with the characters.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I thought the Reavers were super human or at least above a regular human.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I thought the Reavers were super human or at least above a regular human.
    I don't recall any instance of any of them demonstrating feats beyond being utterly savage, sadistic humans that terrify everyone (with good reason, nobody wants to be tortured to death and that is exactly what will happen if one is caught by them). I've checked around and there is no mention of any superhuman attributes, only that they are crazed, savage, without remorse, sadistic, etc.

If there are any showings for that, I'd love to see them.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I don't recall any instance of any of them demonstrating feats beyond being utterly savage, sadistic humans that terrify everyone (with good reason, nobody wants to be tortured to death and that is exactly what will happen if one is caught by them). I've checked around and there is no mention of any superhuman attributes, only that they are crazed, savage, without remorse, sadistic, etc.

If there are any showings for that, I'd love to see them.
    Do they appear in the comics?

No idea; but if they did, it's not primary canon and wouldn't really have a lot of impact on River fighting them in the movie.

Granted, if it's composite Serenity and such, then sure, if River fights Reavers in the comics and they're superhuman in the comics, that's worth something.

...but then let's be fair and make it composite Riddick, who punches through armored mech systems (the video game), kicks people such that they fly 10' through the air (comics), etc, etc. Composite Riddick is going to get ridiculous, is what I'm saying.
    Why are we here?

Chronicles Riddick has like an energy blast too right? His D&D racial trait of being Furyan kicking in randomly or something?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

No idea; but if they did, it's not primary canon and wouldn't really have a lot of impact on River fighting them in the movie.

Granted, if it's composite Serenity and such, then sure, if River fights Reavers in the comics and they're superhuman in the comics, that's worth something.

...but then let's be fair and make it composite Riddick, who punches through armored mech systems (the video game), kicks people such that they fly 10' through the air (comics), etc, etc. Composite Riddick is going to get ridiculous, is what I'm saying.
    I thought it was just 1 canon? Because Firefly/Serenity is pretty much dead.

I thought it was just 1 canon? Because Firefly/Serenity is pretty much dead.
    Rumbles is pretty picky about that.

You could argue that it is Canon; certainly the shows creator seems to think it is.

I imagine that River has better feats in it, so one could certainly look through and search out those feats. Poke around, but I really didn’t like the show or the movie. So I’m not that invested in looking up feats for River.
    Why are we here?

Rumbles is pretty picky about that.

You could argue that it is Canon; certainly the shows creator seems to think it is.

I imagine that River has better feats in it, so one could certainly look through and search out those feats. Poke around, but I really didn’t like the show or the movie. So I’m not that invested in looking up feats for River.
    You didn't like show or movie? Most people talk about it like it was the best thing ever lol personally I thought it was just ok

You didn't like show or movie? Most people talk about it like it was the best thing ever lol personally I thought it was just ok
    I was a big Firefly fan, but with repeated viewings, I have come to accept that the movie-length pilot episode is just okay and the first episode (the train job) gets derailed by a few minutes of exposition that feels like 15 minutes long. The rest of the episodes are still pretty good, but the movie wrap-up is just okay compared to science-fiction movies in general. At best, some good stories with some good characters with some great dialogue.

I like the series/movie still but I think it probably ended at the right time honestly from what I hear of what was to come
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Mighty Member

do the Reavers have ANY feats apart from being cannon fodder space zombies?

what we're shown doesn't really seem to compare with the narrative hyperbole that surrounds them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I was a big Firefly fan, but with repeated viewings, I have come to accept that the movie-length pilot episode is just okay and the first episode (the train job) gets derailed by a few minutes of exposition that feels like 15 minutes long. The rest of the episodes are still pretty good, but the movie wrap-up is just okay compared to science-fiction movies in general. At best, some good stories with some good characters with some great dialogue.
    I just loved that it was a western in space.
    Power with Girl is better.

Both. Was not to my taste, mostly because I didn't like most of the central characters. Not 'these characters are horrible people and that makes them interesting', but 'I really, really found them unlikable'. But I've never been a fan of Whedon's style, so that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    do the Reavers have ANY feats apart from being cannon fodder space zombies?

what we're shown doesn't really seem to compare with the narrative hyperbole that surrounds them.
    Unless there's more in the comics, they're just really scary, crazy humans.
    Why are we here?