Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Diana keeping Themyscira and her family adds another layer of dimension between her, Superman and Batman. Superman lost his entire world, he can not go back. All he has is his adopted family. Batman lost his family but kept everything else...it's basically hollow, but still he made his family. Diana has access to her family, her history, her home. She's the opposite corner of the triangle for the three.

As for storywise, for my preferences...I rather like the idea of an adventurous Diana, wanting to know what's beyond the shores and wanting to explore it with Steve's arrival giving her the opportunity to escape what she sees as her confines, not jail...but definitely confined.

Thining about it, an interesting wrinkle might be that Themyscira is invisible to the outside world until Diana comes home, for some reason her being back reveals the island to the outside world. Would she choose to stay on the island knowing it might be vulnerable to invasion from the outside world? (Of course, my Themyscira wouldn't have a problem as I love the idea of the advanced technological island while not necessarily flying chariots as per the old Super Friends cartoon...I still want them on horses, flying horses and kangas!)
    Some of my favorite WW-adjacent stories are other heroes going to Themiscyra.

Definitely not. Themyscira has always been an integral part of her stories

Great topic to bring up, AlexLyo.

I'm surprised that there is such a concensus and I agree with most

I agree with the consensus here - she thinks she's leaving forever but finds her way back. Her being so connected to her people is a big part of what makes her unique.

Come to think of it, there's a great post-origin story to be told of her finding her way back to Themyscira. It was a short version of it, but I liked how Gail Simone did it in The Circle where she has to travel around to different pantheons asking their gods to help her get through the magical barrier (and the flying seashell was the coolest). Much more interesting than just having Hermes drop his sandals off at her doorstep like he did in Perez's run.

I actually don't like the idea of WW being locked out of Themiscyra at all. In fact one of my favorite uses of it was having characters like Supergirl and Batgirl visit to do training stuff.

I mean its been done before. However this sort of thing is why people treat Wonder Woman as having no canon elements.
    No home to go back to
    No city based out of
    No supporting cast that lasts from writer to writer.
    Even elements like the gods get editorial mandated alterations at the drop of the hat.

Sure, go ahead and toss out Paradise Island...Just know its the same as getting rid of Gotham and Metropolis for Batman and Superman.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

No, but it should be something that’s hard for her to get back to. Like Clark and Krypton, or Bruce and his innocence lost, these are things that had to be lost in order for them to become the people they are today. With Diana, let her still be able to access, but let’s keep it to special occasions, and damn near impossible to breach.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Nope. Never liked that idea. It makes the character poorer and it's too big of a trade off. And the unfortunate implication that she gave up everything for the first man she ever met.

I find it heroic enough that she has paradise but then chooses to keep coming back to make our world a better place when she has the option to just stay in her paradise.

To me, Paradise Island is more akin to the Batcave and the Fortress of Solitude; the place that's the purest distillation of the hero's psyche.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

In a word, no.

I enjoyed Grandma watching WW on the floor with me on Friday nights after Hulk and reading WW comics. And my favoritest parts were when she visited or communicated with her Queen Mother Hippolyte.

Paradise Island is a part of her world.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    In a word, no.

I enjoyed Grandma watching WW on the floor with me on Friday nights after Hulk and reading WW comics. And my favoritest parts were when she visited or communicated with her Queen Mother Hippolyte.

Paradise Island is a part of her world.
    This!

When she is destined to leave the Island to become a hero, why punish her by separating her from her home? It's a big enough sacrifice that she leaves literal Paradise to fight evil and bring love to mankind.