Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

So that was almost entirely pointless outside taking The Rose out and letting them know Madame Masque is behind everything.

Will Spider-Man finally feel like a main character in his own comic again?

well this preview makes me want to read issue two ultimate spider-man and I'm not a fan of alternative universes though.
    I haven't even read the tie-ins of this arc because this run is so catastrophic, the damage is already done.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

When Lonnie said Robbie was "a loose end" - and it turned out he just wanted to sit and chat - during the first arc, it was funny and it helped make the conclusion pack a nice punch.
    This, with Fisk, just honestly makes me feel like the same approach lost much of its luster the second go around.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So that was almost entirely pointless outside taking The Rose out and letting them know Madame Masque is behind everything.

Will Spider-Man finally feel like a main character in his own comic again?
    What an apt metaphor for this run to date. And just when I thought this run would lack any and all literary devices.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    When Lonnie said Robbie was "a loose end" - and it turned out he just wanted to sit and chat - during the first arc, it was funny and it helped make the conclusion pack a nice punch.
    This, with Fisk, just honestly makes me feel like the same approach lost much of its luster the second go around.
    Wells is repeating himself to diminishing effect .

........it's quite a trip. Reading USM #1 and then going back to this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    well this preview makes me want to read issue two ultimate spider-man and I'm not a fan of alternative universes though.
    I haven't even read the tie-ins of this arc because this run is so catastrophic, the damage is already done.
    Not so surprisingly, the tie ins have been MUCH better than this dreck. But yeah, give me USM #2 already

Astonishing Member

Thank God for Ultimate Spider-Man.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    ........it's quite a trip. Reading USM #1 and then going back to this crap.
    And Spider-Man doesn't even show up in USM #1.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Thank God for Ultimate Spider-Man.
    It's not 616 so it doesn't really count in the slightest

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    And Spider-Man doesn't even show up in USM #1.
    Well, until the very last page .

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    It's not 616 so it doesn't really count in the slightest
    I'll be completely honest with you... I truly do not care that it isn't in Earth-616.

I get it, I love classic 616 Spidey too. But Ultimate Spider-Man #1 is the first time in ages where I've read a modern Spider-Man comic and it all felt right. Plenty of things are different right away, but the vibe and soul of it all just felt like classic Spider-Man to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    I'll be completely honest with you... I truly do not care that it isn't in Earth-616.

I get it, I love classic 616 Spidey too. But Ultimate Spider-Man #1 is the first time in ages where I've read a modern Spider-Man comic and it all felt right. Plenty of things are different right away, but the vibe and soul of it all just felt like classic Spider-Man to me.
    Was Spencer's run so long ago...

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was Spencer's run so long ago...
    I was actually including Spencer's run in my statement! It's not bad at all and was an acceptable-ish status quo IMO and I fully acknowledge that there's been good Spidey comics post-OMD. But it wasn't clicking for me in quite the same way as the best of the older Spidey comics, such as the earlier JMS era or DeMatteis' Spectacular Spider-Man run.

Obviously it remains to be seen how Hickman's Ultimate Spider-Man will hold up as the narrative progresses, but so far with the first issue, the vibes all feel right to me in a way I haven't felt in about twenty years, ironically enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    I was actually including Spencer's run in my statement! It's not bad at all and was an acceptable-ish status quo IMO and I fully acknowledge that there's been good Spidey comics post-OMD. But it wasn't clicking for me in quite the same way as the best of the older Spidey comics, such as the earlier JMS era or DeMatteis' Spectacular Spider-Man run.

Obviously it remains to be seen how Hickman's Ultimate Spider-Man will hold up as the narrative progresses, but so far with the first issue, the vibes all feel right to me in a way I haven't felt in about twenty years, ironically enough.
    That's fair, I guess for me I know it's early but I feel like Spencer is more in line with my taste for Spidey than I feel Hickman will be even if he still writes a good book on a technical level and Spencer had this good mix of the best Spidey runs in his book (even if it was also because he was riffing on the stories from said Spidey books).