Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's fair, I guess for me I know it's early but I feel like Spencer is more in line with my taste for Spidey than I feel Hickman will be even if he still writes a good book on a technical level and Spencer had this good mix of the best Spidey runs in his book (even if it was also because he was riffing on the stories from said Spidey books).
    That's definitely fair too! I think for me, even more than the PeterMJ marriage, one of the big detriments of the post-OMD era for me is Marvel's insistence on 616 Peter being in his 20's and often pushing to write him to act young. Spencer handled it well from what I recall, not unlike how the Insomniac games write Peter or the 80's era Peter.

But for me, 616 Peter is a guy who is perpetually somewhere in his 30's. Always has been, even when I was 9 years old. Growing up, I had the old Tom DeFalco Ultimate Guide to Spider-Man and would regularly go onto dedicated Spider-Man fan sites to look through archives and summaries of all the different classic storylines and comic issue covers that happened in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I didn't worry as much about the 60's, since my folks used to get me the old silverback Marvel Masterwork volumes regularly enough. So I'd be reading the original Lee/Ditko and Lee/Romita era comics as well as the then contemporary JMS comics and the DeFalco guide... and it all painted this very defined image in my head that Peter was someone who'd been Spider-Man for at least 15 years, going on 20, by the time I was reading current issues. I'd read the classic comics and see Peter where he was at in the various stages of his life at that point, but "in the present day" for me, he was always 30-something.

And while OMD tried to retcon all of that happening into a shorter window of time, as well as removing Peter and MJ's marriage, I've just never gone along with that in my head. To me, Peter Parker is still some dude somewhere in his 30's and has mellowed out a bit more than what we generally see in contemporary 616 Spidey books. They're not bad, in fact some are pretty fantastic- but there's always something just a bit off to me.

The other thing that I think Hickman's off to a great start with that helps recapture a lot of the more classic vibes IMO is that, even though the status quo here is quite a bit different and these versions of the supporting cast are all a little different in personality in varying ways, the supporting cast are all immediately present and engaging to follow. I'm just as excited to see where things go with Redacted and Jonah as I am to see Peter's journey into becoming Spider-Man as I am to see how these changes impact MJ and the kids as I am to see how Robbie handles having to run the Bugle while under Fisk's thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    I'll be completely honest with you... I truly do not care that it isn't in Earth-616.

I get it, I love classic 616 Spidey too. But Ultimate Spider-Man #1 is the first time in ages where I've read a modern Spider-Man comic and it all felt right. Plenty of things are different right away, but the vibe and soul of it all just felt like classic Spider-Man to me.
    How? This is serious question btw cause I've seen this repeated so often. How is this anything like classic Spider-Man when Peter's relationships are completely different, the setting is different, the histories are different, the backstories are different and most importantly when we haven't even been introduced to this Spider-Man yet? Even the overall themes haven't shown themselves to be the same yet (nothing about great power and responsibilty and the sacrifices heroes make). I understand that this is a book fans have asked for, and what they've want modern Peter to be but I don't get how this feels classic? Seems like its getting a lot of love because its not the classic formula.

That's definitely fair too! I think for me, even more than the PeterMJ marriage, one of the big detriments of the post-OMD era for me is Marvel's insistence on 616 Peter being in his 20's and often pushing to write him to act young. Spencer handled it well from what I recall, not unlike how the Insomniac games write Peter or the 80's era Peter.

But for me, 616 Peter is a guy who is perpetually somewhere in his 30's. Always has been, even when I was 9 years old. Growing up, I had the old Tom DeFalco Ultimate Guide to Spider-Man and would regularly go onto dedicated Spider-Man fan sites to look through archives and summaries of all the different classic storylines and comic issue covers that happened in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I didn't worry as much about the 60's, since my folks used to get me the old silverback Marvel Masterwork volumes regularly enough. So I'd be reading the original Lee/Ditko and Lee/Romita era comics as well as the then contemporary JMS comics and the DeFalco guide... and it all painted this very defined image in my head that Peter was someone who'd been Spider-Man for at least 15 years, going on 20, by the time I was reading current issues. I'd read the classic comics and see Peter where he was at in the various stages of his life at that point, but "in the present day" for me, he was always 30-something.

And while OMD tried to retcon all of that happening into a shorter window of time, as well as removing Peter and MJ's marriage, I've just never gone along with that in my head. To me, Peter Parker is still some dude somewhere in his 30's and has mellowed out a bit more than what we generally see in contemporary 616 Spidey books. They're not bad, in fact some are pretty fantastic- but there's always something just a bit off to me.

The other thing that I think Hickman's off to a great start with that helps recapture a lot of the more classic vibes IMO is that, even though the status quo here is quite a bit different and these versions of the supporting cast are all a little different in personality in varying ways, the supporting cast are all immediately present and engaging to follow. I'm just as excited to see where things go with Redacted and Jonah as I am to see Peter's journey into becoming Spider-Man as I am to see how these changes impact MJ and the kids as I am to see how Robbie handles having to run the Bugle while under Fisk's thumb.
    Spencer Peter felt like a guy in his 30's to me even if they made that comment on him being in his mid-20's in the run, but chronologically he was around 29 circa Slott's run.

spencer literally made him lose his job and go back to college and done nothing important with that plotline. Also deage him to his mid 20s
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    spencer literally made him lose his job and go back to college and done nothing important with that plotline. Also deage him to his mid 20s
    Shhhhhh….it never goes well when you add sense to the discussion…lol!

This is forgotten because the main thing Spencer did was bring MJ into the book in a meaningful way, introduce a ring (that was never used) and gave the impression he was undoing OMD.

And for that, on this board, his run was AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

This is forgotten because the main thing Spencer did was bring MJ into the book in a meaningful way, introduce a ring (that was never used) and gave the impression he was undoing OMD.

I think there's more to it than that, like his Peter coming off as a seasoned, mature, hero who actively resolved problems.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's more to it than that, like his Peter coming off as a seasoned, mature, hero who actively resolved problems.
    Exactly. That's why context matters.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Peter lost his job and had to go back to college because he was exposed for using a doctorate that he did not earn, which he also lied to everyone about. It would have been wrong for Peter to keep both the doctorate and his job under those circumstances, don't you agree?

Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 01-12-2024 at 01:51 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Peter lost his job and had to go back to college because he was exposed for using a doctorate that he did not earn, which he also lied to everyone about. It would have been wrong for Peter to keep both the doctorate and his job under those circumstances, don't you agree?

yeah i know that but you would think he would do something with that reset. besides the reuniting with lizard and that plot point with the student who had the future seeing device that lead to a bad 2099 event

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

Fixing Felicia is probably the biggest thing the run did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Fixing Felicia is probably the biggest thing the run did.
    I think retconning Sins Past was even more important.

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    didnt felt that way when reading the run

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    I don't like Sins Past, but Felicia's characterization was an ongoing problem, going back to BND.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post

I always wonder how much this lady had it out for Peter that she's go through all this trouble just to expose/humiliate him and just that stone-cold response.

And to think, "Gang War" started out somewhat promising. But now, with this one preview, it's as if as though Wells is telling his readers, "Oh ho ho! You thought bringing Kingpin into the mix was going to lead to something epic? Surprise! That issue long fight between him and Tombstone was a complete waste of time. And I did it all for the LOLs." And yes, the fact that Spidey himself lampshades it doesn't mean it's a stroke of brilliance, either.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton