Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

But also sometimes concepts stink. And I think from a conceptual level, Chasm is a bad concept. And I'll die on that hill.

There's nothing of value there. It's a bad idea executed poorly. I expect the Chasm mini will be at best, extremely mediocre and inoffensive.

And yeah, I think the costume is embarrassing too.
    Last edited by Coop; 01-23-2024 at 09:54 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Did anyone notice that Madame Masque's chanting was similar to Benjamin Rabin's when she was placing Shotgun under her spell?

"AIEEEYAH ALAK-TA. AIEEEYAH. ALAK. ALAK. AIEEEYAH." - Benjamin Rabin, ASM #22

"KALLAH-TI-MAKA!" - Madame Masque, ASM #42

I just can't shake the feeling that it's the same Dead Language from before.

Get it? Dead Language?

Okay, I'll see myself out.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    There's nothing of value there. It's a bad idea executed poorly. I expect the Chasm mini will be at best, extremely mediocre and inoffensive.
    Not written by Wells, though. The pattern is that they're really good.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Did anyone notice that Madame Masque's chanting was similar to Benjamin Rabin's when she was placing Shotgun under her spell?

Get it? Dead Language?

Were this a different creative team, I would like to think that this was an interesting bit of foreshadowing that something shady is going to be revealed soon---a chance for the reader to look at something that's more than surface level and to give the reader something to think about.

Now though? PFFT, who knows? Sometimes it's hard to come up with new words, maybe?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTorgo View Post
    Were this a different creative team, I would like to think that this was an interesting bit of foreshadowing that something shady is going to be revealed soon---a chance for the reader to look at something that's more than surface level and to give the reader something to think about.

Now though? PFFT, who knows? Sometimes it's hard to come up with new words, maybe?
    This.

After so possible clues/similarities went absolutely nowhere (remember when a theory was Paul might be a time placed/alternate Peter, because Paul attacked Rabin with the exact same movement and words as Peter?) and outright flubs and forgetfulness visible on the page, the most likely scenario is the creative team forgot they’d already used runes carved on skin and similar language sounds in an earlier story and are just repeating them. :shrug.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-24-2024 at 09:29 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    This.

After so possible clues/similarities went absolutely nowhere (remember when a theory was Paul might be a time placed/alternate Peter, because Paul attacked Rabin with the exact same movement and words as Peter?) and outright flubs and forgetfulness visible on the page, the most likely scenario is the creative team forgot they’d already used runes carved on skin and similar language sounds in an earlier story and are just repeating them. :shrug.
    That was never established and that was a terrible fan theory or basic sad copium. The carving is alluding to him being marked. At least the sigil and chants are stuff from earlier in the run and not created to make false hope
    Last edited by Mercwmouth12; 01-24-2024 at 09:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    That was never established and that was a terrible fan theory or basic sad copium. The carving is alluding to him being marked. At least the sigil and chants are stuff from earlier in the run and not created to make false hope
    The above sounds like just another fan theory to me.

Masque is also using vaguely Germanic runes. Rabin used vaguely indigenous Mesoamerican symbols.

It’s just repeating something that was already in the run, like Paul drawn exactly in the same position, using the exact same words, as Peter when attacking Rabin. Or Peter and Paul switching places and clothing in the shoving flashback scene. Or forgetting they already named Romephanie.

Occam’s razor says in this run, it’s just another coincidence that will mean absolutely nothing. It’s simply using “it’s magic” as yet another deus ex machina to get to the desired outcome rather than writing from a place of organic character and plot development.

Maybe future issues will prove me wrong, but the most accurate predictor of future outcomes is past performance.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-24-2024 at 10:34 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

The above sounds like just another fan theory to me.

Masque is also using vaguely Germanic runes. Rabin used vaguely indigenous Mesoamerican symbols.

It’s just repeating something that was already in the run, like Paul drawn exactly in the same position, using the exact same words, as Peter when attacking Rabin. Or Peter and Paul switching places and clothing in the shoving flashback scene. Or forgetting they already named Romephanie.

Occam’s razor says in this run, it’s just another coincidence that will mean absolutely nothing. It’s simply using “it’s magic” as yet another deus ex machina to get to the desired outcome rather than writing from a place of organic character and plot development.

Maybe future issues will prove me wrong, but the most accurate predictor of future outcomes is past performance.
    I honestly hope it means something this time (especially if it means the beginning of The Unraveling of Paul), but they have to earn the benefit of the doubt, at this point.

Romephanie
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Wells hit his quota with the vanishing fake kids.
    Does it really count if they're fake though? .

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Good one. Welcome back.
    More of a temporary return, ASM being so bad gives me little motivation to want to talk about Spidey, it's why it took me 9 days to reply and all lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm surprised people still read this after Dark Web. Bro tried to ruin TWO franchises.
    Fans can put up with a lot of terrible stories, for better and worse...

This is making Dark Web look like a great event by comparison.
    Are you memeing how terrible the writing is or somehow Wells managed to keep digging after reaching the bottom of the abyss?

I think Peter and Ben were in a somewhat better place, or at least more hopeful place, before Wells's Spider-Man Beyond and current ASM. Hell, Spider-Man Beyond was almost worse, as it was set up to look like the restoration of Ben's heroic character after the savaging of Clone Conspiracy and PAD's Scarlet Spider series, but then the ending . . . Way to pull the rug out.
    Brevoort's sale method, gotta love it...

Execution is everything.
    While true, ultimately someone has to want to do it, or at least be talented enough, to make a bad idea really work, and we got nothing like that with Chasm.

This.

We got a theory about Spidey being Paul based on that? Man, I missed some wild stuff lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 01-30-2024 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post

Get it? Dead Language?

Took me a while to notice it, but it's true.

This proofs what I have been suspecting: The whole thing with the Rabin and that God is not over (it will surely end at the end of this run) and something related to that is still coming. Hopefully, it will end with Paul's death or even erasing this whole thing from ever happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Does it really count if they're fake though? .
    It's close...
    Are you memeing how terrible the writing is or somehow Wells managed to keep digging after reaching the bottom of the abyss?
    It's not great .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

It's close...

It's not great .
    From a certain meme that keeps floating around . . . "There is a point at which we needed to stop, and we have clearly passed it . . . but let's keep going and see what happens!"
    The spider is always on the hunt.

From a certain meme that keeps floating around . . . "There is a point at which we needed to stop, and we have clearly passed it . . . but let's keep going and see what happens!"
    I just imagine Wells and Lowe as Homer and co. digging that hole

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    I just imagine Wells and Lowe as Homer and co. digging that hole
    Dig, dig, dig . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Random question, does Paul still relevant? I know he appears in Jackpot comics but at this point even Wells seem don't know what to do with him anymore.