Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Is Ev about to pull a Colossus X-Men 390?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It started in Hickman's Powers of X #1 so I can see why the writers are circling back with the idea at the end of the era.
    Astrology was in HOX/POX? I have reread it, I don't remember that at all

Tarot Card reading ie Cartomancy and Astrology are two very different things.
    And it's not as though the writers are actually writing according to the deeper meanings of the cards (I'd be very surprised and impressed if they did)...they were merely cute/fun imagery used just to make it seem all the more esoteric.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-11-2024 at 02:26 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Jean's imagery on the Tarot Card is similar to Rachel's imagery appearing to the Dead X-Men. Burning tree (allusion to burning bush).

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    This era and all of this tarot card crap is so cringe blame Tini Howard for this trend in X-Comics
    Yeah, had same reaction. Krakoan era broke the fourth wall way too many times; leaking X-Office culture into the books where characters and stories belong. I don’t spend $5.99 to read a podcast about the writers niche interests.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Yeah, had same reaction. Krakoan era broke the fourth wall way too many times; leaking X-Office culture into the books where characters and stories belong. I don’t spend $5.99 to read a podcast about the writers niche interests.
    So you didn't love to read about Claremont's many, many fetishes for 15 years ?
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 01-11-2024 at 03:25 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Yeah exactly, I don't need to know your Twitter interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    LMAO.... Noo.. I would never.... How dare you...

Like, hello?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Braxxer View Post
    Why they forget talon is old and should have wrinkles. Even in the vault scene
    No she heals. So also her skin.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

LOL...Touche. Don't hurt them so, Nico.

Sauron, bitches. Sauron.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Astonishing Member

Just don’t have Sauron and a female villainess hypnotize each other and threaten to have sex on-panel again and I’ll be good with Duggan using him again.

The pixelation is getting worse and worse
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Yeah, had same reaction. Krakoan era broke the fourth wall way too many times; leaking X-Office culture into the books where characters and stories belong. I don’t spend $5. 99 to read a podcast about the writers niche interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    The pixelation is getting worse and worse
    The big difference is that Claremonts fetishes were shared by the broader comic book market. That's why so many people bought comics back then, and so few are buying them now. Simple business sense is know your audience and give them what they want, not what you think they should want. (Which is unsurprisingly always what YOU want.)

I see people trying to argue that it's only a coincidence that half or (much) more of Western comics sales dried up when they brought in agenda driven editors and writers who are not writing to the broader market, but inserting their own stand-ins and fetishes to a niche market. (Or, more correctly, they drove off the majority of readers and have turned the Big 2 publishers [and Western comics in general] into a niche market itself. Now, they slap themselves on the back and call it a success when half of the remaining 25% or so of readers like a book, which is canceled or 'rebooted' a month later for low sales.)

Don't get me wrong. Diversity and representation are great. I am glad we moved away from exclusively straight white males because it is boring when everything is the same. But it's swung too far in the other direction where they've purged not just the number, but good depictions of characters who are representative of the majority of the audience, but don't fit the writers' idea of what heroes should look like.

Now, even the most popular original heroes in their own books get beaten, abused, and dominated by other heroes the writers push on us.

-How many tens of dozens of Wolverine fans use that name to describe any of the demographically appropriate carbon copies, rather than Logan himself, despite over a decade of beating that dead gender swapped Liu self-insert horse?
    -Do the majority of Iron Man fans want to see him expressly depicted as Mr. Emma Frost in what is really her solo book? He's saving her ass and she's in charge like some crappy Who's the Boss fan fiction?
    -Thor standing no chance against an angry black woman?
    -Bishop's Affirmative Action War College traveling to a what was essentially a minstrel show AU where there are literally no white people? (Except the literal Nazi Fenris twins, of course. That is the proper depiction of white people to that particular writer, I guess.)
    -Look at the depiction of hetero sexual couples in Marvel today. They almost always fall into one of two tropes: girl boss and man child/male wife (Tony and Emma, Cyke and anyone), or strong black man tames strong white woman (synch/Laura, carol/Rhode, Brother Voodoo/Wanda, Luke Cage/Jessica Jones). Now that's not to say those tropes can't be done well and tell interesting stories. I'm a big Defenders fan, and was back when seeing that in print was a quite a bit more risqué than today. But it is not representative to the broader audience where only 15% or so of American relationships are interracial, and only about 6% are black-white. (Which you wouldn't know from Western media, where they are 75% of depicted relationships.)
    -Unsurprisingly, the current writers are much better depicting LGBT relationships, given that the majority of writers are LGBT themselves. But that in itself is a problem because the broader market has little interest in anything lgbt but fetishized big boobed lesbians. (Go ahead and make Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson a couple--in a sex scene. That will sell!) But there is a relatively small market for Alan Scott lgbt activist lantern, Super Jon and his boyfriend, Betsy and Rachel, jean-cyke-logan throuple. Iceman soft core. Jug and Tom Cassidy being weird. Pretty much the entire New X-Men book. But the writers just can't help themselves. They have to make every single character a stand-in for their own queer experience, either explicitly or coding, regardless of whether it sells.

Beyond me thinking this is crappy content, which is subjective, who are these writers writing to, beside themselves? What is the audience for these characters and books? Does anyone really think it is more than 25% of the broader market of comic readers? (Or care, besides Disney stockholders like me who are pissed about the price and dividend?)

What is the point of pushing these fetishes so often and hard? It's not fan service. At least Claremont sold books! I don't know many people who are going to buy X-Books because a naked Synch and Laura are fronting the X-Men, particularly when the writers didn't even bother to show their relationship develop on panel, which might have built a fan base organically.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Big ups. Claremont was into the same **** I was into so of course I read his books.
    "Cable was right!"