Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post

What is the point of pushing these fetishes so often and hard? It's not fan service. At least Claremont sold books! I don't know many people who are going to buy X-Books because a naked Synch and Laura are fronting the X-Men, particularly when the writers didn't even bother to show their relationship develop on panel, which might have built a fan base organically.
    I don't see this tarot image bothering with my interest in collecting the book next week. This is probably the reason why Hickman originally planned to set a one time relationship between Vault Laura and Everett and the relationship will likely end after Krakoa era.(Hopefully this will stop the LGBT Laura fans from harassing me as a heterosexual Synch fan who's ok with the couple as long as it's part of a larger storyline setup. I'm mostly an Ev x Jubes shipper)

But yeah, as you stated we're on a different comic book medium now.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Big ups. Claremont was into the same **** I was into so of course I read his books.
    Isn't that exactly how literally every single consumer chooses what products to buy? By their own personal likes and dislikes?
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Isn't that exactly how literally every single consumer chooses what products to buy? By their own personal likes and dislikes?
    yuppppp, exactlyy.

representation matters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    Why is Jean on that tarot card? It's a lovely image of her.

Love Synch but old woman Laura grates a bit. Always found the High Evolutionary to be a boring villain.
    I don't even question cover art anymore, as they invariably never represent what the actual comic is going to be about, and is more just about getting people to buy the comic. It does look cool though.

There is a little too much overlap in the Villain who is gene scientist category. Sinister, High Evolutionary, and even Tarn, all have a little too much overlap in what their 'thing' is. I would like to see more Tarn though, as he is the perfect midpoint between too much personality and no personality of Sinister and High Evolutionary, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    yuppppp, exactlyy.

representation matters.
    100% representation matters. But representation cuts both ways because everyone wants to see themselves represented in at least some of the characters of a story. That's why there was a push for diversity in the first place, no?

So then why is it surprising when literally 60-70% of the (former and/or potential) audience is just not interested when they are not represented, or poorly represented, in the content? And it's not even that anyone is actively offended, though some might be. Most of the audience simply doesn't care enough to spend their money on what is being produced now. For example, while I certainly see merit in giving little black girls Disney princesses they can see themselves in, there just aren't enough such girls to carry a $300M+ movie, as Disney found out. Just like there aren't nearly enough feminists (or whoever the audience is supposed to be) to carry the Marvel's, SheHulk, and Kamala Kahn. MCU completely retooled itself to appeal to female viewers instead of male viewers...and the result was that neither showed up! They stupidly turned off a solid half of their fanbase--who now have no interest in the M-She-U' no matter what Marvel does--and have nothing to replace it with. Oops....

Which isn't the least bit surprising when the writers and producers and actors are all very vocal that they don't create content for the overwhelming majority of their potential audience--straight white males. Well, that's really bad business sense because 70%-plus of the market are straight white men, and they're not buying Marvel books or seeing MCU movies anymore. Congrats, you killed the golden goose! Marvel is now stuck because they have to cater to their remaining readers while the rest of us aren't going to buy anything Marvel no matter what they write now. Sure, I'll still watch MCU movies or browse comics, but only when I can get the content for free.

So, this is what confuses me so much: What is the point of pushing these niche fetishes so often and hard? It's not for the fans, who've been driven away in droves by specifically that! I mean, at least Claremont sold books!

-Kamala Khan was failing in the MCU so they sent her to X-Men for her benefit, not the X-line.
    -Race-swap Wonderman is cancelled.
    -Blade was supposedly a bait and switch that focused on his lesbian daughter and is now in development hell.
    -Luke and Jessica (Defenders in general) were always a third or fourth rate team and never came close to cracking the elite IP.
    -Even Cloak and Dagger, who are a million times better characters in better stories and actually were written with a ton of chemistry (meaning the opposite of Synch and Laura), could never become more than c- or d-tier despite dozens of pushes and their own show. (Which didn't even have the stones to show them as a couple!)

No, it isn't to sell books like Claremont's fetishes. It is merely the writer's fetishes of what a hero or a heterosexual couple should look like, which is demonstrably not shared by the vast majority of comic book readers and viewers. And when we who don't share their fetishes tune out and don't spend their money on content that doesn't interest us, the writers and producers whine and moan how it's misogyny or bigotry or whatever. But that's a losing proposition because no amount haranguing about misogyny or homophobia or any other buzzword is actually going to make even one person spend their money on these books or movies.

The only bright spot...Disney turned itself into such a dumpster fire that you might get a new Disney board that finally understands this sooner than later. :c)

Spectacular Member

-Kamala Khan was failing in the MCU so they sent her to X-Men for her benefit, not the X-line.
    )
    Which gravely hurt Monet and Dust's relevancy in the comics right now....*Sigh* I've been ranting on about Marvel pushing Kamala too much since her first appearance in the 2010s.... Can't they just lay off the MCU fatigue.....?

100% representation matters. But representation cuts both ways because everyone wants to see themselves represented in at least some of the characters of a story. That's why there was a push for diversity in the first place, no?

So then why is it surprising when literally 60-70% of the (former and/or potential) audience is just not interested when they are not represented, or poorly represented, in the content? And it's not even that anyone is actively offended, though some might be. Most of the audience simply doesn't care enough to spend their money on what is being produced now. For example, while I certainly see merit in giving little black girls Disney princesses they can see themselves in, there just aren't enough such girls to carry a $300M+ movie, as Disney found out. Just like there aren't nearly enough feminists (or whoever the audience is supposed to be) to carry the Marvel's, SheHulk, and Kamala Kahn. MCU completely retooled itself to appeal to female viewers instead of male viewers...and the result was that neither showed up! They stupidly turned off a solid half of their fanbase--who now have no interest in the M-She-U' no matter what Marvel does--and have nothing to replace it with. Oops....

Which isn't the least bit surprising when the writers and producers and actors are all very vocal that they don't create content for the overwhelming majority of their potential audience--straight white males. Well, that's really bad business sense because 70%-plus of the market are straight white men, and they're not buying Marvel books or seeing MCU movies anymore. Congrats, you killed the golden goose! Marvel is now stuck because they have to cater to their remaining readers while the rest of us aren't going to buy anything Marvel no matter what they write now. Sure, I'll still watch MCU movies or browse comics, but only when I can get the content for free.

So, this is what confuses me so much: What is the point of pushing these niche fetishes so often and hard? It's not for the fans, who've been driven away in droves by specifically that! I mean, at least Claremont sold books!

-Race-swap Wonderman is cancelled.
    -Blade was supposedly a bait and switch that focused on his lesbian daughter and is now in development hell.
    -Luke and Jessica (Defenders in general) were always a third or fourth rate team and never came close to cracking the elite IP.
    -Even Cloak and Dagger, who are a million times better characters in better stories and actually were written with a ton of chemistry (meaning the opposite of Synch and Laura), could never become more than c- or d-tier despite dozens of pushes and their own show. (Which didn't even have the stones to show them as a couple!)

No, it isn't to sell books like Claremont's fetishes. It is merely the writer's fetishes of what a hero or a heterosexual couple should look like, which is demonstrably not shared by the vast majority of comic book readers and viewers. And when we who don't share their fetishes tune out and don't spend their money on content that doesn't interest us, the writers and producers whine and moan how it's misogyny or bigotry or whatever. But that's a losing proposition because no amount haranguing about misogyny or homophobia or any other buzzword is actually going to make even one person spend their money on these books or movies.

The only bright spot...Disney turned itself into such a dumpster fire that you might get a new Disney board that finally understands this sooner than later. :c)
    all things in balance, there was a huge over correction so the pendulum swung way to far on one side; just give it time it'll balance out.

Spectacular Member

Cloak and Dagger: They got their own TV show(I watched it regularly till the finale) incomparable to Synch and Vault Laura due to their long history.... There was no actual comic book history between Ev and Laura until Hickman's Vault storyline being tied to a bigger Krakoa storyline. This cover still works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    all things in balance, there was a huge over correction so the pendulum swung way to far on one side; just give it time it'll balance out.
    Unfortunately, it will likely swing past a balance and over-correct again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherflash View Post
    Cloak and Dagger: They got their own TV show(I watched it regularly till the finale) incomparable to Synch and Vault Laura due to their long history.... There was no actual comic book history between Ev and Laura until Hickman's Vault storyline being tied to a bigger Krakoa storyline. This cover still works for me.
    This is precisely my point. Cloak and Dagger (and Luke and Jessica) have a strong and meaningful relationship that was built up over decades on panel. If you followed them you can buy into them as a couple--not an interracial couple--and want them to succeed irrespective of race.

For Synch and Laura, I think we've had a total of six panels telling us they're really super duper in love, and the rest of their relationship is them acting like high schoolers reminding everyone around them, and the reader, that they have a lot of sex. That is the fetishization of the interracial relationship!

EDIT: Was X-23 Synch's first time? I don't think him and Monet 'did it'....
    Last edited by Ulysian_Thracs; 01-12-2024 at 03:49 PM.

Spectacular Member

This is precisely my point. Cloak and Dagger (and Luke and Jessica) have a strong and meaningful relationship that was built up over decades on panel. If you followed them you can buy into them as a couple--not an interracial couple--and want them to succeed irrespective of race.

For Synch and Laura, I think we've had a total of six panels telling us they're really super duper in love, and the rest of their relationship is them acting like high schoolers reminding everyone around them, and the reader, that they have a lot of sex. That is the fetishization of the interracial relationship!

EDIT: Was X-23 Synch's first time? I don't think him and Monet 'did it'....
    He almost did it with Monet. Vault Laura was the first time for Ev because of living in the Vault. Literally all part of the bigger Krakoa era story relate to Synch. Speaking of Monet, she's already a walking sex appeal since her affair with Jamie(Not many are talking about that now while her relationship with Darwin is on stasis)

Ideally the new batch of writers will understand what works and what doesn't.

All New All Different didn't work and alienated a lot of fans and then Marvel tried to correct and found a balance of sorts and we've been going back to the center, albeit slowly, ever since.

Astonishing Member

The ultimate pain of being a critic of the Krakoa era is having to uncomfortably share positions with people who espouse “Get Woke Go Broke” crap. Let me be clear: our reasons for disliking this era are not the same and it’s an active embarrassment being on the same side of this.

He almost did it with Monet. Vault Laura was the first time for Ev because of living in the Vault. Literally all part of the bigger Krakoa era story relate to Synch. Speaking of Monet, she's already a walking sex appeal since her affair with Jamie(Not many are talking about that now while her relationship with Darwin is on stasis)
    Monet is a great character. I'm not big on her with Quicksilver, but I really liked her one date with Strong Guy. I still see Synch as her OTP and both of their current relationships as abortions, but I would've loved to see them pick Monet and Guido up at one point.

Fantastic Member

I've loved the Krakoa era but it is not perfect. If anything, I'm shocked anyone's given Synch's relationship much thought; I've always dug his character and of all the GenXers to die in the original one, why him? But having two Lauras is just weird.

Also, since Claremont having people of all different backgrounds was part of the formula; maybe the culture wars changed the context a bit, but why would anyone get bent out of shape about it now -- whether it's MAGA types of SJWs makes no difference to me.

Fantastic Member

Those two have some of the best visual presences in comics and how they're always lurking around just sucks because they're awesome.