Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm just looking forward to hopefully seeing Ev and Laura in action since they've spent most of the past few months calling shots from the sewers.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I would definitely like to counter the "Two Lauras is Weird" argument with Cable and X-Man. The two Laura's are essentially completely different characters. "Old" Laura / Talon on the X-Men is, essentially, a brand new character, imo. She is nothing like the "Young" Laura/X-23 we know. And I do think "Young" Laura / X-23 presents as the character we've grown with, in most cases. And I liken that to Cable and X-Man, who are similar but different, but the same, but totally opposite, but sometimes, but sorta, but never, but kinda...
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    The ultimate pain of being a critic of the Krakoa era is having to uncomfortably share positions with people who espouse “Get Woke Go Broke” crap. Let me be clear: our reasons for disliking this era are not the same and it’s an active embarrassment being on the same side of this.
    The embarrassment is all yours, Saithor. I'm never offended that people hold different opinions than me.

0000.jpg
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    I would definitely like to counter the "Two Lauras is Weird" argument with Cable and X-Man. The two Laura's are essentially completely different characters. "Old" Laura / Talon on the X-Men is, essentially, a brand new character, imo. She is nothing like the "Young" Laura/X-23 we know. And I do think "Young" Laura / X-23 presents as the character we've grown with, in most cases. And I liken that to Cable and X-Man, who are similar but different, but the same, but totally opposite, but sometimes, but sorta, but never, but kinda...
    I don't think they're functionally as different as Cable and Nate are and I feel like both had more separate story purposes than the two Laura's.

Also I just don't think it's been executed all that well so far.

Spectacular Member

Vault Laura happily moved on. Young Laura is the same character before the Vault storyline. Yes, they're two different people now.

X-Man was never Cable, he doesn't have the same childhood, origin, birthdate, birthplace or even actually the exact same parents. He's an alt universe equivalent of Cable. Talon's is the Laura we've known as X-23/Wolverine from 2003 to 2021 and so is the clone. A better comparison is Spider-Man and the Scarlet Spider. But the Scarlet Spider changed his name to Ben Rielly, moved away, got new friends and family, let Peter assume the identity he grew up with in every way. Talon really hasn't done the same.
    Last edited by DurararaFTW; 01-13-2024 at 02:21 AM.

I personally love Talon, and don't mind her sharing space with Wolverine. I think Duggan writes a better Talon, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    The ultimate pain of being a critic of the Krakoa era is having to uncomfortably share positions with people who espouse “Get Woke Go Broke” crap. Let me be clear: our reasons for disliking this era are not the same and it’s an active embarrassment being on the same side of this.
    Just put them on ignore, it does wonder for the skin.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

I tend to hate carbon copies of characters. And Logan as been the worst with this. Daken is a bit of an exception, IMO. But since she left New X-Men, X-23 has largely been a generic action girl. Logan plus boobs without the personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I personally love Talon, and don't mind her sharing space with Wolverine. I think Duggan writes a better Talon, though.

Just put them on ignore, it does wonder for the skin.
    He's perfectly able to ignore me without pushing a button. (In theory, at least.)

But then he wouldn't be able to virtue signal how terrible he thinks me and my views are...
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm just looking forward to hopefully seeing Ev and Laura in action since they've spent most of the past few months calling shots from the sewers.
    Yes, eh! About fockin' time.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm definitely happy that we are finally getting to see Ev in action as well as following up on the High Evolutionary plot. I'm not really a fan of Noto's art but I can deal with it for a Synch focused issue.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    100% representation matters. But representation cuts both ways because everyone wants to see themselves represented in at least some of the characters of a story. That's why there was a push for diversity in the first place, no?

So then why is it surprising when literally 60-70% of the (former and/or potential) audience is just not interested when they are not represented, or poorly represented, in the content? And it's not even that anyone is actively offended, though some might be. Most of the audience simply doesn't care enough to spend their money on what is being produced now. For example, while I certainly see merit in giving little black girls Disney princesses they can see themselves in, there just aren't enough such girls to carry a $300M+ movie, as Disney found out. Just like there aren't nearly enough feminists (or whoever the audience is supposed to be) to carry the Marvel's, SheHulk, and Kamala Kahn. MCU completely retooled itself to appeal to female viewers instead of male viewers...and the result was that neither showed up! They stupidly turned off a solid half of their fanbase--who now have no interest in the M-She-U' no matter what Marvel does--and have nothing to replace it with. Oops....

Which isn't the least bit surprising when the writers and producers and actors are all very vocal that they don't create content for the overwhelming majority of their potential audience--straight white males. Well, that's really bad business sense because 70%-plus of the market are straight white men, and they're not buying Marvel books or seeing MCU movies anymore. Congrats, you killed the golden goose! Marvel is now stuck because they have to cater to their remaining readers while the rest of us aren't going to buy anything Marvel no matter what they write now. Sure, I'll still watch MCU movies or browse comics, but only when I can get the content for free.

So, this is what confuses me so much: What is the point of pushing these niche fetishes so often and hard? It's not for the fans, who've been driven away in droves by specifically that! I mean, at least Claremont sold books!

-Kamala Khan was failing in the MCU so they sent her to X-Men for her benefit, not the X-line.
    -Race-swap Wonderman is cancelled.
    -Blade was supposedly a bait and switch that focused on his lesbian daughter and is now in development hell.
    -Luke and Jessica (Defenders in general) were always a third or fourth rate team and never came close to cracking the elite IP.
    -Even Cloak and Dagger, who are a million times better characters in better stories and actually were written with a ton of chemistry (meaning the opposite of Synch and Laura), could never become more than c- or d-tier despite dozens of pushes and their own show. (Which didn't even have the stones to show them as a couple!)

No, it isn't to sell books like Claremont's fetishes. It is merely the writer's fetishes of what a hero or a heterosexual couple should look like, which is demonstrably not shared by the vast majority of comic book readers and viewers. And when we who don't share their fetishes tune out and don't spend their money on content that doesn't interest us, the writers and producers whine and moan how it's misogyny or bigotry or whatever. But that's a losing proposition because no amount haranguing about misogyny or homophobia or any other buzzword is actually going to make even one person spend their money on these books or movies.

The only bright spot...Disney turned itself into such a dumpster fire that you might get a new Disney board that finally understands this sooner than later. :c)
    So, to follow your narrative, when this new Disney board comes in the first thing they do make sure all these white guy fans don't have to read or see stories about black people cause well, they aren't white and therefore shouldn't have to be seen or portrayed in this medium. This what you're suggesting? Are you saying that white guys can't enjoy a well told story unless a white person is the main character?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So, to follow your narrative, when this new Disney board comes in the first thing they do make sure all these white guy fans don't have to read or see stories about black people cause well, they aren't white and therefore shouldn't have to be seen or portrayed in this medium. This what you're suggesting? Are you saying that white guys can't enjoy a well told story unless a white person is the main character?
    If you put it that way, Black Panther(Chad's last marvel movie) wouldn't have been wildly popular in the media. It wasn't just a movie black people watched; everybody watches it because it was a great MCU movie and one of the highest glossing movies of 2018. Disney had already disappointed me with how Finn been treated after The Last Jedi, but that's a different subject.... Even though, I'm not a T'challa fan. I strongly respect the character and that movie promoted him into an A lister. Some caucasian fans talk about T'challa and Chad after the movie surged.

X-men #30: 4 days to go and Hebert had just fought Adam and Eve Warlock, so this issue cover gives me the anticipation for a top tier confrontation. Duggan better not screw this up like he did three in a row with Ev and Monet barely having any moment of conversation with each other instead of more Jean and Scott relationship problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    That's always been the weird thing. Why does she come off better as Talon!? Duggan be weird sometimes.

I find myself wishing younger Laura took the codename Talon years ago honestly. It's a good one. And like Daken's codename of Fang too. Preferred Gabby as Honey Badger to Scout, though.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I find myself wishing younger Laura took the codename Talon years ago honestly. It's a good one. And like Daken's codename of Fang too. Preferred Gabby as Honey Badger to Scout, though.
    Not like being Wolverine has done much good for her lately.