Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't it all kind of connected though? All of the writing of MJ up to this point is culminating in this Jackpot book.
    That puts way too much emphasis on what is essentially a one-off tie-in to an event story by a different writer than the main book.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They eat it up because frankly, based on their reaction to Insomniac Games' Spider-Man series' MJ being "insufficiently attractive" to them, they're misogynists who don't need that much in the way of excuses or permission to hate and bash women, fictional or real, for whatever. There's no point in giving such people any attention or credence, and it's a shame that these social media algorithms that are designed to get as much engagement as possible with their platforms end up rewarding that kind of crap because that seems to be what gets people fired up.
    Yes, I understand its fuled in misogynism and I disagree with them entirely, but it's just sad to see that it spread like a virus and you see so many hateful comments. A lot of people were not given the full story, so it is misinformed. People really just think MJ hooked up with Paul in the time Peter was trying to save her and then had kids with him and left Peter in the dust. They were not given the full story.

Unfortunately there is no popular video to debunk the myths out there. Getting anything with the amount of views that the clickbait videos did would be nigh impossible.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    That puts way too much emphasis on what is essentially a one-off tie-in to an event story by a different writer than the main book.
    Yes Kevin, thank you....so much over thinking going on, about a one shot, so far...32 pages I think, it couldn't even live up to the negative expectations...

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Yes Kevin, thank you....so much over thinking going on, about a one shot, so far...32 pages I think, it couldn't even live up to the negative expectations...
    Looks like Celeste put in an easy out for the relationship

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Alcoholism?

Astonishing Member

I bet Paul doesn't agree with MJ superheroing. And I'd side with Paul on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Yes, I understand its fuled in misogynism and I disagree with them entirely, but it's just sad to see that it spread like a virus and you see so many hateful comments. A lot of people were not given the full story, so it is misinformed. People really just think MJ hooked up with Paul in the time Peter was trying to save her and then had kids with him and left Peter in the dust. They were not given the full story.

Unfortunately there is no popular video to debunk the myths out there. Getting anything with the amount of views that the clickbait videos did would be nigh impossible.
    To be honest even the full context doesn't come off better because she basically ditches Peter for this makeshift family she got stuck with and treats him as dispassionately as possible.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I would not be surprised...

Astonishing Member

JMD put an easy fix for Ben, even Wells did it with the Kafka helmet or having Jean Grey at an arm's lenght. It doesn't mean they will use it.

Bleeding Cool has some spoiler images from Jackpot, and any anxiety about Mary Jane Jackpot's agency?

spoilers:
    Paul put some kind of power limiter on her gauntlet thing to limit her "stronger" powers, while also minimizing her "weaker" ones, whatever that means. Also, I guess it confirms that the 3 skulls is certain death, if that wasn't confirmed already. Like, she knows about the limiter but it seems, again, really squicky for him to be in control of "her" powers.

And seeing her casually flying around the way she is in the book with the dialogue she's given just doesn't feel right. Like, at all.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    JMD put an easy fix for Ben, even Wells did it with the Kafka helmet or having Jean Grey at an arm's lenght. It doesn't mean they will use it.
    Big difference is chasm had no plans to be revisited and was given to someone else

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTorgo View Post
    Bleeding Cool has some spoiler images from Jackpot, and any anxiety about Mary Jane Jackpot's agency?

spoilers:
    Paul put some kind of power limiter on her gauntlet thing to limit her "stronger" powers, while also minimizing her "weaker" ones, whatever that means. Also, I guess it confirms that the 3 skulls is certain death, if that wasn't confirmed already. Like, she knows about the limiter but it seems, again, really squicky for him to be in control of "her" powers.

And seeing her casually flying around the way she is in the book with the dialogue she's given just doesn't feel right. Like, at all.
    end of spoilers
    Saw the spoilers. Jackpot basically feels like an original character the way she is written here. This does not feel like MJ at all.... "Mary Jane" in name only.

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm also betting Jackpot is going to need She-Hulk's help for all the legal trouble she and Felicia are going to get into in their mini, which is why she got her card here.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    And to think we thought that maybe the Spider-office might have learned something after the mainstream media backlash to fridging Kamala. Guess not!

I'm still guffawing at the Bleeding Cool article. Look, I was never going to pay money for this sight unseen, but I was sincerely hoping it wouldn't be an outright flop, execution wise. If this is all we get for MJ until the inevitable regime change, at least don't further drag the character deeper in the mud. But *can't stop laughing* *wipes tears of laughter from eyes* that dialogue is so stilted and unnatural. I haven't seen a scene so unintentionally mirth provoking of spoilers:
    a woman flying since Space Angel Leia.
    end of spoilers BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And I honestly thought the costume couldn't get uglier, but they proved me wrong. Again. They've given her pink/lavender sleeves. With a red and white costume. AAHHHH! My eyes! That thing is a crime against sight.

Really, the lesson is to never bet against the Spider-office when it comes to disappointment.

BTW I did a quick look around at YouTube New Comic Book Day chats today - but admittedly not an exhaustive survey - and I only saw one channel that was positive about Jackpot. Many didn't mention it (or ASM) at all, one channel had already read it and his one word review was "boring," and those that did mention it were not enthusiastic.

We'll see!
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-16-2024 at 06:29 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

spoilers:
    I'm really hoping the Jackpot/Black Cat mini has them both end up in the slammer with She-Hulk having to bail them out because that would just be a hilarious continuation of this plot and about what it deserves .
    end of spoilers