Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The reaction to the Wells ASM run is pretty bad, but the book is selling. And Marvel's sales expectations for Jackpot might be more modest than people are thinking.
    Jackpot’s a new untried property that’s alienated many of the people who might be interested in the concept. It’s a completely different situation to ASM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Jackpot isn't new and untried tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Jackpot’s a new untried property that’s alienated many of the people who might be interested in the concept. It’s a completely different situation to ASM.
    Which is why Marvel's expectations are probably modest.

But MJ is an established, well-loved character. So, new concept, but not a new character.

Critically this comic doesn't seem well-received but who knows what Marvel expects from this sales-wise, they already have a mini with Black Cat lined up.

I'm not sure if they're committed enough to this for a new writer though. I think Bronfman means well but I don't think she's used to writing mainstream Superhero comics and I don't think she really knows MJ that well as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Which is why Marvel's expectations are probably modest.

But MJ is an established, well-loved character. So, new concept, but not a new character.
    Except that Wells character assassinated MJ, by writing her completely OOC (just like Slott did back then) in his run and when he was done, he gave her to Bronfman like a used cloth, while Lowe probably told her to keep writing her like this. This is a completely different/new character here, not the same old MJ. And they think that because they make a one-shot and a mini about her, the book will sell - just like they put her on variant covers to keep the awful ASM run going for sales.
    Now don't get me wrong - I love the idea of MJ getting super powers and being a superhero (even if it's temporary), but the way she got them and the reason why she chose to do this is just ... it's a disservice to her character.
    Last edited by Konnik92; 01-22-2024 at 10:43 AM.

This feels like a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    Now don't get me wrong - I love the idea of MJ getting super powers and being a superhero
    I don't. I think it screws up the title more than anything to do with Paul.

Amazing Member

If they want to make this new Jackpot thing work for Mary Jane, they need a writer that's aware of her history. They can't just give it to some new writer as a their try out for future work. She's got a sister, cousin, and father out there. Ties to Tony Stark and Mysterio. She's had fans and stalkers and there's her days as a model and actress that they can mine for stories. Maybe move her out to California. Paper Doll's over there, I think, might be a good foil for MJ. They can also explore the status of the previous Jackpot characters, have they done that yet?

I understand people just want her to be married to Peter but I can also see this as a valid path for her character. I see it as Mary Jane has outgrown being a supporting character in the Spider-books, but the way some people talk about the marriage they sound like they want her to be the co-lead of the the flagship title but it's called Amazing Spider-Man, not Spidey & MJ. When they've given her a solo story, like Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man #25, she comes off engaging and able to potentially carry a title, just not the one she's been in for decades so I'm all for spinning her off and seeing what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post

I understand people just want her to be married to Peter but I can also see this as a valid path for her character. I see it as Mary Jane has outgrown being a supporting character in the Spider-books, but the way some people talk about the marriage they sound like they want her to be the co-lead of the the flagship title but it's called Amazing Spider-Man, not Spidey & MJ. When they've given her a solo story, like Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man #25, she comes off engaging and able to potentially carry a title, just not the one she's been in for decades so I'm all for spinning her off and seeing what happens.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but Jackpot is a one shot that is terribly received and most fans despise the whole status quo of MJ being a superhero with origins tied to a relationship with Paul, probably one of of the most hated characters in Spider-Man history. Saying MJ has outgrown Marvel's flagship character, the one with the most exposure and fans, is a sure way to diminish her exposure and role in the Marvel Universe. Jackpot is a huge downgrade for MJ compared to what she has been in the past. It's almost a slap in the face to her fans what they have done to her in this story arc (having her enter into a committed relationship with another man without ever breaking up with Peter - took less than a year! - and having half the internet hate her in this arc calling her a cheater). Meanwhile, MJ is Peter's wife in USM, which is the hottest new Spidey title that is currently sold out across the world and receiving high praise across fans. I don't think she has "outgrown" the role of Peter's main love interest any time soon.

Also, the whole "it's Amazing Spider-Man, not Spidey & MJ" argument you laid out falls flat considering historically we had 20 years of Amazing Spider-Man with MJ as his wife, and the name never needing changing to Spidey & MJ, and Superman and Lois are married, and it's still Superman.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-31-2024 at 07:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I read this not long after it came out. I'm not currently reading the ASM title and only cursory aware of Paul and MJ's situation via reading the threads and flipping through the books.
    My take was and correct me if I'm wrong, that MJ has tech not to unlike Rescue or any other type character(IM, Night Thrasher etc) and that is the limit of her powers.
    Am I missing some backstory where MJ has reflexes(beside not falling in heels on a catwalk) and stamina to take punches and exert at that level?

What ever became of the Jackpot that debuted in that Free Comic Book Day issue about 6-7yrs back?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I read this not long after it came out. I'm not currently reading the ASM title and only cursory aware of Paul and MJ's situation via reading the threads and flipping through the books.
    My take was and correct me if I'm wrong, that MJ has tech not to unlike Rescue or any other type character(IM, Night Thrasher etc) and that is the limit of her powers.
    Am I missing some backstory where MJ has reflexes(beside not falling in heels on a catwalk) and stamina to take punches and exert at that level?

What ever became of the Jackpot that debuted in that Free Comic Book Day issue about 6-7yrs back?
    There were two previous Jackpot’s.
    The first was a mother and wife, something happen to her and then the second Jackpot took over. That’s the one readers first saw on panel.
    That Jackpot died,

So the mother/wife took back over the Jackpot role.

Then later the Rose and Boomerang found out her identity, so they went to her apartment. Boomerang killed her husband in front of her and Rose was going to do the same to her daughter. Jackpot barely managed to get away from Boomerang and she beat the crap out of the Rose.

So she had to give up the Jackpot identity, and change her real name and daughter’s identity and move far away.

Boomerang later became Peter’s roommate and never mentioned about all that. How convenient.

That’s why the jackpot mantle was vacant for MJ now to take it.

I definitely think one of the biggest issues of this one-shot, beyond the status quo it's stuck with, is an inexperienced writer in terms of mainstream Superhero comics and whose grasp of the character doesn't extend beyond the current ASM era.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely think one of the biggest issues of this one-shot, beyond the status quo it's stuck with, is an inexperienced writer in terms of mainstream Superhero comics and whose grasp of the character doesn't extend beyond the current ASM era.
    Yup, Bronfman is known only for the IDW's MLP comics and that she was with Wells on the writing staff for the "She Hulk" series. It's actually how she might've got to write MJ as Jackpot - she wants to write superhero comics, she knows Wells and he introduces her to Lowe and the Spider-Office.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's what I felt also, but who would be a better writer to spearhead this direction for Mary Jane? When I wrote my post above, I was remembering DeMatteis having MJ reconcile with her father and sister during the Clone Saga or someone like Kurt Busiek who knows their comic continuity but guys from the old guard aren't gonna always be around. I'm out of the loop on Marvel's current crop of writers, does Marvel have anyone that would be a better fit? I only know Jed MacKay but he can't write everything

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    That's what I felt also, but who would be a better writer to spearhead this direction for Mary Jane? When I wrote my post above, I was remembering DeMatteis having MJ reconcile with her father and sister during the Clone Saga or someone like Kurt Busiek who knows their comic continuity but guys from the old guard aren't gonna always be around. I'm out of the loop on Marvel's current crop of writers, does Marvel have anyone that would be a better fit? I only know Jed MacKay but he can't write everything
    Gail Simone is writing future Marvel books so why not have her do it? She said she's wanted to write Mary Jane and she knows how to write sassy redhead Superheroes.