Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Looks like the ending of the issue was changed to setup something for issue 44. Would Wells be that bad to do another 31 thing. Gotta have another shocking thing happen
    Honestly, it’s not even worth speculating about. It’s guaranteed to be something dumb and illogical and out of character and contradict its own continuity and only exist to rage bait.

I’m so tired of this tune. The only response this book and the rest of the Wells’s run deserve is apathetic disdain. There is nothing interesting here, nothing worth putting in your brain. It’s not even so bad it’s good, it’s just the middest of the mid. Like the one YouTube channel said, it’s boring. That’s the only word to describe it.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-17-2024 at 12:32 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Honestly, it’s not even worth speculating about. It’s guaranteed to be something dumb and illogical and out of character and contradict its own continuity and only exist to rage bait.

I’m so tired of this tune. The only response Chamberpot and the rest of the Wells’s run deserve is apathetic disdain. There is nothing interesting here, nothing worth putting in your brain. It’s not even so bad it’s good, it’s just the middest of the mid.
    Don't forget Felicia gets a new love interest who will be written being a much better lover than Peter was

Astonishing Member

Don't forget Felicia gets a new love interest who will be written being a much better lover than Peter was
    Considering Bronfman writes Paul and MJ - and Peter and MJ - with all the chemistry of used tissues, i doubt that.

In fact, used tissues have more chemistry, so I apologize for maligning them.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-17-2024 at 12:22 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Considering Bronfman writes Paul and MJ - and Peter and MJ - with all the chemistry of used tissues, i doubt that.

In fact, used tissues have more chemistry, so I apologize for insulting them.
    I'm saying the relationship between Felicia and her new partner will be written better than anything they did with them in ASM for any of the 6-8 months they technically were together and did nothing

Astonishing Member

I'm saying the relationship between Felicia and her new partner will be written better than anything they did with them in ASM for any of the 6-8 months they technically were together and did nothing
    Fel and the new love interest might get more page time but the dialogue, characterization and pacing in this book are so clunky and tedious, you might wish for another mostly off screen “romance.”
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-17-2024 at 12:54 AM.

— Stan Lee

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    I'm... I...

What the actual hell are these people doing over in that office?!
    This is what happens when you have editors who I suspect don't actually edit the creative content of these books (apart from enforcing silly mandates) and hand the wheel over to writers who don't seem to be that well versed in the characters they're writing about. Like ASM itself can't stay consistent from one writer to the next under the same editorial team. (Hell it can barely stay consistent with same writer.)
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 01-17-2024 at 03:41 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    This is what happens when you have editors who I suspect don't actually edit the creative content of these books (apart from enforcing silly mandates) and hand the wheel over to writers who don't seem to be that well versed in the characters they're writing about. Like ASM itself can't stay consistent from one writer to the next under the same editorial team. (Hell it can barely stay consistent with same writer.)
    MJ is the Peter and Paul is the MJ

Fantastic Member

Of course editorial thinks the faulty bracelet is a worthwhile narrative tool, but why does she need to use it (Wayep?) Tell Paul, "Your russian roulette is dangerous, and I really want to be a super-hero for god knows what reason, so I'm going to call my competent friend (with whom I have a history) Tony Stark and ask for a suit of armor that works. Call me Rescue. Give your broken bracelet to Pepper Potts."

Quote Originally Posted by Jwyatt View Post
    Of course editorial thinks the faulty bracelet is a worthwhile narrative tool, but why does she need to use it (Wayep?) Tell Paul, "Your russian roulette is dangerous, and I really want to be a super-hero for god knows what reason, so I'm going to call my competent friend (with whom I have a history) Tony Stark and ask for a suit of armor that works. Call me Rescue. Give your broken bracelet to Pepper Potts."
    Right. Is it ever even explained why Chekhov's skulls are even there? Is it like a necessary impurity or something---take those glyphs off and the crap doesn't work?

Honestly, if something like that is introduced, one would assume that it has to hit, one of these days. Otherwise, what's the point?

Guess she did ok against her first super villain force them to retreat and save some lives in the process
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spectacular Member

Rabin did mark her on her wrist where the bracelet currently resides…

But it seems like things that may be possible clues/explanations turn out to be happy coincidences instead this run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Guess she did ok against her first super villain force them to retreat and save some lives in the process
    No, not really.

spoilers:
    First she helps Spider-Man with Armadillo. With some of the most forced dad joke quips ever. Then the two of them help She-Hulk with what looks like the Minotaur? Again with the forced, clunky quips. Then Francine shows up but Miles needs help so Spider-Man and She-Hulk leave (Peter: “be careful.” MJ: “That’s supposed to be my line. Now go!” And that’s the only exchange that even hints they know each other more than just acquaintances). Francine, who has the only semi-witty dialogue in the book, says what we’re all thinking about how asinine MJ’s costume and powers are, they get into a tussle, Francine wins the first round, MJ tries to trick her through acting and Francine sees right through because MJ’s bad at acting (:roll eyes).

Francine then LEAVES to go find the rest of the Syndicate. She doesn’t retreat, she thinks MJ is a waste of time (you and me both, Francine). Then MJ goes after her with again with the clunkiest, hamfisted quips and forces Francine to the ground - at which point Francine causes a bridge to start to break, threatening the lives of the people on the bridge. Which she wouldn’t have done if MJ hadn’t gone after her. So MJ goes to save bridge and lets Francine go - so now the bridge is destroyed AND Electro escapes, great work, MJ. Then Spidey and Jen show up ut of nowhere to help save the bridge, and Peter decides to out MJ’s secret identity to Jen (and anyone who might still be nearby) for funsies, I guess? The writing is super forced.

Oh, and apparently the watch lets MJ can fly now, no matter what whatever power she has. Because the first power she pulls is “vines” and we see vines coming from her hands but she also speeds through the sky like she’s Iron Man which, last I checked, is something vines don’t do. Then she pulls ice, and that also allows her to fly. Then Francine hits her watch and MJ starts to fall. Then after asking Paul to let her have more power, because she has to ask for permission from a man, she draws random comic book-energy waves because that’s what she needs and starts flying agin.

They’ve taken away the randomness - Paul has supposed made it so she won’t draw the useless powers and can only draw the really powerful ones when he takes off the limiter, which is all sorts of icky implications re: women and their agency being limited by men - and the three skulls is also negated as long as Paul controls her watch through his tech.

Paul is presented as the man in the chair who worries about MJ when her tech goes offline or he sees a bridge fall on her, y’know, the baseline of human caring, but he is also supportive, people looking for tension won’t find it. They also won’t find anything else, MJ and Paul have big, “I live and work with my gay best friend” energy. But then, Peter and MJ are also written like former acquaintances meeting up at the 10 year high school reunion. Hard to tell, because the writing is so clunky, if the vibes are meant or not.
    end of spoilers

— Stan Lee

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

That's a good point...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTorgo View Post
    Right. Is it ever even explained why Chekhov's skulls are even there? Is it like a necessary impurity or something---take those glyphs off and the crap doesn't work?

Honestly, if something like that is introduced, one would assume that it has to hit, one of these days. Otherwise, what's the point?
    MacKay was the one who introduced the three skulls in his Dark Web mini. A theory is that he meant to use the skulls to get rid of the watch at the end of his story so he could put MJ back in the toy box, but editorial decided to see if they squeeze more money out by using the watch to make MJ a superhero.

The theory makes sense when you consider having a random watch dependent on luck works in a story with Fel, whose bad luck powers would affect it and cause some conflict for MacKay’s story. But a random watch that can kill you makes no sense out of that mini. So to make it work here, spoilers:
    Paul put limits on the watch and he monitors it and MJ as the man in the chair but that makes it worse, because now MJ has a man watching her every move which is creepy and she has to ask for permission to use her powers as she wants to use them. This also takes away any tension from the watch, because now it’s just a power up that seems to give MJ the same power level no matter what form the powers come in. Oh, and flight.
    end of spoilers

It’s made clear the watch isn’t powered by the mark or has anything to do with MJ or even the Mayan magic, it’s somehow powered by spoilers:
    electricity, as the watch gives Francine a boost
    end of spoilers. Anything even remotely original about the watch was removed.

The book is written as a faux empowerment “Superheroing is magic” My Little Pony lesson, but MJ’s not empowered if she has to ask for permission. spoilers:
    And she intends to go home to Paul to get her limiter fixed at the end of the book.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-17-2024 at 06:50 AM.

— Stan Lee

MacKay was the one who introduced the three skulls in his Dark Web mini. A theory is that he meant to use the skulls to get rid of the watch at the end of his story so he could put MJ back in the toy box, but editorial decided to see if they squeeze more money out by using the watch to make MJ a superhero.

The theory makes sense when you consider having a random watch dependent on luck works in a story with Fel, whose bad luck powers would affect it and cause some conflict for MacKay’s story. But a random watch that can kill you makes no sense out of that mini. So to make it work here, spoilers:
    Paul put limits on the watch and he monitors it and MJ as the man in the chair but that makes it worse, because now MJ has a man watching her every move which is creepy and she has to ask for permission to use her powers as she wants to use them. This also takes away any tension from the watch, because now it’s just a power up that seems to give MJ the same power level no matter what form the powers come in. Oh, and flight.
    end of spoilers

It’s made clear the watch isn’t powered by the mark or has anything to do with MJ or even the Mayan magic, it’s somehow powered by spoilers:
    electricity, as the watch gives Francine a boost
    end of spoilers. Anything even remotely original about the watch was removed.

The book is written as a faux empowerment “Superheroing is magic” My Little Pony lesson, but MJ’s not empowered if she has to ask for permission. spoilers:
    And she’s going home to Paul to get her limiter fixed at the end of the book.
    end of spoilers

She said she'll get it looked at but someone called for help so it's more she's not going to get the chance since she's also going to be in the big fight coming up