Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have never seen Yara talk like that. I mean, the attitude is kind of similar but also portrayed excessively. But King has this weird thing about Amazon dialogue.

A protege is basically a sidekick and Cassie did sidekick stuff with her.

I guess that's fair but I think canon-wise they still spent time as partners.
    As I understand it, a protege, who hangs out and gets into trouble with the hero, all the time -Bucky, Robin, Sandy, etc -is typically called a sidekick, in superhero comics.

A good example of a famous sidekick, who wasn't her superheroic partner's protege, was the infallible Etta Candy...the Golden Age one. Pistol-packing, fearless cowgirl Etta was Diana's first true Wonder Girl, even without Amazon lineage, superhuman powers and a Cosmo figure, ..and every subatomic universe Wonder Woman jumped into, Etta was right behind her! WW creator, Dr. Marston, didn't present Etta as being limited in her abilities or ambitions, by her being morbidly overweight or appearance, but, instead, showed her to be every bit the action partner, Robin or Bucky was, ..and she was more of a partner, than Donna or Cassie have ever been. No contest.

PERFECT IMPERFECTION: WHY LESS WILL NEVER BE MORE, WITH WONDER WOMAN'S ETTA CANDY!

Anyway, while Yara is salty and fun, I think writers have to watch it with her, because some of us have Diana on such a high pedestal. Don't tease the Great and Holy Diana. LOL
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-13-2024 at 12:41 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member

an-5/
    Wow, that dialogue between the Wonders is...rough. "Chattering?" Also King doesn't know how to write Yara.

Is there any real reason for Giganta to have a giant cell? Would she want to be giant 24/7? Shouldn't you be negating her powers?

Why will they not move past this Circe design? Is it out of respect for Rucka/Evely? I'm not sure Sampere could come up with something better but still. Oh, I guess the pigs are a mythological Circe reference.

"I did not have a sidekick" - even though canonically Donna and Cassie were still your sidekicks.
    To be fair, Donna and Cassie felt like sidekicks in name only most of the time,they don't interact with Diana as much as they should.
    Last edited by king81992; 01-13-2024 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Because it's more visually impressive to draw her in a giant cell than a regular sized one.
    Also, it was mentioned that she had " grown".... So maybe something in her power set changed, or changed her.

Can you force Giganta to shrink down? I like to think that she stays in giant form just annoy and inconvenience the heck out of her jailers. Force them to spend billions of dollars constructing a massive cell lol.

Oh, I guess the pigs are a mythological Circe reference.
    Also her turning Steel into a pig is very appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Can you force Giganta to shrink down? I like to think that she stays in giant form just annoy and inconvenience the heck out of her jailers. Force them to spend billions of dollars constructing a massive cell lol.
    I was just gonna say "because the giant cell is cool" but this answer is funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    You would think they'd have power-dampeners because it feels like it would be way harder to keep her contained like that.

You would think they'd have power-dampeners because it feels like it would be way harder to keep her contained like that.
    Which may go back to my point. They mention that " she's grown" , so maybe her being in giant form is something out of her control

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Which may go back to my point. They mention that " she's grown" , so maybe her being in giant form is something out of her control
    It is in her control. We just saw her in Beast World choose to grow

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Could be as simple as the power-dampeners just simply scale her powers more normally and don't let her grow or shrink so she is stuck in the size she have them on?

Fantastic Member

I liked the issue, but not a lot happened. Happy it ended like it did was my hope, but I did think it wouldn't happen, got fooled by Sovvy's text lol.
    It was clear from the other villains that Sovereigns view impacted his lines and thinking about the villains. Liked that he showed up to Grail himself. His reasoning at first seems to could have worked for Circe, but as he said she is unpredictable.
    Also it was **** talking with Yara which was shown with how Diana acted with the other Wonder Girls. She adjusted her personality in the context to fit them and the situation. I think Diana should have won the two first contests much faster though. The Cassie one should have lasted like two seconds, not have been a struggle.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I haven't read the entire issue yet(I just woke up) but I did read the page where Angle Man is re-introduce and wow........just wow. What King did there with him is just stunning. Anyone who reads this will realize he's far from the joke some folks have made him out to be.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I haven't read the entire issue yet(I just woke up) but I did read the page where Angle Man is re-introduce and wow........just wow. What King did there with him is just stunning. Anyone who reads this will realize he's far from the joke some folks have made him out to be.
    Yeah if King uses Angle Man good here and give him a good few issues his status could rise a lot. And with that backstory he would seem to have an assured part in DC.
    I could see King use it later in the run with maybe a Darkseid arc.

Oh man, thank god I read this issue at home and not work given Grail's introduction.

Think this might be my favorite issue so far. Don't think there's been an issue like this that showcased/built up this many Wonder Woman characters in a long while. Not the biggest fan of the Wonder Girls but thought they were all done rather well here.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-16-2024 at 06:29 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This was my favorite issue so far. The villain stuff was great, but so were all the scenes with the Wonder Girls. Donna was my favorite (and probably King's too), her challenge was perfect. I loved that King just wrote them as being adopted sisters and didn't get into the rest of the nonsense, and firmly stated that Hippolyta is Donna's mother as she should be. And Clark > Bruce lol.

The pre-Crisis elements are in place for some of these villains. Psycho's backstory with Marva is canon for this run at least, Giganta has the possibility of her gorilla origin, and King brought back the factoid from the Bronze Age that the Angler came from Darkseid.

The Swan being Vanessa is disappointing but not surprising. At least she screwed around with Steel. And I think after this arc, King will give some (or all) of these villains their own arcs, so we have some hope Vanessa won't be reduced to a grunt for the whole run.

Extraordinary Member

Surprised Vandal Savage hasn’t taken more advantage of his son Angle Man before, with that reveal of his power.