Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    No it's Latin and it spelled correct. Because they are doing contests.
    Do you speak latin? Explain to me the etymology of the words, please.

Also, i doubt Tom King actually tried to make Yara speak in latin instead of portuguese. And since they make a lot of mistake when translating portuguese, i just think that is most likely the case.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I just cant help but laugh at Yara/Donna in these mahestic outfits and then theres...Cassie. But nonetheless, seeing the 3 together, I LOVE IT. I need more of it. And only took us a couple years into Yaras creation for it to happen
    It's funny how Cassie's casual clothes look better than her costume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I liked Psycho just inviting himself to the "kill Wonder Woman mission", I like the idea not even other villains can stand him.

I think it's been pretty consistent that virtually no one likes working with Psycho unless they have a screw loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The back up is still my favorite part but this was one of the best main issues so far even if I still feel like there's far too much telling and not showing. The whole gathering of the villains bit has definitely been done to death but I feel like it would have been better to see first hand rather than have it narrated. Because we didn't see or hear these villains reacting to being invited to fight Diana we don't really get a sense of their personalities so it comes across as stilted and flat.
    I don't think we want Tom King writing that much character dialogue.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Do you speak latin? Explain to me the etymology of the words, please.

Also, i doubt Tom King actually tried to make Yara speak in latin instead of portuguese. And since they make a lot of mistake when translating portuguese, i just think that is most likely the case.
    I don't speak Latin no, but I have taken classes and you can search it up real easy. Just try google translate. And of course he would. It fits the theme of the issue. Yara and Diana are doing a contest/challenge of archery in a style that is from ancient Rome where they spoke Latin. Also Yara is born and raised in the US she wasn't raised with Portuguese it makes very little sense for her to speak Portuguese in random sentences than someone born and raised with Portuguese (or Spanish)
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 01-16-2024 at 01:56 PM.

I really liked this issue, and the art is still on top.
    The wonderful girls were portrayed very well, I like the affection towards Cassie and Donna that is not shown with Yara.
    I really like Giganta and, apparently, Vanessa was falling in love with Diana?
    I'm curious how they will continue to develop Angle Man and I really hope that the next issue is the end of this arc and that the Sovereign is put in his cage on Paradise Island and we never see him again.
    What did I not like?
    I don't like that Circe is on that team of villains, I don't like that Grail is considered above Circe, I don't like that Circe can be so reachable, I don't like the image of Circe alongside the other villains.
    I don't like the Back Up Story either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's portuguese, but they spelled "ligeira" wrong. It means "A small advantage".
    It makes no sense for the brazilian woman not to speak portuguese.
    It means "A Small Advantage" in Latin as it is spelled as well though.

Was it a misspelling that was meant to be Portuguese? Possibly, as Yara is Brazilian...but we can't say for sure.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I don't speak Latin no, but I have taken classes and you can search it up real easy. Just try google translate. And of course he would. It fits the theme of the issue. Yara and Diana are doing a contest/challenge of archery in a style that is from ancient Rome where they spoke Latin. Also Yara is born and raised in the US she wasn't raised with Portuguese it makes very little sense for her to speak Portuguese in random sentences than someone born and raised with Portuguese (or Spanish)
    Also Tom King is a white man who believe himself to be smart. They love sprouting Latin to show how smart they are.
    For you to be Brazilian, you have to be born in Brazil. She appears as a young child, in Brazil, in the first issue of her book.
    Also, here is her randomly talking portuguese. Wrongly, may i add.

And i tried google translate, i didn't match. If you try "Uma ligeria vantagem" in Latin to translate to english, google will first correct "ligeria" to "ligeira" and than ask you if you want to actually translate from portuguese. I also went to the Latin-English dictionary and there is no "Uma" or "Ligeria" or "Vantagem" words in there.

I went one step further and ask chatgpt and the response was

"No, the expression 'uma ligeira vantagem' is not in Latin. In Latin, it would be translated as 'levi aemulatio' or 'levi praestantia.' 'Ligeira vantagem' is a phrase in Portuguese or another Romance language."

It means "A Small Advantage" in Latin as it is spelled as well though.

Was it a misspelling that was meant to be Portuguese? Possibly, as Yara is Brazilian...but we can't say for sure.
    Is it, tho? Neither google or chatgpt give me "ligeria" as a latin word. They give me "Levi".

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I'm enjoying the back up and Trinity. Her adventures with J/D are fun but her world seems so small with only interacting with them. Of course this is just meant to build them up as Trinitys "Trinity" but i think she'd more well rounded with spending an issue with the other Wonders

Fantastic Member

For you to be Brazilian, you have to be born in Brazil. She appears as a young child, in Brazil, in the first issue of her book.

And i tried google translate, i didn't match. If you try "Uma ligeria vantagem" in Latin to translate to english, google will first correct "ligeria" to "ligeira" and than ask you if you want to actually translate from portuguese. I also went to the Latin-English dictionary and there is no "Uma" or "Ligeria" or "Vantagem" words in there.

"No, the expression 'uma ligeira vantagem' is not in Latin. In Latin, it would be translated as 'levi aemulatio' or 'levi praestantia.' 'Ligeira vantagem' is a phrase in Portuguese or another Romance language."

Is it, tho? Neither google or chatgpt give me "ligeria" as a latin word. They give me "Levi".
    It is yes.

Skjermbilde 2024-01-16 kl. 19.39.07.jpg

Sorry I just ment raised not born.
    And isn't she only speaking Portuguese there because she is talking to the Brazilian Gods (who she shouldn't be speaking Portuguese to, but that is something else) in Brazil?

Google translate could certainly be wrong but it says Ligeria is the Latin word for lighter.

Again, it could very well be a misspelling but it could be intentional. I'm not a linguist so I'm not really qualified to say either way.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 01-16-2024 at 11:55 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Cassie says Diana got her powers from her mom and she straight from Zeus...so the clay origin is settled. Now the question is the parentage of Cassie...is Zeus still grandfather or father?
    Cassie seriously needs a costume. She admits to having been a tomboy graduating to princess because of her admiration of Diana. Soooo she needs to look the part at least in costume.
    I agree that Diana could have taken out Yara and Cassie much more quickly than she did....maybe she was just toying with them and then she was like ok...game over I win.
    DONNA PLAYING VIDEO GAMES! That was something new that I dont think I ever considered but find it absolutely perfect...she lived with Vic, Gar, Roy...of course she plays video games!
    Angle Man will become the new Kite Man. He will be King's pet villain. I'm not even mad.
    Circe seriously needs a new look. Sharon Osborn is not a good look for her...fits, but not a good look.
    The one thing I did question...they give Deloris the opportunity to kill Wonder Woman....she's never been depicted as someone who wanted to kill Diana has she? I thought of her as more a wrong place wrong time type of villain not necessarily one who has a grudge against Diana. Again, I'm not mad...I'm just not sure of the motivation.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I'm enjoying the back up and Trinity. Her adventures with J/D are fun but her world seems so small with only interacting with them. Of course this is just meant to build them up as Trinitys "Trinity" but i think she'd more well rounded with spending an issue with the other Wonders
    The back up with Trinity continues to be my favorite part of the book by a country mile. I'd read a whole book with her playing with Jon and Damian.

DC's attempts to connect Yara to her culture have always been a little...inconsistent.

It is yes.

Skjermbilde 2024-01-16 kl. 19.39.07.jpg

Sorry I just ment raised not born.
    Well, if you try the other way around (a small advantage from English to Latin), it gives you a rather different answer. And since i can't find the word Ligeria anywhere else on google and ChatGPT say it's not a latin word, i will keep my theory of being a misspelled portuguese word cause it makes more sense for me.

And isn't she only speaking Portuguese there because she is talking to the Brazilian Gods (who she shouldn't be speaking Portuguese to, but that is something else) in Brazil?
    No, she was talking in english just before that scene.

Google translate could certainly be wrong but it says Ligeria is the Latin word for lighter.

Again, it could very well be a misspelling but it could be intentional. I'm not a linguist so I'm not really qualified to say either way.
    Yeah, me neither, but i seen a lot of incorrect portuguese expressions in comics before. And it's also much easier to translate from english to portuguese just to throw in a sentence than it's from english to latin.

The funny part is that if you googled "Ligeria Latin", the top results are the page of this issue on Twitter and this very own thread.
    Last edited by Drako; 01-16-2024 at 12:18 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    DC's attempts to connect Yara to her culture have always been a little...inconsistent.
    Yes very much so. It was a mistake to force Joelle Jones to move her to the US because no Brazilian creator wanted to write her ongoing. Jones probably would have written a badly Yara from Brazil, but at least other writers could have fixed it easier and it wouldn't be so inconsistent.

Fantastic Member

Well, if you try the other way around (a small advantage from English to Latin), it gives you a rather different answer. And since i can't find the word Ligeria anywhere else on google and ChatGPT say it's not a latin word, i will keep my theory of being a misspelled portuguese word cause it makes more sense for me.

No, she was talking in english just before that scene.

Yeah, me neither, but i seen a lot of incorrect portuguese expressions on comics before. And it's also much easier to translate from english to portuguese just to throw in a sentence than it is latin.

The funny part is that if you googled "Ligeria Latin", the top results are the page of this issue on Twitter and this very own thread.
    Yeah no reason to discuss this further you think what you think and I will think what I think. We will probably never have an answer anyway.