Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Agreed. Many people crap on the Silver and Bronze Age eras (and not just Superman's) but have read one or two stories, if any at all.
    And I don’t blame them, some of them are a tough read, the words, the art, the whole package feels off sometimes, but that still happens. Nostalgia definitely can cloud someone’s judgement of old comics but so can recency bias with new comics.

Anyways, Crisis on Infinite Earth’s I would argue one legacy, the whole cinematic Miles Morales Spider-Man experience. That’s could be a chapter from Crisis on Infinite Earths. Maybe even Everything Everywhere All at Once and the Loki series all owe something to crisis.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    We also have Elliot S! Maggin's stories "Must There be a Superman?", "The Einstein Connection" and "the Luthor Nobody Knows" among others (and his novels). And the Phantom Zone miniseries by Steve Gerber. There is also the Legion of Superheroes having their peak of popularity during pre-Crisis and they were essentially a Superman tie in book. ay.
    Thanks for remembering those Siege Perilous. Those were good stories, and Maggin is underrated as a Superman writer. I enjoyed him.

--jthree

Fantastic Member

Just curious. One of my favorite Silver Age Superman stories was the four part "Superman, Get out of My Life," storyline, which I just loved. Time or Newsweek even included the panels where Clark and Lois are watching tv late night. That four parter led to Clark actually proposing to Lois, (and she turned him down when he couldn't tell her, he was the Man of Steel). My how fickle Lois was at the time. I think Martin Pasko write the storyline. It's my all-time favorite Clark/Lois romance storyline. Those were the days Clark/Superman pursed a relationship with Ms. Lane without telling her that he was one and the same. Anyway, for those of you fans who remember the "Superman, Get Out of My Life" storyline and subsequent, and tell me what you thought of it?

--just curious about what others thought.

--jthree

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think that is part of a saga called “Who Took The Súper Out of Superman?” It’s a lost Superman classic and one of the greatest explorations of the Superman Clark Kent identity. I love that run of Superman comics, from 250-400? Terra Man, Vartox, the Galactic Golem, the return of the Parasite, so many great lost Superman classics. This era had battles with Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, and two amazing team ups with Spider-Man. The Muhammad Ali team up! DC has to publish Bronze Age Superman while the fans are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    And I don’t blame them, some of them are a tough read, the words, the art, the whole package feels off sometimes, but that still happens. Nostalgia definitely can cloud someone’s judgement of old comics but so can recency bias with new comics.

Anyways, Crisis on Infinite Earth’s I would argue one legacy, the whole cinematic Miles Morales Spider-Man experience. That’s could be a chapter from Crisis on Infinite Earths. Maybe even Everything Everywhere All at Once and the Loki series all owe something to crisis.
    With all due respect, don't presume that nostalgia has anything to do with my appraisal of the Silver and Bronze Age versions of Superman. No one can argue that there are weak stories during those eras, but the majority of them (especially the Silver Age) are among the greatest superhero comic books in the history of the medium and established Superman more than a great deal of what's followed.

alan-moore-on-supermans-mythology-v0-i6wppsrct6fa1.jpg

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I think that is part of a saga called “Who Took The Súper Out of Superman?” It’s a lost Superman classic and one of the greatest explorations of the Superman Clark Kent identity. I love that run of Superman comics, from 250-400? Terra Man,.
    Thank you for saying that its "one of the greatest explorations of the Superman Clark Kent identity." I loved it, and it explained things well. (Okay, so I thought so). Johnny, do you think Byrne and subsequent Superman writers diminished this aspect of the Superman mythos? when they had Lois "embrace" the Clark Kent part of Superman. IMHO, it added a bit of humor, when Lois couldn't recognize Clark for Superman, when he's only wearing glasses. And in my interpretation, she knew deep down that Clark was the Man of Steel, but she didn't want to admit it to herself.

Again, what did you think Johnny Thunders!?

My favorite writers during the Bronze Age were Martin Pasko & Gerry Conway. Both tended to do stories where Superman was physically threatened. That was always nice. Pasko did a fairly long story that involved Metallo & Skull that I loved. By long it was probably 3 or 4 issues! That was pretty long back then. I enjoyed Bates & Maggie a lot so no knock on them. The period after the Byrne reboot was probably more consistent but the when I think of Superman, I usually think of the 70’s.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

1. Endless crossover events in which the multiverse is either in danger or somehow involved
    2. Barry's death and how he was unnecessarily resurrected
    3. The Monitor(s)
    4. The cover image of Superman holding Supergirl's dead body

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Hawkword the mini-series was amazing. The ongoing series that followed was just okay -- and got by for a while on the momentum of the mini-series. John Ostrander is an amazing writer, but I didn't love the update on the Hawks. The silver age duo was more interesting, IMHO. The Green Arrow series following Longbow Hunters was pretty good for a while, but also got tired after a while -- especially when Grell refused to let Ollie and Dinah be a superheroes.
    My main beef with Longbow Hunters and the follow-up series is how Dinah was treated as a damsel in distress and maimed.

Astonishing Member

Especially because it forced the creative team on Justice League to take Dinah out of membership so she could be assaulted and basically do nothing in Green Arrow's series. I get that Grell wanted to do a realistic take on Green Arrow, but he did nothing of interest with Black Canary. In fact, he did just the opposite. Longbow Hunters looked nice, but the story doesn't hold up -- and his treatment of Black Canary is particularly troublesome for me.

Amazing Member

I believe the legacy of Crisis is the screwed up DC of today. I believe this should have happened:
    1)should had only COIE kept the multiverse eliminated some earths brought just a few like Earth4
    2)Shouldn’t have Millie’s Supergirl Should have killed Earth2 Superman instead first great hero goes out in blaze of glory Power Girl
    would take his place solves the problems they have with her Keep Supergirl had good series going maybe could focus a little more
    On her
    3) Superboy Prime should have went with Superman Earth1 Could been raised by Kent’s who came back And he might have been
    the inspiration for the LSH
    4) Could still have Zero Hour as a after effect of COIE
    5) Either the Monitor survived or a new one takes his place doesn’t have to be from same race can be some other cosmic being
    They create an “Exiles” like team or teams whose job is to help settle down the healing multiverse

Astonishing Member

The concept of the Monitor was interesting. I recall that he was also supplying weapons to villains for some reason -- not sure it was explained. It's too bad DC dropped it after Crisis.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The concept of the Monitor was interesting. I recall that he was also supplying weapons to villains for some reason -- not sure it was explained. It's too bad DC dropped it after Crisis.
    From New Teen Titans Annual #2 (1982), the Monitor was supposedly testing the abilities of Meta-Humans. Since people like that only exist on Earth. This was supposedly going to be a Titans only storyline. Where the Monitor would recruit them for a mission. Then Secret Wars 1984 happened. A Marvel Universe Mega Crossover. With NTT being DC’s best selling title at the time. The NTT story was spun into COIE. As a way for DC to use their entire character roster. The reboot of their entire line came as they wrote and released it month by month.

DC taking another cue from Marvel. That “nothing boosts sales like a new #1 issue”. DC repeated this with the New 52 and Rebirth.