Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default What is Crisis on Infinite Earths Legacy

What do you think will be Crisis on Infinite Earth's legacy today?

My opinion, in the grand scheme, while I still have fond memories of the story, it's one main earth idea is pretty much undone. The Multiverse has been back since 52. We are far from having only one Superman on the main earth, let alone the Multiverse. It seems we are in a more cluttered continuity than even early 80s DC was at the time.

I think that more and more people are accepting the fact that it was original sin that started the destruction of DC universe.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

A financial necessity that created more problems than it fixed. That's the best I can say about it. It came out at a time when there were no good options.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think that more and more people are accepting the fact that it was original sin that started the destruction of DC universe.
    Agreed. 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    A financial necessity that created more problems than it fixed. That's the best I can say about it. It came out at a time when there were no good options.
    I accept this to be true.

COIE saved DC by destroying it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Crisis did save DC comics. The problems came latter with lax editors letting writers reintroduce pre-Crisis elements in a very sloppy ways. Then DC's editorial refusing to just reintroduce a new multiverse with set rules and instead coming up with any way they could to make it more complicated than it ever was with stuff like Hypertime and Dark Multiverses when just reintroducing the Multiverse with a few set rules in place would have solved 99.9% of the confusion.

Crisis was an inflextion point for DC in more ways than just creatively. Refocused the characters and made them relevant again against a Marvel competitor who would had made them to be forgoten if not for the crisis. Crisis was the pivotal mometn when DC had to face the disyuntive of change or die.

Did commit mistakes? Did lost a lot of possible good ideas? Yes, but the positives were more than the negatives.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Crisis was an inflextion point for DC in more ways than just creatively. Refocused the characters and made them relevant again against a Marvel competitor who would had made them to be forgoten if not for the crisis. Crisis was the pivotal mometn when DC had to face the disyuntive of change or die.

Did commit mistakes? Did lost a lot of possible good ideas? Yes, but the positives were more than the negatives.
    The positives outweigh the negatives?

That's a matter of opinion.

I feel the positives are in the past and the negatives are in the present with accumulated interest.

The years inmediately following COIE were the arguably the best ones in DC history, so it's hard to say it was a mistake.

If Jim Shooter had not been EIC of Marvel, I'm not sure COIE would have ever happened, or at least not how we got it
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    The years inmediately following COIE were the arguably the best ones in DC history, so it's hard to say it was a mistake.
    Agree with this.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Chaos On Infinite Earths

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    disagree with this.

It's easy to say it was a mistake.

All I do is look at the aftermath of COIE...that we are still dealing with today...just 39 years laters.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 01-13-2024 at 01:11 PM.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Its legacy is endless reboots.

Also, the multiverse has been back since Infinite Crisis.
    Last edited by blunt_eastwood; 01-19-2024 at 08:30 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Crisis did save DC comics. The problems came latter with lax editors letting writers reintroduce pre-Crisis elements in a very sloppy ways. Then DC's editorial refusing to just reintroduce a new multiverse with set rules and instead coming up with any way they could to make it more complicated than it ever was with stuff like Hypertime and Dark Multiverses when just reintroducing the Multiverse with a few set rules in place would have solved 99.9% of the confusion.
    Zero Hunter has the right of it. Batman was on a sustained upswing, but almost every other one of DC's major brands was in trouble. Their best sellers were heavily continuity-dependent titles that weren't an easy onboard for new readers, and names almost anyone would recognize were weighed down by their history rather than enriched by it.

Personally, I think DC could have retooled without burning everything to the ground first. The Batman titles did it in 1969. However, Wolfman and Perez may have been right in thinking a late 80s reader wasn't going to swallow a soft-reboot as readily as a cusp-Bronze Age fan had done.

It did motivate some new and exciting talent to come aboard and do some cool stuff. Flash wasn't only exciting because it was the fulfillment of a sidekick's potential, but because the stories were very different than Barry's adventures. Superman had a whole different vibe with Ma and Pa Kent to talk with about his struggles.

Assuming we couldn't cold boot the whole thing b/c Titans and LoSH were too lucrative, I can only see 1 thing they should not have done: Remove Wonder Woman from the Golden Age. She could have been the continuity piece, and what Perez did with the relaunch couldn't have been set in 1942 could have fit into a 1980s return story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Its Legacy is endless reboots.

Also, the multiverse has been back since Infinite Crisis.
    Multiverse was back well before that, with Hypertime in the late 90s, and alternate universes were already a thing in the early 90s and late 80s as well, with Elseworlds being an entire sub-line of stories DC published; Infinite Crisis’s addition, much like the current situation, was to suggest that “favored” earths and realities were fully present somewhere in the universe as they’d been Pre-Crisis, which had been neither explicit nor forbidden beforehand.

And while I would agree that reboots were a major part of COIE’s legacy, I think that COIE’s legacy was also, ironically cementing legacy, chronological growth, and progress at the same time,

DC was so inconsistent on the specific mission statement of COIE, but so loaded with storytelling talent at all levels, that some franchises emerged with no history, serious potential chaos, and a complete reboot (Wonder Woman, Superman, Hawkman, etc.), treating COIE as a completely new beginning, but others emerged with their history enriched, minor adjustments only or better integrated major changes that didn’t stop but instead fast-tracked the “momentum” of the Bronze Age (Batman, Flash, Green Lantern), treating COIE as an optional opportunity.

I’d also argue that parts of the general DCU world got richer or poorer as well - in particular, making the JSA the JLA’s predecessor was 100% a great idea, though that’s because of this argument I want to make…

Reboots were a long-established aspect of DC already, thanks to Julie Schwartz’s relaunch at the start of the Silver Age.

The very idea of the Silver Age separating itself from the Golden Age and the DC multiverse *was* a reboot idea, ultimately, and many of the problems and benefits that plagued/blessed the New 52, Rebirth, and the current books were present with the introduction of Earth 2 as well.

COIE simply redid the stuff that Schwartz had done, in a similarly inconsistent fashion.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP