Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Grimm

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Default Grimm

Well, since there was consistent and healthy discussion on the show in the before-times, and since I just watched the latest episode, I figured it was time to bring this one back.

Trubel is playing out more interesting and less hokey than I had feared. My wife brought up a good point I hadn't thought of. She is bringing a completely different dynamic to the show than the core cast who are all older, BFFs, getting married and so on. Here comes this young, punk, bad-attitude outsider to kind of give them something else to deal with. It seems like there might be some good to go along with the risk, and the prospect of two grimms in Portland on a semi-permanent basis is interesting. I'm wondering if she will be a long term addition or a gruesome aspect of the finale plot.

I like Trubuel. I'd long been hankering for another Grimm—you know, NOT Nick's mom—to finally show up...and a lady-Grimm at that. However, I'd had in mind one more experienced than Nick though sympathetic to his way of doing things. But Trubel's good too. I also appreciate the friction she creates between Nick and Juliette. I'm not a Juliette hater. Actually, I quite like her as a character and always appreciate it when the show-writers decide to do more with her, since she's often the smartest and most reasonable person in any room. But...I really have never liked Nick and her together. They've never made a very convincing couple, and they've never worked through adversity very well. I love that Trubel called Juliette out on it.

I have no idea what the long-term plan is with the character, but I hope whether or not she sticks around that she permanently upsets the status quo for the other characters. Even if she dies or is otherwise removed, I hope they can't go back to the way it was.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"The Inheritance" was a pretty good episode. Trubel fits right in to team Grimm. The preview for next week's finale looks great.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

All these recent episodes have been really good, and it just makes me wish they did more with the Grimm mythology throughout the season. When was the last time anyone even mentioned a key?

I'm not sure I like where this plan of Adelind's is going...probably into squick territory...but the fact that she attacked Renard means she needs to be put down. Quickly, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    Trubel is playing out more interesting and less hokey than I had feared. My wife brought up a good point I hadn't thought of. She is bringing a completely different dynamic to the show than the core cast who are all older, BFFs, getting married and so on. Here comes this young, punk, bad-attitude outsider to kind of give them something else to deal with.
    I like it, and I like her. My only problem with Trubel is this dynamic is shaping into Nick telling her to stay put, her disobeying, and then her ending up saving someone. Makes Nick look less competent. I'd prefer it if she got over her head and Nick had to bail her out more often.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    All these recent episodes have been really good, and it just makes me wish they did more with the Grimm mythology throughout the season. When was the last time anyone even mentioned a key?

I'm not sure I like where this plan of Adelind's is going...probably into squick territory...but the fact that she attacked Renard means she needs to be put down. Quickly, if possible.

I like it, and I like her. My only problem with Trubel is this dynamic is shaping into Nick telling her to stay put, her disobeying, and then her ending up saving someone. Makes Nick look less competent. I'd prefer it if she got over her head and Nick had to bail her out more often.
    Normally I hate characters who do this sort of thing, but this time I got it. This was essentially her first "case" as a Grimm, for the first time in her life she's felt apart of something and Nick, Hank & Co. have been very good to her so she's thankful. So of course she's gonna want to see this through and if these guys were as dangerous as Nick told her, he and Hank would need her help.

From Nick's P.O.V. the Verrat doesn't know she's a Grimm, that makes her an invaluable asset to him (2 Grimms instead of one), while allowing her to remain safe and get caught up to speed.

Now if she makes a habit of it and is need of constant rescuing, then I'll be annoyed and she'll have to go.

I was actually disappointed that Adelind used Juliette to get to Nick- again. I saw that and I just felt we had already been to that well and drained it dry. I guess we'll see what happens but it did not excite me.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Incredible Member

That's one of my gripes with the series. They introduce something and months (or even years) go by before we hear about it again. Remember the whole Nick occasionally appearing to be dead storyline?

In regards to Trubel, I like the concept of the character but I have trouble (no pun intending) accepting the actress. She's not bad but something about her doesn't work for me. First, is she supposed to be a teenager or in her early twenties? She appears to be the latter but she acts younger than that. I guess life on the streets and mental institutions might account for that. Also, her fighting skill seems nearly on par with Nick's. She took down two verat while Nick was struggling with one. I remember Nick took awhile before he was able to easily handle most wesen.

One of the things I do like about Trubel is her back story. Imagine seeing monsters everywhere and people telling you you're crazy. The other interesting thing is that I bet some of the wesen she killed weren't evil. They simply freaked out when they learned she was a Grimm and probably attacked first thinking she was going to kill them.

I may have misunderstood this but am I correct in assuming that the old man was a Grimm who didn't practice. I got the impression he had the sight but decided not to go into the family business. I think it's interesting that some Grimm choose to follow their own paths.
    Last edited by maczero; 05-13-2014 at 08:28 AM.

BANNED

As for trubel, I think it is quite obvious sooner or later she is going to flip out and do something that crosses the line. I don't know what, but I'm just waiting for the other ball to drop. They don't really seem to recognize the potential danger she poses.

I'm also guessing that Monroe and Rosalee's wedding is going to end in tragedy, possibly because they will be stupid and maybe invite Trubel as well? But it has been way too hyped for it to go off smoothly, and I am not talking about mere problems like some small misunderstandings due to Nick being a Grimm.

When was the last time anyone even mentioned a key?
    On top of that, it has been nearly 3 seasons and we do not even know what the keys lead to beyond some vague "holy grail" nonsense. All we know is they lead to..power. Is it magic? Treasure? Seems odd the Royals would be after mere treasure, they have a lot of resources already. It has to be something magic-ish.

'm not sure I like where this plan of Adelind's is going...probably into squick territory...but the fact that she attacked Renard means she needs to be put down. Quickly, if possible.
    Adalind has been needing to be put down since the 1st season.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I was actually disappointed that Adelind used Juliette to get to Nick- again. I saw that and I just felt we had already been to that well and drained it dry.
    Even worse is that isn't the only thing they are reusing. If you pay attention to the clips for the remaining episodes you see Juliette and Renard kissing. Which means not only is Adalind messing with Juliette..but she is making her try to kiss Renard, etc. to cause issues..which is more or less the exact same thing she did before. I'm surprised she didn't take control of Juliette's body via a damn cat scratch.
    Last edited by Surtur; 05-13-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Ugh. Good episode, but I said it before, and I will say it again..I am SO SICK of Adelind! It's especially wearying because it looks like she is doing the same thing she did a couple seasons ago. I hope it's a fake out by the writers because otherwise it's pretty frustrating. Adelind has long been more trouble than she's worth, and attacking Renard is just over the top. Someone needs to take her out. I really hope she doesn't cause too much damage for Nick and Juliette. We have been down that road for too many seasons. Next, please!

Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    Ugh. Good episode, but I said it before, and I will say it again..I am SO SICK of Adelind! It's especially wearying because it looks like she is doing the same thing she did a couple seasons ago. I hope it's a fake out by the writers because otherwise it's pretty frustrating. Adelind has long been more trouble than she's worth, and attacking Renard is just over the top. Someone needs to take her out. I really hope she doesn't cause too much damage for Nick and Juliette. We have been down that road for too many seasons. Next, please!
    Adalind exploits Nick's moral principles and Sean's attachment as both a lover and the mother of his child. She takes for granted that neither of them will kill her, and while I'd hate for either of them to take it lightly, if she continues to push the way she has, I somewhat hope they will. By removing her powers, Nick allowed her to live. But she showed no scruples about getting pregnant with a baby she intended to auction off or about killing another hexenbiest to gain her own powers back. If she had really changed, I wouldn't necessarily see the benefit of her dying, but now she's nearing the point of not being allowed to live.

Incidentally, I think that Trubel makes Nick seem a little incompetent, as @90'sCartoonMan noticed, because Nick's other values and obligations as a police detective make him (slightly) less likely to lay down the hammer. Despite each investigation devolving into something that's impossible to prosecute as usually ends in deadly force, Nick—probably rightly—clings to investigative procedure. Trubel has no such obligations, at least instinctually, though Nick's trying to teach her some. It's also worth mentioning that Trubel, unlike Nick, has been through the crucible. She's more instinctual about these things because she's needed to be to survive.

I really tried to like this show. The commercials for the season premier really made me want to watch it but it just feels like a rip off of dylan dog dead of night (which wasn't that good to begin with) also I loved Sylas Weir Mitchel from Prison Break.

Well, if it's not for you, then it's not for you, but if you don't like it by now it's probably not going to happen.

I guess Adelind is technically this series version of Catwoman/Talia Al Ghul, the fem fatale who causes a lot of trouble but the hero can't resist trying to redeem her. But Catwoman and Talia both have an exotic charisma that makes you want to see more of them. Adelind can't pull that off.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I guess Adelind is technically this series version of Catwoman/Talia Al Ghul, the fem fatale who causes a lot of trouble but the hero can't resist trying to redeem her. But Catwoman and Talia both have an exotic charisma that makes you want to see more of them. Adelind can't pull that off.
    Adelind feels more like a bratty teenager than a femme fatale. And that's kind of why I like her.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Except that Adeland is whiny, petulant and obnoxious. She is a nuisance that the main cast has foolishly not nutted-up and dealt with, and if things go as they appear, the writers are going to retread the same themes. I hope it's a fake out because right now, she is the only major weak link in the show for me.