Boisterously Confused

Default Visitors to NYC: Is Marvel Part of its Charm to You?

As I sit in a bar in Manhattan, looking at the bustle outside the window, I wonder about how Marvel readers who aren't from NYC look at NYC.

I'm sure we've got some members here who are Native New Yorkers; to you, it's probably just home. To me, a kid growing up in a series of rural Air Force bases, reading Marvel Comics, it was a fairy tale world, like Narnia or Neverland.

I never saw it until I was grown, and of course, knew it was something else. Still, when I walk the streets between its tall buildings, I can't help feeling a thrill at the idea that Spider-Man or Daredevil are swinging by, just out of my line of sight. When I pass the great townhouses across from Central Park (however repurposed), I imagine them as Avenger's Mansion. When I see deco-esque tower, I can't help envisioning the Pogo-Plane blasting off from its roof.

Any other NYC visitors catch those feels from The Big Apple?

Yeah. I grew up in an island town on the outskirts of a 1960’s city in Australia. I used to get dribs and drabs of Marvel Comics all I could get my hands on.

I visited New York City in 2012, and I can see why Jack Kirby started comics in that city. I could feel the vibrancy, the enormity of its expanse and the energy. I never imagined superheroes in NY when I got there. I imagined the comic makers using their imaginations in this place full of diversity and being the sons of immigrants having to hack out a place for themselves, being lumbered by culture cringe from those that established the place. It’s what formed their characters.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    As I sit in a bar in Manhattan, looking at the bustle outside the window, I wonder about how Marvel readers who aren't from NYC look at NYC.

I'm sure we've got some members here who are Native New Yorkers; to you, it's probably just home. To me, a kid growing up in a series of rural Air Force bases, reading Marvel Comics, it was a fairy tale world, like Narnia or Neverland.

I never saw it until I was grown, and of course, knew it was something else. Still, when I walk the streets between its tall buildings, I can't help feeling a thrill at the idea that Spider-Man or Daredevil are swinging by, just out of my line of sight. When I pass the great townhouses across from Central Park (however repurposed), I imagine them as Avenger's Mansion. When I see deco-esque tower, I can't help envisioning the Pogo-Plane blasting off from its roof.

Any other NYC visitors catch those feels from The Big Apple?
    Ha, definitely felt that. Growing up just outside NYC, having attended universities there, and still visiting from time to time, I have been definitely inspired by Marvel's depiction of the city. That energy of inspiration is always there. Maybe I'd catch a glance of the Avengers over in Central Park. Maybe Spidey would swing past me at 42nd and 8th or Daredevil would leap over at Union Square. Heck, maybe if I could check out Forest Hills and see Spider-Man's house. These things never happened, but I always hoped they would.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

First time I went to NYC I remember thinking, “How cool would it be if Four Freedoms Plaza and Avengers Mansion were really here.”
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I live about 2 miles from the Parker home. It's pretty cool. Even though NY doesn't look much like what it did in the Silver and Bronze ages, it is still pretty cool.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

When I saw the Flat Iron building I had to take a picture of me looking up and pointing and mouthing "Spider-Man!"