Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

By the way, another impressive thing is Anyone But You with Glen Powell and Sydney Sweeney has already passed The Lost City (with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum) when it comes to rom-coms, and The Lost City also doubled as an action movie with Daniel Radcliffe as the villain and Brad Pitt in a role. Given Elemental's numbers, maybe Disney should consider making a Gambit solo movie as not a traditional X-men mission or action movie, but a rom-com with some action.

More Nicole Kidman amc ads feels great in a place like this.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/amc-the...ts-1235841574/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I hear it's quite good and visually stunning, so I think it might do well.

Extraordinary Member

I see CBR is offering Disney advice on how to fix the MCU! That's great!

What's not so great is the actual advice, which is....er....a fanboy idea I guess? They want Marvel to cast multiple actors as Kang, not really understanding why that would make things worse for Marvel, it that's even possible at this point. So, I shall spell it out for them.

Audiences do not hang onto most characters; rather, they latch onto the actors playing them. I'm not saying anyone was invested in Majors, but rather that if you split the Kang character focus among multiple actors, audiences won't care about any of them. And not caring about the villain is a recipe for Marvel movies and TV continuing along the catastrophic cliff-dive they've been taking mostly since Endgame.

If they even want Kang the character to continue in the MCU at this point, (and they really don't), what they SHOULD do is recast a single actor, (after first making sure he's not an Ezra Miller or Johnathon Majors), who can really RDJ the role. Who that actor is, I don't know, but he probably exists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I see CBR is offering Disney advice on how to fix the MCU! That's great!

What's not so great is the actual advice, which is....er....a fanboy idea I guess? They want Marvel to cast multiple actors as Kang, not really understanding why that would make things worse for Marvel, it that's even possible at this point. So, I shall spell it out for them.

Audiences do not hang onto most characters; rather, they latch onto the actors playing them. I'm not saying anyone was invested in Majors, but rather that if you split the Kang character focus among multiple actors, audiences won't care about any of them. And not caring about the villain is a recipe for Marvel movies and TV continuing along the catastrophic cliff-dive they've been taking mostly since Endgame.

If they even want Kang the character to continue in the MCU at this point, (and they really don't), what they SHOULD do is recast a single actor, (after first making sure he's not an Ezra Miller or Johnathon Majors), who can really RDJ the role. Who that actor is, I don't know, but he probably exists.
    What about John David Washington, Denzel's son? He already played the main character in Tenet, a sci-fi, time shenanigans movie directed by Christopher Nolan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    What about John David Washington, Denzel's son? He already played the main character in Tenet, a sci-fi, time shenanigans movie directed by Christopher Nolan.
    That'd be fine. But keep it just him in that case. Oh, and wasn't he also in "The Creator"?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    wasn't he also in "The Creator"?
    Yep, also sci-fi.

Looks like ~$29M SAT for #Dune2. $61M 2-day total. Massive 40% growth from FRI riding on strong WOM. Depending on how strong SUN hold is, can go $80-84M weekend.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...1m_2day_total/

Fantastic Member

Yeah my local theater was sold out of the IMAX showings....going to end up seeing it during the weekday I guess.

And I'm going to be honest with Marvel and CBR the box office solution to the Kang/MCU problem is clearly...hire Timothee Chalamat to play Nightmare

Two huge wins and a side note today.

Dune 2 spices an over $81m opening! Many showings sold out on imax.

Bob Marly said not so fast and also hits $80m this weekend!

Migration leaves the top 5 at last but passed over $150 overseas and over $140m domestic. This movie has legs.

Madame web at last passes Morbius opening weekend! Congrats.

“Dune: Part Two” is riding those massive sandworms all the way to the top of box office charts.

Director Denis Villeneuve‘s big-budget sequel has collected $81.5 million in its domestic debut and delivered a mighty, necessary jolt for struggling movie theaters. It’s the biggest opening weekend of the year and the largest since last October’s Blumhouse thriller “Five Nights at Freddy’s” ($80 million).

Buoyed by positive reviews and glowing word-of-mouth (it has a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and “A” CinemaScore), “Dune 2” seems to have expanded its fanbase beyond sci-fi buffs and arrived on the higher end of expectations. Heading into the weekend, Warner Bros., the studio behind the otherworldly epic, conservatively projected a $65 million start, though most box office prognosticators believed that revenues would surpass $80 million.
    Rest of top 5--

With “Dune: Part Two” taking up the majority of oxygen at multiplexes, other movies in theaters fought for scraps. In a distant second place, Paramount’s musical biopic “Bob Marley: One Love” added $7.4 million from 3,390 theaters. The film, starring Kingsley Ben-Adir as the music legend, has become a surprise box office success with $82.7 million in North America and $146 million globally.

Hilary Swank’s inspirational drama “Ordinary Angels” remained in third place with $3.8 million from 3,020 locations. After two weeks on the big screen, the Lionsgate and Kingdom Story Company film has collected a mere $12 million. However, “Ordinary Angels” reportedly carries a modest budget in the low double digits, which could help to offset these lackluster grosses.

At the No. 4 spot, “Madame Web” continued to sputter with $3.2 million from 3,116 theaters. Sony’s “Spider-Man” spin-off, starring Dakota Johnson as a paramedic with psychic abilities, cost $80 million and has generated a paltry $40 million domestically and $50 million internationally to date.

Faith-based TV series “The Chosen” rounded out the top five with $3.1 million from 2,215 venues. Fathom Events has rolling out the show’s Season 4 exclusively in cinemas with two-week runs of episodes, and this weekend’s run included episodes seven and eight. Ticket sales were slightly behind episodes four through six, which brought in $3.5 million, They steeply declined from episodes one through three, which generated $6 million to start and $14 million during its run.
    https://variety.com/2024/film/news/d...et-1235928614/

Next week dune 2 will face kung fu panda 4, the pooh blood and honey rip-off imagination, 40 steps with jesus, and cabrini at the box office while we wait for ghostbusters to come out.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 03-03-2024 at 09:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

Hey some good box office news! Happy for for he theaters owners and workers. Hopefully its a trend. But I dont think so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Yeah my local theater was sold out of the IMAX showings....going to end up seeing it during the weekday I guess.

And I'm going to be honest with Marvel and CBR the box office solution to the Kang/MCU problem is clearly...hire Timothee Chalamat to play Nightmare

Dune 2 might do more than $600 million worldwide. If that happens, it will be Chalamet's second movie to do it within a few months, which is no small feat for an up and coming young blockbuster actor. I'm assuming at least one great paycheck is being cut for him behind closed doors for his next project.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Dune 2 might do more than $600 million worldwide. If that happens, it will be Chalamet's second movie to do it within a few months, which is no small feat for an up and coming young blockbuster actor. I'm assuming at least one great paycheck is being cut for him behind closed doors for his next project.
    So what you are saying is that Chalamet needs to give his agent a HUGE bonus?

Dune 2 passing $100m today.

Kung fu panda 4 expecting $50m opening.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/kung-fu...ew-1235846878/