Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

As we wait for box office results note how boy and the heron and kong are smashing the china box office. Boy has just beat Chinas box office for spirited away. Kong still doing great, but boy did chock slam kongs box office a bit in china.

China is getting spy x family movie in a few weeks also and anime is big there right now. Still big win for kong in china.

Domestic looks like American Society of Magical N has been pulled off its box office after just three weeks. Ouch.

Kung fu panda 4 has beat panda 2s domestic box office.

Ghostbusters really hurt by kong. It may have to crawl over the $100m domestic mark.

Edit here we go on the dawn of CinemaCon.

Kong still takes first with $31m.

Even better than expected results for Legendary/Warner Bros’ Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire with a second weekend of $31.7M (-60%) after a second Saturday of $13.8M, +62% over Friday. The twosome are beating their chests to ten-day $135M total.
    Monkey man fights to second.

In second, Universal’s Monkey Man kept steady toward a $10.1M opening, after a $3.58M Saturday, -15% from Friday/previews. If ya think about it, even though this much grittier than any Bollywood film as we know it, it’s on the high-end of where movies for Indians audiences typically open. As a point of reference, Animal, which was a big bloody Hindi action movie last year opened to $6.5M. Typically the audiences for Bollywood movies come out in the first weekend and then fall apart in weekend 2. It will be interesting to see if Monkey Man has any legs off its B+ CinemaScore.
    Ghostbusters scares omen away from 3rd.

ny’s Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire owns third with $9M, and a running total of $88.8M in weekend 3 which is trailing 13% behind Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Keep in mind the predecessor was boosted by its play over the Thanskgiving weekend.
    Omen hides behind a tree in 4th.

Disney’s first wide theatrical release of the year, 20th Century Studios’ The First Omen is blemished with an $8.4M opening (well below projections) after a $3M Saturday, which is $200K less than Friday/preview’s $3.2M.
    Panda takes 5th.

Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s Kung Fu Panda 4 is fifth with $7.85M, -24% in weekend 5 with a $166M running total.
    https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-off...ng-1235876709/

Next week civil war must battle don't tell mom the babysitters dead remake, sting, greatest hits, shrek 2, spider-man rerelease, and someone like you for the box office.

Shrek vs spider-man huh?
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-07-2024 at 08:28 AM.

Sony is really stupid for releasing Ghostbusters so close to Godzilla x Kong. April is pretty much a dead zone and they could have set up shop there. Unless they had set the date first and had already started marketing and GxK snuck up on them.

Ghostbuster has a big fanbase but it’s not a Kong sized popcorn flick that people will flock to the theaters to see. Fortunately it only has a budget of around $100 million. But the fact that it probably will make less than Afterlife has to be disappointing.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-07-2024 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Sony is really stupid for releasing Ghostbusters so close to Godzilla x Kong. April is pretty much a dead zone and they could have set up shop there. Unless they had set the date first and had already started marketing and GxK snuck up on them.

Ghostbuster has a big fanbase but it’s not a Kong sized popcorn flick that people will flock to the theaters to see. Fortunately it only has a budget of around $100 million. But the fact that it probably will make less than Afterlife has to be disappointing.
    Frozen Empire was delayed due the strike.

GxK I think was too, but selected a new weekend twice.

A lot of GB's adverts started waaaaay ahead of the movie.

I don't think Sony pivoted well.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-07-2024 at 09:45 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Fantastic Member

Somebody was going to lose this weekend. I don't get why this movie wasn't released in the Summer...same thing with Late Night with the Devil. One film really should have been on IMAX while the other film is a huge word of mouth film that didn't get the screens.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Somebody was going to lose this weekend. I don't get why this movie wasn't released in the Summer...same thing with Late Night with the Devil. One film really should have been on IMAX while the other film is a huge word of mouth film that didn't get the screens.
    You can face Kong and Godzilla or face Garfield, Aliens, Planet of the Apes, Inside out 2, Bad Boys, Kraven, The Crow, A Quiet Place, Despicable Me 4, Beverly Hills Cop 4, Mad Max sequel, Deadpool & Wolverine, Trap and Borderland.

Ghostbusters would have been EATEN alive in the summer. You got too many kid and family friendly movies. Garfield, Inside Out and Despicable Me. Despicable Me will take out the first two and own the rest of summer for kids.

The Fall? Joker, Venom, Moana 2, Sonic 3, Mufasa: The Lion King and Smile 2. We can stop there.

There is nowhere that movie could come out and NOT avoid a certain movie.

Ultimate Member

Ghostbusters inability to expand its fanbase (at the box office at least) is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Like skyvolt said, too much competition in the summer. Plua Garfield, Inside Out and Despicable Me franchises each have a sizeable fanbasse. That is why Sony was wise not to release Godzilla x Kong in summer either.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You can face Kong and Godzilla or face Garfield, Aliens, Planet of the Apes, Inside out 2, Bad Boys, Kraven, The Crow, A Quiet Place, Despicable Me 4, Beverly Hills Cop 4, Mad Max sequel, Deadpool & Wolverine, Trap and Borderland.

Ghostbusters would have been EATEN alive in the summer. You got too many kid and family friendly movies. Garfield, Inside Out and Despicable Me. Despicable Me will take out the first two and own the rest of summer for kids.

The Fall? Joker, Venom, Moana 2, Sonic 3, Mufasa: The Lion King and Smile 2. We can stop there.

There is nowhere that movie could come out and NOT avoid a certain movie.
    But somewhere during the year there was a space where Ghostbuster would have had two weeks to be the biggest thing at the theaters, especially with a very weak April. The timeframe Sony chose gave them a single weekend and then it ran into a Kong shaped buzzsaw. There’s always going to be heavy competition throughout the year but they needed some breathing room which this release date did not give them.

Godzilla x Kong is a big budget popcorn flick that begs to be seen on the big screen. People can wait for Ghostbusters to hit streaming and probably not miss much of the theater experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Ghostbusters inability to expand its fanbase (at the box office at least) is very interesting.
    Yeah the whole point of having the new protagonists be middle school and high school age was to appeal to Gen Zers but I guess that didn’t work that well. I was hoping they would include some more adult comedians and I was happy to see Patton Oswalt and Kumail Nanjiani but that apparently didn’t work either.

I don’t know where they go from here. Maybe make the roster younger popular comedians? Any current SNL standouts?

I think the franchise needs a new animated series if it has any hope of surviving. They can’t rely on nostalgia and the occasional movie. A well made animated series could help it expand the fanbase and survive into a new generation.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-07-2024 at 07:32 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Like skyvolt said, too much competition in the summer. Plua Garfield, Inside Out and Despicable Me franchises each have a sizeable fanbasse. That is why Sony was wise not to release Godzilla x Kong in summer either.
    Skyvolt doesn't know what he's talking about..we're talking 4 months...this is what's coming out

May 3 - Fall Guy
    May 10 - Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
    May 17 - If
    May 24 - Furiousa, Garfield
    May 31 - <nothing of note>
    June 7 - Bad Boys, Crow
    June 14 - Inside Out 2/The Watchers
    June 21 - Bike Riders/Kind of Kindness
    June 28 - Quiet Place/Horizon Part 1
    July 5th - Despicable Me, Beverly Hills Cop, Maxxxine
    July 12th - Fly me to the Moon/Long Legs
    July 19th - Twisters
    July 26th - Deadpool and Wolverine
    August 2 - Trap/Harold and the Purple Crayon
    Aug 9 - Borderlands/Cuckoo
    Aug 16 - Alien/Horizon Part 2
    Aug 23rd - <nothing of note>
    Aug 30 - Kraven/Reagan

You can point out atleast 6 weeks in the summer where they would have had the same number 1 opening and they wouldn't have had to put themselves between Dune and King Kong

But somewhere during the year there was a space where Ghostbuster would have had two weeks to be the biggest thing at the theaters, especially with a very weak April. The timeframe Sony chose gave them a single weekend and then it ran into a Kong shaped buzzsaw. There’s always going to be heavy competition throughout the year but they needed some breathing room which this release date did not give them.

Godzilla x Kong is a big budget popcorn flick that begs to be seen on the big screen. People can wait for Ghostbusters to hit streaming and probably not miss much of the theater experience.

Yeah the whole point of having the new protagonists be middle school and high school age was to appeal to Gen Zers but I guess that didn’t work that well. I was hoping they would include some more adult comedians and I was happy to see Patton Oswalt and Kumail Nanjiani but that apparently didn’t work either.

I don’t know where they go from here. Maybe make the roster younger popular comedians? Any current SNL standouts?

I think the franchise needs a new animated series if it has any hope of surviving. They can’t rely on nostalgia and the occasional movie. A well made animated series could help it expand the fanbase and survive into a new generation.
    There's supposed to be a new cartoon coming out on Netflix, I believe.

Astonishing Member

That could be the way forward. TMNT is already switching to animation. When I was growing up watching The Real Ghostbusters they WERE the real ones as far as I was concerned before I watched any movies. For every movie apparition (except the most iconic ones like Slimer and Marshmallow Man which were also on the show) I had like at least a couple show ones I liked better.

CinemaCon is here so expect movie news this week.

First up looks like looney tunes day the earth blew up is out in fall on the big-screen. Bigger news its wb's first release in russia after a few years.

Looks like russia is open again to wb's box office.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...g_a_fall_2024/

Transformers more than meets the eye movie in may. Not the new movie but first 5 episodes of the 80s show edited into a big-screen movie.

[IMG][/IMG]

https://www.transformers40thcinemaevent.com/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-08-2024 at 06:21 PM.

Three movie anime films coming to american theaters confirmed at CinemaCon.

https://www.joblo.com/crunchyroll-cinemacon-2024/

Bluey movie may be in the works. Shocked it took this long as big ratings that show gets.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/bluey-j...de-1235867154/