Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Careful those going to the movies today as there may be some trouble making leprechauns out there as we get the box office results.

Panda and dune are not scared of no leprechauns as panda karate chops dunes last chance to get first after only there for one week as panda stays on the top spot and with some ghost guys this weekend and an ape and lizard next dune days at first looks to be done. Don't cry for it however as it is still doing well.

Universal and DreamWorks Animation’s “Kung Fu Panda 4” remained victorious at the domestic box office, collecting a solid $30 million in its second weekend of release. After 10 days on the big screen, the animated family film has grossed $107.7 million in North America and $176.5 million globally.
    Dune hits $200m domestic and $400m ww hitting second.

In a close second place, “Dune: Part Two” added a mighty $29 million from 3,847 venues in its third weekend of release. Ticket sales only declined 37% from the weekend prior. So far, the sci-fi sequel has grossed $205 million in North America and more than $400 million globally. In the coming week, “Dune 2” will outgross its predecessor, which generated $433 million at the worldwide box office while landing day-and-date on HBO Max in the U.S. and Canada.

The dog movie gets third--

Those ticket sales easily surpassed the debut of Mark Wahlberg’s canine drama “Arthur the King,” which opened in third place. It arrived on the lower end of expectations with a soft $7.5 million from 3,003 theaters. Lionsgate spent $19 million on the feel-good story, about a man who befriends a wounded stray dog, so its modest price tag could soften its box office shortcomings. Though critics weren’t fond of “Arthur the King” (it has a 64% on Rotten Tomatoes), moviegoers were more receptive and gave the film an “A” grade on CinemaScore.
    4th goes to the pooh blood and honey rip-off.

Lionsgate’s Blumhouse thriller “Imaginary” took fourth place with $5.5 million from 3,118 locations. After two weeks of release, the movie — a horror film about a woman who is tormented by her old teddy bear named Chauncey — has earned $19 million. Lucky for the studio, “Imaginary” cost around $11 million, so it’s decently positioned in its theatrical run.
    Cabrini wraps up the top 5.

Angel Studio’s faith-based biographical drama “Cabrini” has rounded out the top five. The film added $2.9 million from 2,850 theaters, boosting its domestic tally to $13 million.
    Note--

Another newcomer, Focus Features’ satirical comedy “The American Society of Magical Negroes,” stumbled to the No. 9 spot. The film scraped together just $1.25 million from 1,146 venues — a smaller screen count than the average wide release. Reviews and word-of-mouth may not help “The American Society of Magical Negroes,” which has a 30% on Rotten Tomatoes. First-time filmmaker Kobi Libii directed the movie, starring Justice Smith and David Alan Grier, about a young man who is recruited to an organization that exists to make life easier for white people.
    https://variety.com/2024/film/box-of...ng-1235944125/

Next week Boy and the heron rerelease, rad rerelease extended (why?), luca with $5 tickets and Rascal Does Not Dream take on ghostbusters.

And yes, that is three animated movies two anime out the same week!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Dreamworks has no one to blame but themselves for gillman. They didn't even put out the first trailer till less than a month before release with almost no merch and spoil the big twist in every ad and even the movie poster.

They send that movie out to die.
    I didn't even know Kung Fu Panda had a movie coming out. I have seen ZERO anything promoting the movie in my city not even merchandise.

Extraordinary Member

How is that Arthur the King movie? I like adventure racing, which if I understand correctly is the setting for the movie, but since I haven't seen any reviews, I'm a bit reluctant to see it.

Astonishing Member

Wonka made $628 million worldwide with a $125 million budget. Dune Part Two is currently at $494 million with a $190 million budget. Get ready for Messiah and expect a Wonka prequel part 2. I think Sony should really consider calling Chalamet about Jumanji 3/4 (beats me why they haven't announced that sequel already).

Welcome to the half billion club dune 2!

Panda passed the $100m mark domestic also.

Dune 2 and godzilla minus one finds themselves buried in the middle of a top 10 box office of anime movies in japan with Doraemon taking first.

Dune 2 has done well in Japan so far and migration still in top 10 there as well.

https://twitter.com/franspeech/statu...q9xO5em2fnHvQQ

Ghostbusters is getting a huge marketing push in japan also so we will see if that pays off.

Also reports on bot is people in china is really excited for gvk 2. This could be good news there.

Ghostbusters opened previews were just above the last movies opening previews box office. Got a good audience reaction also over the less liked critic reaction. Here we go again. It's venom and Jurassic world 6 all over again.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-off...re-1235865730/

Popcorn buckets are helping keep movie chains going! Thanks dune 2 bucket.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ue-1235824026/

Ultimate Member

Wrong thread.

It's back.

Ghostbusters has $16m opening day and good walk-ins. Film heading for a $44m opening looks like.

Dune 2 at war with panda for second and panda may lose the round!

Not looking good for luca aka the movie disney didn't have any ads for so many didn't even know it was out.

Fantastic Member

Late Night with the Devil came in 6th place....hopefully the film has legs

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Ghostbusters has $16m opening day and good walk-ins. Film heading for a $44m opening looks like.

Dune 2 at war with panda for second and panda may lose the round!

Not looking good for luca aka the movie disney didn't have any ads for so many didn't even know it was out.
    $44 million doesn’t seem that great considering that it’s probably gonna get stomped next weekend by Godzilla and Kong.

Afterlife made $129 million domestic. Unless Frozen Empire has some very good legs I don’t know if it will reach the first movie’s total.

Though April looks like a weak month for big releases so it could have a decent chance.
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-24-2024 at 09:56 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    $44 million doesn’t seem that great considering that it’s probably gonna get stomped next weekend by Godzilla and Kong.

Afterlife made $129 million domestic. Unless Frozen Empire has some very good legs I don’t know if it will reach the first movie’s total.

Though April looks like a weak month for big releases so it could have a decent chance.
    I don't know if it will have good legs or not but it's going to hit #4 for the year next weekend behind Bob Marley, Panda, and Dune. Unless Godzilla and Kong is shockingly good (I have doubts) it should settle into a healthy spot for the year.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-off...re-1235865730/

Ghostbusteers busts $45.2m.

No snowstorm or sour reviews stood in Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire‘s path this weekend, as the Gil Kenan-directed, Jason Reitman-produced sequel minted a $45.2M opening after a nice spike on Saturday from families.

Yesterday came in at $16.8M, 5% ahead of Friday/previews’ $16M. If the numbers hold up, that’s the second-best start ever for a Ghostbusters’ movie after the 2016 female ensemble of Kirsten Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon.

The domestic opening of the fifth movie takes the entire Ghostbusters franchise, per Sony, past $1 billion. I understand studio reports had the franchise through four films at $985M, a result that’s higher than Box Office Mojo. Mojo’s numbers on overseas are off on the first 1984 film.

Foreign for Frozen Empire was $16.4M from 7,500+ screens in 25 markets, bringing the global start here to $61.6M on the $100M production.

The opening is solid news, as some exhibitors feared that the movie was going to collapse into the high $30M range based on their presales, which were significantly off from Kung Fu Panda 4. However, Sony’s marketing team got the sequel past the finish line as the brand is a cherished and a vital one for the studio.
    Ghostbusters is a hit with kids looks like. Our showing today had many kids as well.

Evidence of the family turnout is also shown in EntTelligence stats, which reports that 54% of Frozen Empire‘s ticket buyers came before 5PM on Saturday. In addition, 56% of the audience was under 35, born well after the original 1984 movie.
    Dune has returns to knock panda out of second. Dog movie drops to 5th.

1.) Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (Sony) 4,345 theaters, Fri $16M Sat $16.8M Sun $12.3M 3-day $45.2M/Wk 1

2.) Dune: Part Two (Leg/WB) 3,437 theaters (-410), Fri $4.5M (-44%) Sat $7.7M Sun $5.4M, 3-day $17.6M (-38%)/Total $233.3M/Wk 4

3.) Kung Fu Panda 4 (Uni/DWA) 3,805 (-262) theaters, Fri $4M (-54%) Sat $7.6M Sun $5.1M, 3-day $16.8M (-44%), Total $133.2M/Wk 3

4.) Immaculate (NEON) 2,354 theaters, Fri $2M, Sat $2M Sun $1.3M 3-day $5.36M/Wk 1
    With no ads for it anywhere no shock luca doesn't even make the top 10!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

What helps Ghostbusters and Sony is the budget for this film is $100 million. So making back nearly half your budget opening week is always good. I think Sony has a good formula now with the half old/new cast. Your using the older cast to pass the tprch as were seeing. And its working as more kids are getting into this one.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.