Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Box office and people all wanted to see the lizard and monkey as it hit $80m!

Legendary and Warner Bros‘ Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire stomped all over expectations with an $80M opening, the second best start of the year so far, $2.5M behind the $82.5M opening of Legendary’s other big pic this spring, Dune: Part Two. No one saw this coming.

For a fifthquel to bounce back the franchise, GxK being the second best start in the Legendary Monsterverse after Godzilla‘s $93.1M ten years ago, is pretty remarkable. Also there’s a similar boom going on here with this Legendary property ala Dune Part Two. That franchise had its first chapter’s grosses siphoned by a pandemic day-and-date HBO Max streaming debut. Despite bringing audiences back in the Easter 2021, you could say that Godzilla v Kong‘s grosses too were also impacted by a streaming day-and-date plan, and the pure theatrical of it all with GxK clearly underscores the value of the IP on the big screen, and moviegoers’ preference to see such monster mashing in no other place but a theater.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 03-31-2024 at 06:55 PM.

We are at what? Four weeks of $50M+ opening weekends in a row?

Seems like theaters are back!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yes 4th $40m opening this month.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    We are at what? Four weeks of $50M+ opening weekends in a row?

Seems like theaters are back!
    And nothing is coming out next month

And then everything comes out in May
    Week 1 - Fall Guy
    Week 2 - Planet of the Apes
    Week 3 - If
    Week 4 - Mad Max

And then June has I think 1 film (Inside Out 2)
    July has 2 films (Despicable Me 4 and Wolverine and Deadpool)
    August as 1 film (Alien Romulus)

Astonishing Member

Godzilla x Kong New Empire had a $194 million global debut while its budget seems to be only $135 million (I'd have thought it'd be closer to $200 million), and with the second best MonsterVerse opening weekend in North America. It's a breezy and fun movie, I think it's headed to profits and another sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Godzilla x Kong New Empire had a $194 million global debut while its budget seems to be only $135 million (I'd have thought it'd be closer to $200 million), and with the second best MonsterVerse opening weekend in North America. It's a breezy and fun movie, I think it's headed to profits and another sequel.
    I hope so because it means we get that solo Godzilla film next.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Godzilla and Ghostbusters will benefit from a weak April release schedule. Both will get the legs to draw pretty well. Ghostbusters is at $73+ million domestically and will likely be cracking close to $90-95 million after next weekend.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I hope so because it means we get that solo Godzilla film next.
    Splitting them up to do Kong and Godzilla solos would be my preference.

Extraordinary Member

This is old news, but the numbers have come in finally evidently, and Indy 5 lost Disney $134 million on a budget of $387 million and change. Interesting, the loss is less than I would have figured. Evidently a huge chunk of that was in the de-aging FX for Ford in the opening.

Anime getting its own panel at CinemaCon!

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status...939564060?s=20

Also spy x family movie in a few weeks will be released in imax screens.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-02-2024 at 06:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Wicked Little Letters has, so far, made $12,824,275 worldwide.

Another transformers movie on the big-screen. It's a bugs bunny road runner movie like "clip movie" thats going to have the first 4 or 5 episodes of the 80s show edited into a big-screen movie.

It's for the 40th anniversary. This one's a limited showing thing but it means we have two animated transformers movies in one year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...e0d4796a&ei=18

Monkey iron man is no match for anime in china. Boy and the heron has great opening defeating kong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...on_flies_past/

Boy and heron heading for $100m in china! Spy x family movie getting china release confirmed.

A 2-D animation boom has hit overseas. Even wb is making 2-D anime movies now.

Time to start making a 2-D movie again disney.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...n_smashes_box/

Ultimate Member

Apparently Olivia Wilde and Margot Robbie are going to make an Avengelyne movie from the comic book, unsure of how to feel about it.