Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So in reading BoxOfficemojo....Aquaman 2 passed Black Adam for the biggest grossing DC film the last 2+ years. Its still a bomb , but with $396+ million worldwide...it should pass $400 million this week at some point.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Good old japan and china. Yeah, it's still not doing as well as hoped but on the plus side it does show japan and china will still go see hero movies.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-21-2024 at 12:34 PM.

Anyone but you now highest romcon movie worldwide.

While we’re not in blockbuster holdover territory, we should celebrate the wins when they come. To wit, there was a new milestone reached this weekend for Sony’s Anyone But You, which, with $100.2M, has become the highest-grossing R-rated romcom worldwide since Bridget Jones’s Baby in 2016.
    Mean girls hits first in uk.

Japan and china trying to push aquaman 2 to that have not reached in 5 years $400m mark. Can they do it?

Also from WB (and DC), Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom’s triton summoned a $9.5M overseas weekend from 78 markets, pushing it to $282M offshore and $396.2M global; so now on its way to $400M worldwide.

Here are the Top 5 so far: China ($59.6M), Mexico ($20.8M), France ($18.2M), Germany ($15.2M) and Brazil ($13.9M).
    It's almost there!

Migration and wish update--wish still doing well in japan--

Illumination/Universal’s Migration flocked to another $6.6M in the 7th weekend of staggered release (-30%). The international total to date is $97M for $191.6M worldwide.

Lead market Germany ($15M) is performing above Puss in Boots: The Last Wish at the same point and this week flew past the lifetimes of Big Hero 6 and The Little Mermaid.

Rounding out the Top 5 are France ($10.3M), Australia ($8.5M), Mexico ($7.9M) and Spain ($4.6M). Also notable, Poland overtook the lifetimes of Despicable Me 2 and Aladdin this week with a $3M cume to date.

Migration releases February 2 in the UK and March 15 in Japan.

Disney’s Wish in its 9th weekend added $6.1M from 51 overseas markets (-34%). The offshore cume is now $169.8M for $233.2M global. The latter makes it the 4th biggest animated release of 2023.

Top 5 to date: Japan ($22.2M), France ($20M), Germany ($16.4M), UK ($15.5M) and Italy ($10.2M).

https://deadline.com/2024/01/anyone-...ce-1235799551/

Poor soul has done awful. Should have started with turning red.

Yeah, I was told that Soul has not been doing well at the box office. Some theaters are reportedly begging for this film Soul to be taken away. Bad news for Pixar.

Razzie nods are out. Marvel and dc both get nods with pooh the "winner" with tons of nods.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...86547fa4a&ei=8

Aquaman 2, migration and wish all now vod. WB has kept wonka off vod for now.

Barbie is returning to theaters this weekend. Spider-verse 2 back as well.

Jungle bunch the movie now going to theaters in two weeks with no ads for it anywhere. That show is on?
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-24-2024 at 05:37 AM.

Demon slayer swordsman trailer dropped confirming the movie (clip movie) will be in even more screens than the last and released in more countries.

Looks like they are stepping up promoting the movie. Gasp. Promoting an anime movie. What a concept! One downside is first half is the hour ending to last season everyone has seen with last half the new stuff so not sure how it will do over a full new movie.

Edit--box office pro says demon slayer could make $23m opening. Its big trouble is a little movie called dune 2 may steal some of its thunder.

The Demon Slayer franchise has proven to be a robust specialty player at the domestic box office in recent years as the anime series’ fan base continues to grow internationally.
    Coming out in the middle of a weak winter market, the latest Demon Slayer chapter will be able to screen on IMAX and PLF screens, a boost that could push earnings closer to 2021’s Mugen Train ($21.2 million opening weekend) than to last year’s To the Swordsmith Village ($10.1 million) when it opened against Creed III.
    CONS:

Reporting for Swordsmith Village was notably limited after opening weekend, making long-term projection models more volatile for Hashira Training. The film will also run into more direct competition in its second frame with Dune: Part Two targeting some crossover audience and premium screens on March 1.
    https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-ra...dinary-angels/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-26-2024 at 06:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

I get a feeling a bunch of the audiences that would watch Dune 2 might also want to watch the Demon Slayer.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I get a feeling a bunch of the audiences that would watch Dune 2 might also want to watch the Demon Slayer.
    In Japan perhaps...in the US? Although anime and Manga are definitely popular it's not comparable in terms of box office returns.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Disney plus movie young woman and the sea eyes will now get released in theaters. With lack of movies I won't be shocked many studios not called netflix and prime may start doing this.

https://deadline.com/2024/01/daisy-r...se-1235806172/

Looney tunes day the earth blew up confirmed for the big screen in fall. Another studio is paying for its release so no tax cuts!

https://www.awn.com/news/day-earth-b...eaded-theaters
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-26-2024 at 07:05 PM.

Dune 2 pre sales crash amc website.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...bsite_and_app/

Looks like it's done. Aquaman 2 has passed $400m from early reports killing the "dceu curse" and the first DCEU movie to pass the mark since Aquaman 1 in 2018. No dceu movie in 5 years was able to pass $400m till now!

Box office has not come out yet but will wonka get an 8th first place or will the others knock it out? Waiting for results.

Edit--slow weekend other than aquaman breaking $400m with mean girls and beekeeper at war with each other.

Boring weekends always make for intense times at the box office, and this morning, Amazon MGM’s The Beekeeper is looking to steal Paramount’s Mean Girls honey, in third weekend call of $7.4M to $7.3M between the two films. Even if one does the math on both films, Beekeeper has a shot to squeeze ahead by literally a matter of cents, however, all of this hinges on how much guys get pulled away today on Sunday, and this is quite the holy day when it comes to NFL with the Chiefs and the Ravens fighting for the AFC Championship and Justin Kroll’s Lions and 49ers in a battle that will determine who goes on to Feb. 11’s Super Bowl.

Both studios are calling a close Sunday with Paramount believing the Tina Fey musical will do $2.145M, -34% from Saturday’s $3.2M. Amazon MGM sees the Jason Statham action Miramax movie at $2.2M, -35% from yesterday’s $3.4M
    https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-off...er-1235806489/

Looks like wonka loses first!

Boy and the heron has defeated pokemon 2000 as the third highest grossing anime in america.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...e_boy_and_the/

Also don't forget wizard of oz is back on the big screen today if you want to see it.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-28-2024 at 09:49 AM.

Aquaman 2 first place on vudu. Meanwhile in china--

Aquaman 2 also continues to shine. A massive +36% from last week. Will cross $62M tomorrow. Depending on the SUN-MON drop in the US this could be the first day of the run where China overtakes the US in daily gross. Not often you see that so late in the run.

Almost $1M clear of Oppenheimer already.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...s_projections/

Aquaman 2 is a flop or maybe break even at $400 million. Godzilla-1 is a "monster" hit at $100 million.
    I think the discussion of how much money a film makes and how many people want to see it are completely different.
    And this isn't new. Cleopatra was the highest grossing movie of 1963, and bankrupted 20th Century Fox.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Aquaman 2 is a flop or maybe break even at $400 million. Godzilla-1 is a "monster" hit at $100 million.
    I think the discussion of how much money a film makes and how many people want to see it are completely different.
    And this isn't new. Cleopatra was the highest grossing movie of 1963, and bankrupted 20th Century Fox.
    Yeah, I agree. People conflate box office and profitability. They're completely different as box office shows how many people want to see a movie, while profitability is based on how much a studio spent. I don't work at a studio or own studio stock, so profitability is irrelevant to me. I do want my local theater to stay open and keep innovating, so I care a lot about box office.