Page 104 of 181 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2701

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Nigel is approaching heel Heenan commentary levels.

He's great.

Love his outright trolling of ADBD
    agreed, as heenan hated hogan as a face or heel nigel hates that clam digger.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    blake has become a truly great heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    The plot thickens.

I've been saying, I wouldn't be surprised if when this whole thing is said and done, TKO kicks Trips out of his role. Him and/or anyone connected with Vince's regime. This culture of WWE sexual assaults and high ranking people in the company covering it up is not a good look and not good for business at all.
    that's what they should do imo.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Ole would have never accepted being inducted. He hated Vince and refused to do anything with him.
    I believe I read somewhere Ole was asked and he refused the induction all those years ago. Maybe I need to look that one up.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Nigel is approaching heel Heenan commentary levels.

He's great.

Love his outright trolling of ADBD
    Nigel is doing good. He's no Heenan, it's apparent that no one can quite heel commentate like Heenan or Ventura or Lawler, but Nigel is doing great. I live for good heel commentary, because Heenan and Ventura were so much my childhood.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Nigel is doing good. He's no Heenan, it's apparent that no one can quite heel commentate like Heenan or Ventura or Lawler, but Nigel is doing great. I live for good heel commentary, because Heenan and Ventura were so much my childhood.
    Nigel is better than Lawler.

He's approaching the others.

Lawler is vastly overrated IMHO.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 03-13-2024 at 09:16 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Nigel is better that Lawler.

He's approaching the others.

Lawler is vastly overrated IMHO.
    No, I disagree. Lawler had lesser years for sure, but in his prime, say like 1998 to [insert endpoint], Lawler was fantastic as a heel commentator. He did magnificent work with Austin vs Vince. His interplay with JR was awesome stuff.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-13-2024 at 07:57 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

No, I disagree. Lawler had lesser years for sure, but in his prime, say like 1998 to [insert endpoint], Lawler was fantastic as a heel commentator. He did magnificent work with Austin vs Vince. His interplay with JR was awesome stuff.
    Absolutely.

Listen, you rewatch some of those RAWs and PPVs from 1998-2000ish, Lawler was HILARIOUS.

I had tears in my eyes watching the 1999 Survivor Series match with Mae Young and Moolah in it, Lawler dropped some funny ass lines.

Absolutely.

Listen, you rewatch some of those RAWs and PPVs from 1998-2000ish, Lawler was HILARIOUS.

I had tears in my eyes watching the 1999 Survivor Series match with Mae Young and Moolah in it, Lawler dropped some funny ass lines.
    Immature horny goofball with a terrible cadence, lack of match calling (I know he was color but he rarely stayed on match unless puppies, penis jokes, or the ME were around), ear-splitting screaming, and a tendency to look past non Main Event matches to the program ahead while great stuff was happening on screen is not what I would call good commentary. The Heenan-esque shilling for and turning on a dime of heels was just a poor fasicimly of the genuine article.

It wasn't good then and hasn't aged well like most of the AE.

He has his moments, true, but the vast majority of it was shrill, vapid, and sophomoric.

But a lot of people liked that.

Now Jerry on promos and in the ring? Vastly underrated.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 03-13-2024 at 09:07 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Is WWE really inducting Thunderbolt?

The guy that *almost* and came closest to getting the wrestling union going? And called out NWA's overt racism rather publicly?? And WWE then blacklisted him???

Vince must be fuming.

Notoriety aside, he did great programs with Dusty in AWA/NWA/CWFF, Bob Brown in ASW, Ernie Ladd, Savage, the Poffos, DiBiase ... Glad to see it.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 03-13-2024 at 09:41 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The guy that *almost* and came closest to getting the wrestling union going? And called out NWA's overt racism rather publicly?? And WWE then blacklisted him???

Vince must be fuming.

Notoriety aside, he did great programs with Dusty in AWA/NWA/CWFF, Bob Brown in ASW, Ernie Ladd, Savage, the Poffos, DiBiase ... Glad to see it.
    That's how you know Vince and his inner circle are truly gone.

Immature horny goofball with a terrible cadence, lack of match calling (I know he was color but he rarely stayed on match unless puppies, penis jokes, or the ME were around), ear-splitting screaming, and a tendency to look past non Main Event matches to the program ahead while great stuff was happening on screen is not what I would call good commentary. The Heenan-esque shilling for and turning on a dime of heels was just a poor fasicimly of the genuine article.

It wasn't good then and hasn't aged well like most of the AE.

He has his moments, true, but the vast majority of it was shrill, vapid, and sophomoric.

But a lot of people liked that.

Now Jerry on promos and in the ring? Vastly underrated.
    No, but JR and King were great together and very entertaining. They almost made it to Gorilla and Bobby legacy but no one has been able to get that good yet.
    As for top announcer/calling a match, I think JR and then Michael Cole, Joey Styles. People say Gordon Solie but I am not so sure. His voice is just so monotone and boring. But it's all personal preference.

Michael Cole gets my respect. The man has been the voice of WWE for a very long time now and has come a long way, he’s cool.

I grew up in the Attitude Era, so Jim Ross and Joey Styles remain the pillars of announcing to me.

Is it bad that I liked Announcer Vince?

Vince must be fuming.

It’s a new day. Also glad to see it.

BTW, I want this pic of Trick Williams and Lash from NXT last night framed.

IMG_9047.jpg

This is right up there with Macho & Liz. Love seeing black couples in wrestling.

Solie was an early voice for me....I can see where Styles gets some things from.

Dutch Mantell was discussing announcing and story telling. As he brought up , the art of an announcer "telling the story" is one some get. He wasn't a fan of Excalibur and did say one thing , "People confuse knowing all these moves with telling a story to the audience as an announcer..."

Watch Jim Ross in his late 90s prime or Joey Styles...between calling moves , they are telling the audience the story as they go. They literally tell the audience WHY this guy in ring is a bad guy and they have emotions.

Nigel could be doing a great heel job (never listened to him) but if the face announcer isn't showing the emotion and making you feel...its lost because the face announcer has to interact and push that. Monsoon did that with Heenan. Callis did that with Joey Styles on ECW.

I been for years wanting Steve Corino as a heel announcer. Put him on RAW.....introduce him as the King of Old School and let him play heel announcer there. He could do it cheering on the heels the entire way. Just have Cole play off him a lot due to it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Solie was an early voice for me....I can see where Styles gets some things from.

Dutch Mantell was discussing announcing and story telling. As he brought up , the art of an announcer "telling the story" is one some get. He wasn't a fan of Excalibur and did say one thing , "People confuse knowing all these moves with telling a story to the audience as an announcer..."

Watch Jim Ross in his late 90s prime or Joey Styles...between calling moves , they are telling the audience the story as they go. They literally tell the audience WHY this guy in ring is a bad guy and they have emotions.

Nigel could be doing a great heel job (never listened to him) but if the face announcer isn't showing the emotion and making you feel...its lost because the face announcer has to interact and push that. Monsoon did that with Heenan. Callis did that with Joey Styles on ECW.

I been for years wanting Steve Corino as a heel announcer. Put him on RAW.....introduce him as the King of Old School and let him play heel announcer there. He could do it cheering on the heels the entire way. Just have Cole play off him a lot due to it.
    Where do you rank Tony Schiavone?

Where do you rank Tony Schiavone?
    He was ok...I think his prime years was the mid 1980s and early 1990s. But the late era Nitro years didn't help. As one critic said then , it was hard to feign excitement for Tank Abbott matches. I could understand it.