Page 50 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast

In all of today's skullduggery, I learned that UNL Law and Harvey Mudd have a contracts class where they study WWE talent contracts and NDAs as examples of bad, unenforceable legal hackery.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    In all of today's skullduggery, I learned that UNL Law and Harvey Mudd have a contracts class where they study WWE talent contracts and NDAs as examples of bad, unenforceable legal hackery.
    I doubt it's the level of hackery they claim it is (or else WWE wouldn't do it and do it for so long). Actually, WWE greatly benefits from contracting in a small insular industry where WWE is king and largely sets the industry norms. Many companies are aggressive or push it with their contracting language. You can get away with it because not everyone starts expensive risky protracted fights about their contracts (and you can settle before trial if they do) and judges and courts and states can vary wildly with contracts and enforce parts and not enforce other parts and do different remedies and etc.

In summary, WWE employs very talented lawyers like any other big successful public company, they know what they are doing, what their strategy is. There is a method to it all. As Joker would say, it's all part of the plan. Any mistakes are gonna be largely made by design.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-02-2024 at 11:34 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Never thought I'd see the day where Vince McMahon's chickens came home to roost, especially while he was still alive.

I have to watch that Torrie Wilson video, but it just makes me wonder about the other divas that had to deal with Vince in angles. I know Trish Stratus has to have some stories and seen some ****, I mean he made her get on television, strip and had her barking like a dog.

I still would also like to know how he got away with continuing that Over The Edge PPV after Owen Hart fell to his doom in the ring. That should've been a whole crime scene.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Never thought I'd see the day where Vince McMahon's chickens came home to roost, especially while he was still alive.

I have to watch that Torrie Wilson video, but it just makes me wonder about the other divas that had to deal with Vince in angles. I know Trish Stratus has to have some stories and seen some ****, I mean he made her get on television, strip and had her barking like a dog.

I still would also like to know how he got away with continuing that Over The Edge PPV after Owen Hart fell to his doom in the ring. That should've been a whole crime scene.
    Lita has opened up about how awful things were for the women in that era. Michelle McCool always talked about how the women couldn't do anything that could outshine the men during her time. I'm sure Terri Runnels, Dawn Marie, Candice Michelle and Kelly Kelly would have a lot to say

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Lita has opened up about how awful things were for the women in that era. Michelle McCool always talked about how the women couldn't do anything that could outshine the men during her time. I'm sure Terri Runnels, Dawn Marie, Candice Michelle and Kelly Kelly would have a lot to say
    Yeah poor Lita went through it. That affair she had with Edge, then being forced to do that live sex show segment, getting mustard thrown on her, she took a lot. Then you think about when Vince had them wrestling in swimming pools, gravy and all that silly **** how degrading it had to be for them.

Astonishing Member

I can only imagine how much worse it was after WCW folded and Vince was the only game in town.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    xactly, and in the regard he failed. he should've either said less or spoke more wisely. instead he was dismissive, tone deaf, and worst of all, OBVIOUSLY dishonest. lying about reading the lawsuit right out the gate was horrible for him because how is anyone supposed to believe his comments going forward now?? such as when he says he & steph didn't know about vince and his activities??
    That is the thing here though. Trips was in a position if he says he did read it , follow up questions would be how he and Stephanie feels and more. Everyone knows the entire family has read this and have had talks with lawyers during the week. HHH was likely told , you have to say you haven't read it because you will open yourself to more questions and more questions that can lead you into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    All this makes me wonder if the merger/TKO was just an elaborate last-ditch escape hatch or parachute for VKM, more than being a genuinely-planned Vince-desired merger. Vince's very begrudging way out while raking in the most he could before going down. I figure various sober-minded lawyers and other execs in and out of the WWE and family (Linda, etc) probably eventually got through to Vince that The House of Vince McMahon was sure to come down, so just decide now how much you want to make in the inevitable unstoppable fall. Told him he'd lose his reputation, his place in WWE, so money (which in Vince's mind represents his power, achievement) would be the only thing he could (somewhat) keep.

There's a storm coming, Mr. McMahon. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
    I'd say Vince , had he kept up the payments to Grant (I tried to not say her last name out of respect for victim) this wouldn't have came out til his death. Where we would be horrified. Its how this all began because he chose not to finish paying her the other $2 million he owed her in the NDA.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I can only imagine how much worse it was after WCW folded and Vince was the only game in town.
    Yeah , once Vince welded total power he was power mad then. Remember he fired Jarrett and Luger on national TV to hurt them.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I doubt it's the level of hackery they claim it is (or else WWE wouldn't do it and do it for so long). Actually, WWE greatly benefits from contracting in a small insular industry where WWE is king and largely sets the industry norms. Many companies are aggressive or push it with their contracting language. You can get away with it because not everyone starts expensive risky protracted fights about their contracts (and you can settle before trial if they do) and judges and courts and states can vary wildly with contracts and enforce parts and not enforce other parts and do different remedies and etc.

In summary, WWE employs very talented lawyers like any other big successful public company, they know what they are doing, what their strategy is. There is a method to it all. As Joker would say, it's all part of the plan. Any mistakes are gonna be largely made by design.
    I don't think WWE has won a case, ever, in regards to their talent contracts.

You might be good at one thing (Disney copyright lawyers) and terrible at another (Disney employment violations).

WWE's contracts for wrestlers are terrible at best.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I already ran down how Dawn Marie herself was fired due to becoming pregnant and she was fired. Marie sued the company and they changed things about doing that after settling with her. (You maybe ignoring me too but its there)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I don't think WWE has won a case, ever, in regards to their talent contracts.

You might be good at one thing (Disney copyright lawyers) and terrible at another (Disney employment violations).

WWE's contracts for wrestlers are terrible at best.

Back in 2020 or 2022 , when Richard Ojida (spelling sorry) was running for Senate , he pledged to look into the WWE contracts in the senate and make Vince answer for them. A lot of people did laughing at him , mocked him for that online and well...he didn't win. But he was pushing to look into them. I remember posting here I believe those years earlier about his plans.

Vince got a lot of flak from the media over the 'Trish Stratus being forced to bark like a dog' incident. He assured the media that it was his character, "Mr. McMahon" that was doing it, and that Trish would end up getting back at him at Wrestlemania.

Of course, that's just one of many incidents that (in light of all the allegations) make you wonder just where the 'Mr. McMahon' character ends and the actual Vince begins. It seems like the 'heel boss' character gave Vince an excuse to act like a misogynistic a-hole onscreen, saying that incidents like that (and of course the "Vince McMahon Kiss My A$$ Club") were things his 'character' was doing. He was hiding behind the "It's a character" excuse, all the while being an even worse person offscreen.

There's been some discussion (in this thread, and elsewhere on the Internet) about just who knew about the horrible behavior Vince allegedly engaged in, and just how much did they know about it. It's likely only a few people knew all the awful details, and some (while they might have suspected such things were going on) didn't really know much at all.

Some WWE stars have said Vince was nice and kind backstage. And it's possible he WAS kind to them backstage. Abusers don't show their horrible, abusive sides to everyone. Sometimes they're friendly with other people, and have good working relationships with them.

Take for example Bill Cosby. When more and more women came forward with their horror stories about Cosby's actions, some of Cosby's former co-stars were shocked and surprised, and said things like "That's not the Bill Cosby I know". The response to that was "Maybe that's true, but it IS the Bill Cosby other people know."

Of course, Vince DID act like an a-hole in various non-sexual ways as well, screwing over wrestlers in various ways. The infamous Montreal Screwjob is probably the best known example, but so many others lost their push or otherwise got treated unfairly due to either fallings out with Vince or Vince just not getting their gimmick, or because Vince wanted to push someone else instead. We could fill whole books with the stories of various people Vince has upset or screwed over.

(See above mentions of Dawn Marie and Jeff Jarrett, among others).

So it's not as if everyone on the roster was under the delusion that Vince was Mr. Nice Guy, either.

Reported Vince drafted and signed the NDAs without the company's knowledge

https://twitter.com/_denisesalcedo/s...00825945870644

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I already ran down how Dawn Marie herself was fired due to becoming pregnant and she was fired. Marie sued the company and they changed things about doing that after settling with her. (You maybe ignoring me too but its there)
    I must have missed your post about Dawn. This thread is more active than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Vince got a lot of flak from the media over the 'Trish Stratus being forced to bark like a dog' incident. He assured the media that it was his character, "Mr. McMahon" that was doing it, and that Trish would end up getting back at him at Wrestlemania.

Of course, that's just one of many incidents that (in light of all the allegations) make you wonder just where the 'Mr. McMahon' character ends and the actual Vince begins. It seems like the 'heel boss' character gave Vince an excuse to act like a misogynistic a-hole onscreen, saying that incidents like that (and of course the "Vince McMahon Kiss My A$$ Club") were things his 'character' was doing. He was hiding behind the "It's a character" excuse, all the while being an even worse person offscreen.

There's been some discussion (in this thread, and elsewhere on the Internet) about just who knew about the horrible behavior Vince allegedly engaged in, and just how much did they know about it. It's likely only a few people knew all the awful details, and some (while they might have suspected such things were going on) didn't really know much at all.

Some WWE stars have said Vince was nice and kind backstage. And it's possible he WAS kind to them backstage. Abusers don't show their horrible, abusive sides to everyone. Sometimes they're friendly with other people, and have good working relationships with them.

Take for example Bill Cosby. When more and more women came forward with their horror stories about Cosby's actions, some of Cosby's former co-stars were shocked and surprised, and said things like "That's not the Bill Cosby I know". The response to that was "Maybe that's true, but it IS the Bill Cosby other people know."

Of course, Vince DID act like an a-hole in various non-sexual ways as well, screwing over wrestlers in various ways. The infamous Montreal Screwjob is probably the best known example, but so many others lost their push or otherwise got treated unfairly due to either fallings out with Vince or Vince just not getting their gimmick, or because Vince wanted to push someone else instead. We could fill whole books with the stories of various people Vince has upset or screwed over.

(See above mentions of Dawn Marie and Jeff Jarrett, among others).

So it's not as if everyone on the roster was under the delusion that Vince was Mr. Nice Guy, either.
    Absolutely.

This is why I'm not shocked by Triple H's response to Vince's lawsuit during that Royal Rumble press conference. Yes he is very good at the creative side of his job, but as a supervisor he kinda sucks. Employees coming up to you and Stephanie with their complaints and not seeing internal investigations through because your father in law is at the root of it?

Won't be too shocked if he's ousted or reprimanded in the near future.

Absolutely.

This is why I'm not shocked by Triple H's response to Vince's lawsuit during that Royal Rumble press conference. Yes he is very good at the creative side of his job, but as a supervisor he kinda sucks. Employees coming up to you and Stephanie with their complaints and not seeing internal investigations through because your father in law is at the root of it?

Won't be too shocked if he's ousted or reprimanded in the near future.
    This is the thing though…I brought this up pages ago , the WWE in 2010s was a lot different than when it got streamlined to merge with UFC in 2023. The very size of the office and talent, mixed in with personal life could (could , not saying it’s a fact) have had them never know.

HHH was running NXT by one point. He was butting heads with Vince a lot though. Where once Hunter was hospitalized, Vince used it to take his power away as we saw. Some claims are HHH and Stephanie tried to fight him taking power in early 2023 and couldn’t stop him.

The entire deal is one where , it’s possible they just didn’t know how awful it really was. They knew about hush money payments but not how bad this is until now.

A lot of powerful people keep walls around the deeds they do. I mean the Ice Man Richard Kalinski killed a lot of people in 20+ years. But his family had no clue.