Page 90 of 181 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 2703

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Virgil has passed away.
    RIP Virgil

https://www.wrestlezone.com/news/144...-at-age-61/amp

WWE settled with MLW over their $10M anti-trust suit.

The original suit was amended to include tampering.

MLW argued WWE was engaging in unfair practices, including blocking ROH and AEW events. MLW also stated that WWE's Stephanie McMahon interfered with a MLW deal with FOX-owned streaming service Tubi.

WWE agreed to pay $20M prior to the case going to discovery.

So WWE apparently paid DOUBLE to avoid going to discovery. What were they worried about that would show up in discovery!?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Shawn Spears is back in NXT. If the same magic worked with Pillman Jr , so maybe it will work with him now.
    So will he be Shawn Spears, Tye Dillinger, or some new character?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    This turned out to be wrong. Drew still hasn't re-signed
    I find it hard to believe the WWE would have been pushing Drew so hard, World Title match at Wrestlemania and constantly trolling CM Punk IF there wasn't an undercover agreement on a contract extension if not a signed contract just kept under wraps. Making Drew this big right before leaving? That defies logic. In fact I'd wager a deal was in place right before this new "attitude" Drew appeared. IF Drew were about to leave the WWE soon for another promotion whomever is booking him now should be sued for malpractice against the WWE.

Extraordinary Member

R.I. P Virgil.

What NXT has done with him as Lexis King is way better than anything he's done in AEW
    I mean I wouldn't call anything aew or wwe did with him good or magic I tend to like the AEW stuff more I personally don't like the lexis king thing at all...

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I mean, they couldn't do anything with him in the decade plus they had him before...

People say that like AEW is a training program. It isn't.

Pillman Jr was given screen time with the assumption he would be able to get himself over, same as everyone in AEW. His character, wrestling, promos, etc, were all on him (I'm sure with assistance from others backstage of he asked).

He went to NXT and they are now moulding a character for him. I'm sure he has input, but they're putting their time and incredible resources into making something for him.

Some people need that, some don't, but Brian Pillman Jr isn't some proof of AEW's failing. It's proof that AEW wasn't the stage for him (at that point).

I actually always kinda liked him on the mic in a "he has years ahead to improve" way (funny enough, I don't really see anything in his then partner Griff).
    The gimmick he was put in was DOA on arrival really. The whole varsity team deal is passe unless you play it up for comedic value at times really...like the WWE has done with Alpha Academy.

Had they went complete comedic with it , having Pillman Jr and Garrison act like absurd , 80s style jocks. Taunting Tony and others as NERDS and having them dress etc that way in 80s prep fashion....Tony Khan could have had something. He had the elements there...he just well....he failed both men. And the only one who got over was the valet who went on to be a star in Julia Hart.

Those guys deserved better than what they were given.

Virgil has passed away.
    Sad news....as much crap as Virgil gets for how he tried to make money , he struggled and we really have to feel for the old guys like him. Who didn't know about how to handle money or savings.

MLW argued WWE was engaging in unfair practices, including blocking ROH and AEW events. MLW also stated that WWE's Stephanie McMahon interfered with a MLW deal with FOX-owned streaming service Tubi.

So WWE apparently paid DOUBLE to avoid going to discovery. What were they worried about that would show up in discovery!?

2 possible reasons....

- The 1st is this case likely could have cost them way more and uncovered years of dealings where they squashed companies from getting TV deals. Opening them to more lawsuits and money.

- The other theory is , with them facing huge backlash over Vince McMahon , TKO decided its best to pay money and settle things before it blows up more.

Either way MLW has an influx of cash and that should help them going forward.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    R.I. P Virgil.
    If there was a comic con, toy show, grand opening of a Giant Eagle, etc, Virgil would be there selling autographed pictures. I remember years ago, he was at a Home and Garden show at my local mall. He was sitting at a table in front of Payless shoe store with the Million Dollar Championship and a bunch of 8 x 10's. No one was around him, I felt kind of bad for him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    If there was a comic con, toy show, grand opening of a Giant Eagle, etc, Virgil would be there selling autographed pictures. I remember years ago, he was at a Home and Garden show at my local mall. He was sitting at a table in front of Payless shoe store with the Million Dollar Championship and a bunch of 8 x 10's. No one was around him, I felt kind of bad for him.
    Yeah I really didn't even know he was sick. Kind of a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah I really didn't even know he was sick. Kind of a shock.
    suffering from Dementia and had 2 strokes. There was a go fund me set up for him in December to help buy him clothes and toiletries for basic daily use. At the end he didn't any money. sad

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

MLW should be thanking Stephanie. Tubi is a cesspit

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Was watching Bobby Roode discuss his neck injury and retirement. Roode claims his neck 1st went bad back years ago during his 1st World title run in TNA. He never told anyone but he hurt his neck in a spot against Rob Van Dam.

He never blamed RVD and knew it wasn’t anyone’s fault. Well his neck seemingly healed up on its own.

Fast forward years later , he’s in the ring working against someone and after a bump he knew…that his neck was messed up again. So he finally had to go do the fusion surgery.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    suffering from Dementia and had 2 strokes. There was a go fund me set up for him in December to help buy him clothes and toiletries for basic daily use. At the end he didn't any money. sad
    Wow and at a relatively young age 61...yeah it is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The gimmick he was put in was DOA on arrival really. The whole varsity team deal is passe unless you play it up for comedic value at times really...like the WWE has done with Alpha Academy.

Had they went complete comedic with it , having Pillman Jr and Garrison act like absurd , 80s style jocks. Taunting Tony and others as NERDS and having them dress etc that way in 80s prep fashion....Tony Khan could have had something. He had the elements there...he just well....he failed both men. And the only one who got over was the valet who went on to be a star in Julia Hart.

Those guys deserved better than what they were given.

Sad news....as much crap as Virgil gets for how he tried to make money , he struggled and we really have to feel for the old guys like him. Who didn't know about how to handle money or savings.

2 possible reasons....

- The 1st is this case likely could have cost them way more and uncovered years of dealings where they squashed companies from getting TV deals. Opening them to more lawsuits and money.

- The other theory is , with them facing huge backlash over Vince McMahon , TKO decided its best to pay money and settle things before it blows up more.

Either way MLW has an influx of cash and that should help them going forward.
    AEW wrestlers write their own creative FYI.

It's not a place to go if you just want to do what someone tells you.

Swerve has his own writer and Moné does, too.

The booking team just books the winners and long term plans.

The grapplers have to fill in the gaps or get help to fill in the gaps.

Bringing in writers is a relatively new thing for AEW.

Pillman couldn't cut it because he was creative in matches, not on anything else. WWE is probably the better fit for him.
    MLW should be thanking Stephanie. Tubi is a cesspit
    They just got nearly 20x their annual revenue, lol.

Battle Riot is gonna have 100 guys this year, lol.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

AEW and WWE have worked out a deal via WBD to share and air clips of Sting during WCW and NWA as part of the lead up to Revolution.

Sapp seems to think WWE will be doing a shout out during Smackdown or the following RAW about his retirement.

Also, CMLL announced an AEW talent is coming in for an excursion. There's speculation it is Jericho. But no one knows who it is yet.