Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

A vicious cycle indeed! I wish they would start putting something on marvels website that would guide you as far as reading order or timeframe of events between titles so that morons like me could keep up with it all lol

Amazing Member

I guess I just miss the days of blue team/gold team and east coast/west coast it was a lot easier to keep up with things then

Quote Originally Posted by RDB2 View Post
    What about wolverine also? In avengers Steve puts him on hiatus, but he's still in Uncanny Avengers and is involved in the whole "celestial foot stomp thing" and Planet X thing and all, all while in amazing x-men he's up in Canada fighting the wendigo, but yet in Uncanny x-men he's there for the reading of Charles' will (along with other x-men who should still be in canada too), and I have no idea what's going on in his many solo titles cause I don't read them
    Jason Aaron addressed Wolverine's aparent talent to teleport to take part in several storylines at the same time in a quite funny pair of issues on his solo book a few years back.

They are well worth tracking down http://www.comicvine.com/wolverine-7...r/4000-157332/

A spoilery review can be found here - http://www.wolverinefiles.com/2009/0...w-two-for-one/

All-New Member

I think all these continuity glitches like between Original Sin and Captain America, Thor, etc. and the fact that Uncanny Avengers makes no sense to me as to how it fits in with continuity, these are all symptoms of time being broken in the MU. I really think Marvel is doing these continuity mess-ups on purpose, they are hints that the time space continuum is damaged and getting worse as we move towards the Time Runs Out event next year. So if something doesn't make sense, I just chalk it up to the time being broken mess.

Amazing Member

To me it is just incredible to read about retreats, long term plotting, and things like that and have all these incongruences, which happens, as someone notices, even on books edited by the same editor. I mean, given all this planning I suppose it should be possible to sit down and write a list that says what happens when, and then have writers stick to that.

The idea that "everything is going to add up in some months" has already proved wrong. Take New Avengers, Fantastic Four and FF during Fraction's run, when Mr Fantastic was lost in the multiverse but working on the incursions. The explanation, given after several months, was that he could project himself through the multiverse. Well, nice for him to be ubiquitous, but the consequence is that: he was able even to shoot aliens with a cannon in Tony's tower, to chat about this and that with the Swan BUT he was not able to drop a line to Ant-man and friends telling them that everything was all-righty... So in the end the explanation was even messier than saying nothing, and implied that the whole motivation to FF was contradictory

I mean, it would not take that much to make us happy.
    Last edited by AC/DC; 09-09-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I think Cap's conflict with the Illuminati will still play out.

Thor losing Mjolnir and Steve being aged happened right around the same time. It seems that UA has the aging happening first, but Original Sin has Thor losing Mjolnir first.

It's definitely conflicting, but you have to just shrug or it will drive you crazy.

I don't think it's wrong to expect some consistency with continuity, but now and again some hiccups will happen, it's just the nature of the business. And human nature as well...mistakes will happen.
    I think it's interesting detective work, that Marvel have got the continuity right, and it's just that we haven't got to that part of the story where it all makes sense. So far Remender and Hickman have both lined up, up to Original Sin. You just have to delay the issues sometimes and wait to the point where they do line up, and sometimes that takes a full 12 months.

You know that Cap will confront the Illuminati
    You know At some point Cap will lose the Super soldier serum and get old
    You know Thor will lose the hammer permanently to another Thor.

Even Jason Aaron contradicted himself in the same issue #8, where he had Thor struggling to lift the hammer in one panel, and suddenly holding the hammer later. Maybe it's Nanites in Thors blood stream, and when he's aggressive he can't hold Mjolnir, but if he's calm, he can hold the hammer. There will be an explanation.
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-09-2014 at 08:44 PM.

What about wolverine also? In avengers Steve puts him on hiatus, but he's still in Uncanny Avengers and is involved in the whole "celestial foot stomp thing" and Planet X thing and all, all while in amazing x-men he's up in Canada fighting the wendigo, but yet in Uncanny x-men he's there for the reading of Charles' will (along with other x-men who should still be in canada too), and I have no idea what's going on in his many solo titles cause I don't read them
    Like fury. Logan has a dozen LMDs. I think the Celestial Stomp was before Cap decides ditch Logan from the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcladmerc View Post
    I think all these continuity glitches like between Original Sin and Captain America, Thor, etc. and the fact that Uncanny Avengers makes no sense to me as to how it fits in with continuity, these are all symptoms of time being broken in the MU. I really think Marvel is doing these continuity mess-ups on purpose, they are hints that the time space continuum is damaged and getting worse as we move towards the Time Runs Out event next year. So if something doesn't make sense, I just chalk it up to the time being broken mess.
    Certainly time travel is a big part in the story lines now. I'm surprised the Illuminati never thought to use time travel before. Maybe that's where Tony and Reed went, when they came back from somewhere and cryptically comments that the guy they saw could handle the next 4 months at least. Uncanny Avengers retconned the Celestial foot stomp right out continuity, with time travel. Ageing Sharon Carter and Ian was a convoluted sort of time travel. Cap took a trip from now to 6 different futures in OS by time travel. The suspicious thing here is that Space-Time is not broken further, post Age of Ultron, considering time travel is the main mode of choice by the writers at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by AC/DC View Post
    To me it is just incredible to read about retreats, long term plotting, and things like that and have all these incongruences, which happens, as someone notices, even on books edited by the same editor. I mean, given all this planning I suppose it should be possible to sit down and write a list that says what happens when, and then have writers stick to that.

The idea that "everything is going to add up in some months" has already proved wrong. Take New Avengers, Fantastic Four and FF during Fraction's run, when Mr Fantastic was lost in the multiverse but working on the incursions. The explanation, given after several months, was that he could project himself through the multiverse. Well, nice for him to be ubiquitous, but the consequence is that: he was able even to shoot aliens with a cannon in Tony's tower, to chat about this and that with the Swan BUT he was not able to drop a line to Ant-man and friends telling them that everything was all-righty... So in the end the explanation was even messier than saying nothing, and implied that the whole motivation to FF was contradictory

I mean, it would not take that much to make us happy.
    It could be Reed could bodily return to Earth while he was time travelling with the FF, and that's why he could shoot the canon. Tony was in space that whole time so it was Tony who just projected his image to Reed. At least that's how I saw it. Reed would do the jumps to the Illuminati because he got the signal alarm in his hand, but he couldn't for Antman?

All-New Member

For me continuity seemed thrown out the door a while back. It's like the X-men movies, I try not to think about it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Reed would do the jumps to the Illuminati because he got the signal alarm in his hand, but he couldn't for Antman?
    Yep, that's more to the point. I don't know, maybe there is a way to figure it out by interpreting correctly some panels or some cryptic sentence from somebody, but yet, I don't have time to read four times each issue trying to figure out these things, and it is quite annoying that they have to make things that complicated "to tell good stories".

For me continuity is a big part of Marvel Universe charm. This is just a problem of sloppiness in the editorial management of MU.

Amazing Member

you know, maybe it is because of the fractured time and all, and I hope that's what it is and it all makes sense sooner or later, but you'd think after the 90's and all the time travel crap (mostly in the x-men titles) and how convoluted it all became that Marvel would hold back a bit and not do it as much (at least set up some kind of rules for time travel), but seems here in the last year or so they have went crazy with it again, now on the other hand they could use time travel and/or the fractured time thing to fix a lot of the convoluted crap and continuity stuff. I just thought of this too, cant remember the issue but in All New X-men Beast says something to the affect of time travel being broken or messed up or something, but this may have been addressed since then, I read almost 25 titles each month and have a hard time remembering things sometimes

you know, maybe it is because of the fractured time and all, and I hope that's what it is and it all makes sense sooner or later, but you'd think after the 90's and all the time travel crap (mostly in the x-men titles) and how convoluted it all became that Marvel would hold back a bit and not do it as much (at least set up some kind of rules for time travel), but seems here in the last year or so they have went crazy with it again, now on the other hand they could use time travel and/or the fractured time thing to fix a lot of the convoluted crap and continuity stuff. I just thought of this too, cant remember the issue but in All New X-men Beast says something to the affect of time travel being broken or messed up or something, but this may have been addressed since then, I read almost 25 titles each month and have a hard time remembering things sometimes
    There was one book where the Watcher visits Hank Mc Coy and is disappointed that Hank used time travel to upset the continuity of the X-Men by removing the O5 from the past, but it is never stated that the Beast Broke Time in doing so. So the idea that "killing your grandfather means you don't exist", doesn't apply in rules for Marvel time, it seems. Because Jean has prematurely attained her TK and Cyclops has learnt he kills his professor, so that's got to change the past, most of all because the O5 stopped existing in 1965, so how could the X-Men story even have progressed from that point onwards, in the 616 timeline?
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-10-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Amazing Member

"most of all because the O5 stopped existing in 1965, so how could the X-Men story even have progressed from that point onwards, in the 616 timeline?"[/QUOTE]
    No kiddin!!! that's something else that's had me more than a little confused, but when young Cyclops died for a minute or so old scott disappeared for a moment, so it seems there are some rules(when they decide they want there to be i guess)... but the Beast thing i was referring to was something like he was going to try and send back the O5 but couldn't for some reason, could have just been his time machine was broken maybe not time travel in general

Amazing Member

and why we are on the subject of the O5, can someone please tell me the motive for the future "evil" x-men in battle of the atom, like why they came back to try and deceive the x-men into sending the O5 back, was this addressed and I just missed it or something??