Default Theory: Dominions are actually Ouroboros

Theory: Dominions are actually Ouroboros

Came to me in a flash.

So a Dominion would not exist through all of history, but only since the being that became a Dominion came into being.

So the Sinister Dominion/Enigma for example would not predate the existence of Nathaniel Essex, or even his first creation of the Enigma AI.

This could explain how Dominions seem limited in their reach through space/time.

It's a solid theory but I'm already having enough trouble wrapping my head around all the high concept stuff. I need some more time to study lol.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

I don't see it... I was under the impression that Ouroboros is from the Marvel Cinematic Universe while a Dominion within the pages are the highest possible ranks of Interstellar Intelligence, existing outside spacetime and possessing godlike powers that cannot be quantified...

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    I don't see it... I was under the impression that Ouroboros is from the Marvel Cinematic Universe while a Dominion within the pages are the highest possible ranks of Interstellar Intelligence, existing outside spacetime and possessing godlike powers that cannot be quantified...
    The Ouroboros I am referring to is not a character but the real-world mythology from which the character in your link draws their name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros
    The ouroboros or uroboros (/ˌjʊərəˈbɒrəs/; /ˌʊərəˈbɒrəs/) is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail. The ouroboros entered Western tradition via ancient Egyptian iconography and the Greek magical tradition. It was adopted as a symbol in Gnosticism and Hermeticism and most notably in alchemy.

The ouroboros is often interpreted as a symbol for eternal cyclic renewal or a cycle of life, death and rebirth; In Gnosticism, a serpent biting its tail symbolized eternity and the soul of the world.[ The Gnostic Pistis Sophia (c. 400 CE) describes the ouroboros as a twelve-part dragon surrounding the world with its tail in its mouth.
    It's also referenced in the Zohar, textual source of Kabbalah and also Norse Mythology with the World Serpent, among others.

The Phoenix with its Pyre and the Dragon with its Ouroboros are two of the oldest representations of a cycle of death and rebirth, with the Dragon in Ouroboros its end is its beginning. The Dragon is, the Dragon was, the Dragon will ever be...

Of course, the Dragon in Ouroboros should encompass all of creation as it exists before and after creation, where a Dominion in Ouroboros likely encompasses only its own creation.

This could also be a part of the motivation for the Machine Dominions assimilations, as assimilating something that predates it could expand its reach further back in time, the same way adding more Titans into a Dominion expands its reach across space.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    The Ouroboros I am referring to is not a character but the real-world mythology from which the character in your link draws their name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

It's also referenced in the Zohar, textual source of Kabbalah and also Norse Mythology with the World Serpent, among others.

The Phoenix with its Pyre and the Dragon with its Ouroboros are two of the oldest representations of a cycle of death and rebirth, with the Dragon in Ouroboros its end is its beginning. The Dragon is, the Dragon was, the Dragon will ever be...

Of course, the Dragon in Ouroboros should encompass all of creation as it exists before and after creation, where a Dominion in Ouroboros likely encompasses only its own creation.

This could also be a part of the motivation for the Machine Dominions assimilations, as assimilating something that predates it could expand its reach further back in time, the same way adding more Titans into a Dominion expands its reach across space.

Well then, and honestly, I don't believe "real-world" and "mythology" should be used consecutively in the same sentence when talking about comic books...
    Last edited by Micabe; 01-15-2024 at 03:59 AM.