Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default After Magneto's redemption, which villain takes his place?

I mean specifically as the the leading mutant supremacist villain. I agree that he should not have been regressed in the 90s, but there's no denying that he has firmly held that role in the history of the comics. So, who is the most prominent character who fits that role after him? Which character would you like to fit that role after him? Because I feel like that's a segment that's needed.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I mean specifically as the the leading mutant supremacist villain. I agree that he should not have been regressed in the 90s, but there's no denying that he has firmly held that role in the history of the comics. So, who is the most prominent character who fits that role after him? Which character would you like to fit that role after him? Because I feel like that's a segment that's needed.
    Charles. 10 chars

Hellion. He was compared to Magneto in his early days, and characters all speculated that he would go too far and become a villain. He's also completely right about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

En Sabah Nur
    "Cable was right!"

I actually really think this could be a great era for Cyclops. He's been portrayed that way in the canon media for so long, and they've done everything possible to neuter him in the last decade. He was closing in on it during AvX / Phoenix Five. I'd love to see it explored. The first X-Man, usually regarded as the X-Men's greatest (field) leader...
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Exodus was meant to fill that role when Magneto was out of commission post-Fatal Attractions and then went Joseph in the mid-90's... but Paris Bennett was never a particularly compelling character until recently frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Charles. 10 chars
    Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Hellion. He was compared to Magneto in his early days, and characters all speculated that he would go too far and become a villain. He's also completely right about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    I actually really think this could be a great era for Cyclops. He's been portrayed that way in the canon media for so long, and they've done everything possible to neuter him in the last decade. He was closing in on it during AvX / Phoenix Five. I'd love to see it explored. The first X-Man, usually regarded as the X-Men's greatest (field) leader...
    I don't want heroes to be villains.

Magneto hasn't been a villain in the sense of being a great mutant leader opposing Xavier's dream since the Genosha era.

Poccy has been treated as the new old Magneto. The question is who will be the new new Magneto.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Mutant supremacists don’t make sense after the past 25 years. I think they should have anti-heroes who are willing to do anything to protect Mutants from the relentless, soulless, human aggression. They can conflict with the naive dreamers who think that if Mutants just behave like nice little helper monkeys, humans will stop wiping out Mutants one day. Lots of people could lead a movement like that.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don't want heroes to be villains.
    Honestly, while I still think Hellion is ultimately a good guy, there's a foundation for him being a sympathetic anti-villain. It could easily dovetail with his characterization, his past, and how he's been treated. There's already been stories where he toed the line or gone against the X-Men.

He already convinced mutants to lead aggressive riots against oppressive humans. He has issues with authority. He puts his friends' well-being over the law and will do whatever he can to see his idea of justice done.
    Last edited by Rift; 01-14-2024 at 05:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    No one wants villain Cyclops.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

I feel like Stryfe has the potential to be a great villain. Then, he should reform the Mutant Liberation Front to be formidable with a roster such as Phantasia, Emplate, Sienna Blaze, Pyro, Avalanche, with some old members like Forearm, Wildside, Reaper, etc.
    Peerless and Fearless

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    En Sabah Nur
    The problem with Apocalypse in that role is that he has no connection or relation to the modern world and it's people. He is an evil relic from the past come to haunt the modern people with his ancient mindset of how the world should be like.

He is akin to emperor Qin Shi Huang comming out of his grave, covered in alien mercury that makes him immortal, turning his terracotta army into real soldiers and declaring that he is going to re-conquer China to create a new empire where everyone who ever reads a book is getting killed.

He is narratively not that different from an alien conquerer or interdimensional demon lord and just as disconnected from modern mutants.

Meanwhile despite his actual age and backround, evil Magneto is arguably still reflective of the modern mindset and ideology of supremacist, which in turn makes it reasonable that mutants of different modern nationality, culture or societies would be reciptive of his vision.

So a successor to Magneto would also work better if they are likewise of a contemporary backround.

Good point. I’d like to see some new villains created myself.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Magneto hasn't been a villain in the sense of being a great mutant leader opposing Xavier's dream since the Genosha era.
    I'm aware.

The question is who will be the new new Magneto.
    I did think a villainous Joseph had potential. Retaining the worst qualities of villainous Magneto while allowing the OG to remain reformed. Unless that is too similar.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Mutant supremacists don’t make sense after the past 25 years.
    You mean because bad writing has allowed said ideology to seep into the characters who are supposed to be heroes?

I think they should have anti-heroes who are willing to do anything to protect Mutants from the relentless, soulless, human aggression. They can conflict with the naive dreamers who think that if Mutants just behave like nice little helper monkeys, humans will stop wiping out Mutants one day. Lots of people could lead a movement like that.
    Fundamentally misunderstanding the entire franchise? Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Honestly, while I still think Hellion is ultimately a good guy, there's a foundation for him being a sympathetic anti-villain.
    I think he's better as heroic or antiheroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    No one wants villain Cyclops.
    Agreed. Scott should be a good person with a firm gasp on his morals. Not a cheating Diet Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsarchamp View Post
    I feel like Stryfe has the potential to be a great villain.
    He does, but if we are going to go with a clone, Joseph's right there.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 01-14-2024 at 06:46 PM.