Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Cheating a bit since it's a TV show but there's the alien-possessed Remmick from Star Trek TNG season one conspiracy who swallows an alien worm, his neck pulsates and then Picard and Riker phaser him to death so much that his skin melts off and his head explodes! Not only that, his abdomen further melts to reveal the alien "Queen". Yikes!
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Rooney on the school bus.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Hopefully this counts, but my next choice would be the scene when Alex meets Le Tenia from Irréversible (2002):

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Its not a movie, but in Star Trek TOS there is this episode called "By Any Other Name" where the Kelvans can turn a person into this spongy octohedron blocks, reducing them into their constituent elements. That one scene where the leader turns two crew members into those block thingies and then slowly crushes one is pretty horrifying. "This crewman is dead."
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-24-2024 at 12:14 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

TOS did have a lot of kind of scary stuff here and there-the disease in MIRI, the true form of the salt vampire, the punishments in CHARLIE X including one crew member deprived of her face.

Funny thing is the only episode really intended as a "Halloween" episode, Catspaw, is probably one of the least scary.

The "giant" cat is more cuddly than scary.

I watched the Deer Hunter the other night, and I'd say that ending scene with Deniro and Walken is horrifying and gut wrenching, even when you know it's coming
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Catch 22
    I had only seen the edited versions on TV. When I saw the unedited, two scenes had me jump and my girlfriend got ill. When Hungry Joe is hit by the plane while on a platform in the sea, and then his lifeless lower torso falls backward into the water (looked shockingly good for a late 60s/early 70s scene). I knew he died, but never saw that coming. And when Snowden "spills his guts" as it was written in the book. I had no idea what shook Alan Arkin up so much until I saw that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I'd go back to the New Hollywood period:

The "Squeal like a pig" scene from Deliverance.
    Pick a scene, almost any scene, from Midnight Express.
    The broken legs scene from The Deer Hunter.

And from later on... scenes from the adaptations of Hubert Selby Jr.'s books Last Exit to Brooklyn (the climactic Tralala scene) or the ending scene in the adaptation of Requiem for a Dream.

That sort of thing is what I find to be where the true "non-horror" horror lies and why those movies have so much power.
    I second the scene from Deliverance.

Hopefully this counts, but my next choice would be the SLOTH scene from Se7en (1995):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]Hopefully this counts, but my next choice would be the SLOTH scene from Se7en (1995):
    I see your Sloth, and raise you Lust.

We don't actually see it, but it is conceptually the most horrific.

OK, so Gremlins I feel straddles the line some, It's got more of a foot in comedy and sci-fi over straight up horror, even if that maybe how it is labeled. I mean we're not talking about Critters or Ghoulies that were more straight up. I was in 2nd grade when it came out and the 80s kids saw and heard a lot. It was always more cool than scary, the death by microwave was a new concept to me. Hell, so was a microwave at that time. But Stripe, with the revolver and him figuring it out. Mann and I wanted the big 14" Stripe but Moms was like hell no. Just that image of him with that strap still kind of unsettles me.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    TOS did have a lot of kind of scary stuff here and there-the disease in MIRI, the true form of the salt vampire, the punishments in CHARLIE X including one crew member deprived of her face.

Funny thing is the only episode really intended as a "Halloween" episode, Catspaw, is probably one of the least scary.

The "giant" cat is more cuddly than scary.

Yes Catspaw was a fun one. Not many Space-Halloween episodes exist. This might be the only one ever made.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The scene of Stripe's last ditch attempt to lunge at Billy with just his skeleton is also unpleasant as well.

It's kind of interesting how a lot of Spielberg's late 70s and early 80's work-directed and otherwise-really kind of stretched the PG rating and was kind of more edgy while these days a lot of his films geared toward younger audiences are generally more family friendly.

POLTERGEIST although basically a horror film seemed like it would've been rated R if some of the original ideas were left in.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and ET might have had 'friendly' aliens but they really put Roy and Gillian through UTTER HELL by pretty much destroying Roy's sanity and family and abducting Barry from Gillian.

Then in ET there's the whole bit where Elliot and ET get sick (With him deathly pale), and astronauts in full gear invade Elliot's house!

Funny thing is GREMLINS, POLTERGEIST and ET largely take ideas from Spielberg's dropped film NIGHT SKIES. It was basically about Aliens (Except for one friendly one ala ET and Gizmo) terrifying a family who lived on a farm (and some say could've inspired SIGNS and CRITTERS as well).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-26-2024 at 01:57 PM.

Daughter/Mother Death Scene from À ma sœur! (2001):

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-27-2024 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.