Default Speculation on the edition for Wonder Woman: the Bronze Age

Posted this in other forum, But I thought it would be funny to put it here as well, since it seems DC may start editing the Bronze Age sooner than later

WONDER WOMAN BRONZE AGE VOL 1

Attachment 137074

Wonder Woman numbers 204-232, DC Comics Presents 9, the Brave and the bold 131

This would include several hits, like Nubia's first appereance with Kanigher's return, the Twelve labors arc, and the Martin Pasko run. To make it more marketeable, it should have Nubia's first appereance as the main cover. Or perhaps the cover for 213, as it features the most famous arc from the Bronze Age, the twelve Labours.

WONDER WOMAN BRONZE AGE VOL 2

Attachment 137075

Wonder Woman numbers 233-258, + All-New Collectors' Edition Vol 1 C-54, DC comics presents 32, World's Finest 251, 252, the Brave and the bold 131, 140, DC Spetial 9, Adventure comics 461,

It's gery Conway time, baby! Here enter the first non-Wonder Woman comic that I know about, which was published during the same time that Conway started his run on Wondy taking her to WWII (bronze age wonder woman was nuts) I had my doubts, but it seems most likely to leave it in 26 numbers for this omnibus, so that it stops before Conway's second run. the easiest cover is either this one, or the one from number 237, as its ominous enough.

(NOTE: if DC wants to cut material from somewhere, it seems easy to just leave this omnibus with the Gerry Conway stuff, leaving it at 242, or leave it at Pasko's run at 254, so that the Levitz numbers are added in vol 3, while it would end at some where between 286 or 287. Any cut on this omnibuses should consider that a lot of this stuff was done by Jack harris, so it would make the most sense to consider it all a definite pack that souldn't be separated)

WONDER WOMAN BRONZE AGE VOL 3

Attachment 137076

Wonder Woman numbers 259-295, DC Comics Presents 41, DC Retroactive: Wonder Woman – The '80s, brave and the bold 158

The second Conway run plus some actually interesting stuff, like a crossover with Teen titans written by Wolfman, plus Roy Thomas brief tenure and the first oficial credits for women in the title. It can be entirely possible to put so many numbers in a same omnibus because here we start having back-ups starring Huntress that could leave the main series on a 18-23 pages basis. The Huntress numbers should be published totally apart, making this compresion more possible, alltho I dont know about the Donna troy features. For the cover, it's easier to think it will be number 269, they should avoid taking one with the Huntress back-up anounced

Also, ive put the Retroactive spetial here since it needs more content (whis would be an omnibus of very possibly less than 800 pages) but if they make this series in 5 omnibuses, the spetial could be placed somewhere else with Conway in it, even in the latest one.

WONDER WOMAN BRONZE AGE VOL 4

Wonder Woman numbers 296-329, DC Comics Presents 76

Sadly, it's not possible to put all the Gene Colan material in a same omnibus, as it's already compromising to put son many numbers in the same omnibus. but it's really fair to at least expect the latest two years of Earth 1 Wonder Woman to be put together on the same omnibus, plus perhaps some pages from CoIE. For the cover, what else but the one from the latest number itself, 329, by JLGL? It's really very iconic (cbr doesnt leave me to put more than 3 images, but you know of what Im talking about)

(NOTE: second cut is harder, but DC could technically cut vol 3-4 at number 295, end of Roy Thomas run, so they can milk out a new tome. But me, personally, I prefer this composition of 4 omnibuses of 800-ish pages more than 5 with 600-ish pages. Other cuts get weirder, as they would require to mutilate Dan Mishkin's long run)

Volumes 3 and 4 leave me doubtful, as in theory there's too much stuff for just 2 omnibuses, but there really isn't enough for a third one. At most, there must be 1400 pages, see the problem? If they want they could cut material from the first 3 omnibuses to leave them on 600-ish pages so the maths apply, one can only guess at this point. I think I've put all relevant Wonder Woman stories from the time (mostly the ones with the same contemporary creative times) but I may be leaving something outside? If anyone knows, point it out to me.
    Last edited by Garrac; 01-15-2024 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    I think I've put all relevant Wonder Woman stories from the time (mostly the ones with the same contemporary creative times) but I may be leaving something outside? If anyone knows, point it out to me.
    I'd include Adventure Comics #461 (the first team up with Donna Troy) and DC Special #9 (The Cosmic Quest for the Disc of Mars). I believe she also had some team ups with Batman in the Brave and the Bold, though I'm not sure how relevant they are. Maybe some Donna-centric issues from the New Teen Titans might be included as well, since some of them feature Diana and/or Hippolyta.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'd include Adventure Comics #461 (the first team up with Donna Troy) and DC Special #9 (The Cosmic Quest for the Disc of Mars). I believe she also had some team ups with Batman in the Brave and the Bold, though I'm not sure how relevant they are. Maybe some Donna-centric issues from the New Teen Titans might be included as well, since some of them feature Diana and/or Hippolyta.
    Good catches, you're totally right! i'll them to the list plus the issues of TbatB Ive found. About Donna titans issues, i can't find anything on the Perez-Wolfman run exclusive enough to justify it's inclussion, except for those back-ups, which I don't know if have been edited by DC somewhere else (which is the same criteria they seem to be using for the Justice League stuff)

Mostly, if a Teen Titan comic is edited in Teen Titans reeditions, seems more likely that theyll be kept there seeing how DC's classic editions policy works
    Last edited by Garrac; 01-15-2024 at 07:18 AM.

huh, so the Mod era counts as silver age then?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    huh, so the Mod era counts as silver age then?
    It's already edited on a single omnibus, and it seems like DC would probably prefer it to stay like that, seeing that theyve kept it on print all these years.

Only exception I made to the rule (one which I think DC will do as well) is to include the number 204. That is also on the Diana Prince omnibus, but it makes sense for starting this series because it's the first issue of Kanigher's return, and there's a sort-of continuing story later on number 205, if I remember well.

Astonishing Member

I do think of MOD Diana Prince stories as Bronze Age, but I'm fine with a volume that concentrated on the post mod era -- since MOD has been covered in different formats. I started reading WW just after the MOD era, but was aware of that era. It's funny that in the comics, she was just WW again with no questions -- until that 12 labors arc. If I was going to pick a cover from that story, I'd go with 212--- the one featuring the JLA -- and she looks very similar to her Super Friends incarnation. But #206 is one of my favorite WW covers of all time -- but Nubia was such a short-lived character that it probably wouldn't make sense to feature it.

Spectacular Member

Is this in development? I know there's another golden age omnibus coming this year but I haven't heard anything about any Bronze Age material. Historically, DC doesn't really acknowledge much of Diana's Bronze Age history outside of the 12 Labors story and the Lynda Carter TV show. But Bronze Age WW is MY WW and I would love to see that era get some love and recognition!

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    Is this in development? I know there's another golden age omnibus coming this year but I haven't heard anything about any Bronze Age material. Historically, DC doesn't really acknowledge much of Diana's Bronze Age history outside of the 12 Labors story and the Lynda Carter TV show. But Bronze Age WW is MY WW and I would love to see that era get some love and recognition!
    Who knows, this is entirely just speculation. But DC seems like it's really closing in with the rest of the editions, so I'd say it's safe to say it will come, some day, before the decade ends.

Astonishing Member

DC solicited a Bronze Age Supergirl omnibus years ago -- and it never saw print. I guess those of us who are still interested could collect those digitally. I own a good bit of the Adventure Comics era, but was hoping for a bound collection. Wonder Woman's stories may have a bit more cache, and the 12 labors were collected in trade, so an omnibus is definitely possible.

I wouldn't include any Titans stories either -- though bless Wolfman and Perez for including Diana and Hippolyta -- and doing that story with the Hyperion and the Titans that involved the amazon. For years, there was little evidence that Donna was even connected to the Wonder Woman world.

I'm ashamed that I forgot Legend of Wonder Woman by Kurt Busiek and Trina Robbins - one of the best Bronze Age stories

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'm ashamed that I forgot Legend of Wonder Woman by Kurt Busiek and Trina Robbins - one of the best Bronze Age stories
    Didn't include it because it's already edited, but may be the latter half of Wondy Bronze Age comics (from 288-296 to 329) may be cut in half to put Legend of Wonder Woman on the second omnibus, plus some Crisis stuff.

The problem I still see it's that this would requite to cut Dan Mishkin's run in half, and that just sucks. Not that I'm nostalgic about it, but it was the first long run in WW for a very long while.